- advertisement -

How many of you struggle at night with sleepy kids?

Discussion in 'Parents of Children with Type 1' started by zell828, Jul 28, 2008.

1. zell828

zell828 Approved members

So last night at 9 pm my SD has a 58. I give her 2 glasses of milk and she eats some pepperoni slices, then she goes to bed. Usually milk works fast on her so I figured she would be fine. At 9:30 I recheck after she fell asleep, she's only raised to 80. At 10:00 p.m. she's at 110. By 10:15 I figure I will give her 4 oz of juice to kick it up faster. OMG - trying to get her to take juice was a struggle!!!! She sits up, half out of it, says "okay" and doesn't do anything. I say "drink the juice" and she says "oh...okay" and sits there. I finally got her to take one sip and she crashed again so I gave up. She was 129 by 10:30 and I figured the milk would continually rise it more (which it did because she was 196 at 2:00 am and then 150 at 7:00 am). I would have really had a struggle if I would have had to get her to take the WHOLE box of juice! I guess I will go 1/2 milk and 1/2 juice next time to raise it faster - live and learn. But I like the milk at night solely because of it having protein and in the past it usually did raise her faster than that. I guess it was a stubborn low and didn't want to raise fast that time.

Last edited: Jul 28, 2008
  2. AmyMcCracken

AmyMcCracken Approved members

I have problems with Kaylie, too. What I found is if I warm up her milk or give her room temp juice, she can drink it without waking up. If it is cold, she wakes up and gets mad.:rolleyes:

3. zell828

zell828 Approved members

That didn't even help me as the juice I gave my SD was room temperature :rolleyes:

4. KelliTwins

KelliTwins Approved members

Greg is very upset when we have to wake him up! He cries, whines, etc. It makes me feel so bad! We try to bring him into our bed to give him his snack, which he loves, so that does seem to help. We also give things like yogurt, which don't require any chewing! :)

5. robinseggs

robinseggs Approved members

At 59 we get out the "big guns" lol :D ....that is the pancake syrup --works every time!

6. robinseggs

robinseggs Approved members

GREAT idea!!!

7. zell828

zell828 Approved members

I was tempted to get the cake gel out and rub it in her mouth but I figured she would have REALLY been mad :p

And does D know things because I was really tired since I only got 4 hours of sleep the night before. Why do things like this happen when you are already tired???? lol

8. danismom79

danismom79 Approved members

I keep jelly beans and a juice box next to the bed. If I slip the straw in her mouth, she just starts drinking, I don't even sit her up. And she's always in the mood for candy!

I never tried milk for a low, I figured the fat and protein would slow it down. :confused:

9. simom

simom Approved members

Ice Cream. My son (4) will almost always gladly wake up if I tell him we have some ice cream for him.
    The sugar in it raises his numbers pretty quickly, and then the fat/protein helps the number stick. (Not sure on the whole technical basis for that)
    I'm sure our dentist wouldn't love it - but I'll do what works.

10. zell828

zell828 Approved members

It's skim milk, no fat. In our hospital book it lists milk (1 cup) as a fast acting carb. We never had trouble with it not working fast. I usually give milk at bedtime only since there is protein in it if she is lower than I like her number to be. It always brought my SD up fast - except for last night! That was a first where it didn't work fast for us. So I will know in the future to go 1/2 and 1/2 if it is that low and I have to bring it up for a good number at bedtime. Maybe the next time it will work fast, but I still don't want another night where I am sitting there over an hour waiting when I am tired if it decides it doesn't want to.

11. MyAngelEmma

MyAngelEmma Approved members

Emma is a hard sleeper. She never wakes up during nightly finger pokes and sometimes when trying to treat a low she will sit up and then fall straight backwards!:eek: She never opens her eyes when she is drinking either and goes right back to sleep.

I think she is aware of us being there though because DH went in to her room the other night just to check on her and covered her up. He said she was sound asleep but opened her hand and offered him a finger. He thought that was so funny because when he IS in there to check her sometimes she will pull her hand away and stick it under her body!:rolleyes:

12. Tigerlilly's mom

Tigerlilly's mom Approved members

I give Tyler gogurts while he is sleeping. I put the tube into his mouth and just squeeze it in. He sleeps through the whole thing!! The protein in the gogurt works out better than a juicebox for keeping his bg up. One time I didn't have gogurts:eek:, but had the drinkable yogurts and just put a straw in and it worked too.

13. Amy C.

Amy C. Approved members

For some reason, my son will always suck juice from a straw -- no matter how sleepy he is. He has never woken up to do this.

14. hawkeyegirl

hawkeyegirl Approved members

It is very, very hard to get my son to eat or drink anything while he is asleep. It's been a while since I had to treat an actual low during the night, but I dread the day when it happens again.

15. Jacob'sDad

Jacob'sDad Approved members

No problem with sleepy kids. Just sleepy Dad.:cwds:

16. KitKat

KitKat Approved members

And sleepy Moms :D

17. Treysmom

Treysmom Approved members

Trey is very hard to give juice/milk to even being warmed. I hate it when I have to give it to him. I try to not wake him but he usually gets up and walks around(he is a sleepwalker sometimes).

18. sugarmonkey

sugarmonkey Approved members

Ditto.
    We always use juices at night. They work fast. Never used milk, but then we don't very often have milk in the house anymore, its got too expensive here.

19. mom2kenny

mom2kenny Approved members

we do stawberry or choc milk(little extra umph) for a mild low.

20. kyleesmom

kyleesmom Approved members

We have that problem here too. I have started buying the smallest juice boxes I can find AND ones that arent so squeezable. I got tired of wearing the juice because she would push my hand away or I would put it in her hand and tell her to drink and for some reason she would squeeze it. Kylee is a VERY heavy sleeper. She can sleep through anything and is next to impossible to wake up.