- advertisement -

How many meters do you use?

Discussion in 'Parents of Children with Type 1' started by ashtensmom, Sep 11, 2011.

1. hdm42

hdm42 Approved members

We have three in regular use. One that stays in his kit & goes everywhere with him, one downstairs at home for meal-time tests, and one upstairs in his room for nighttime tests. We have a spare at school in the nurse's office, and a blood ketone meter at home as well.

2. kiwikid

kiwikid Approved members

One at home, one at school, one in grab-and-go bag - all download to Co-pilot :cwds:
    (And have one at the neighbours who has Rachel most often, but it's only used a couple of times a month)

3. RacerWife7

RacerWife7 Approved members

We use 2 - one for home and one that stays at school all year. We bring the home one upstairs at night and back down in the morning. We only JUST started doing that. We used to go downstairs, get the meter, go back up, test him, then go back down. We've found it much easier to have it upstairs. My hubby does our 11PM check - when he does that, he leaves it in Ty's room. In the morning, we bring it back down.

4. Butterfly Betty

Butterfly Betty Approved members

We have three. Two at school, in her classroom and in the nurse's office, and one at home that we use all the time.

5. Scribe

Scribe Approved members

I have never had more than one. My current meter is six-years old and travels with me. It stays downstairs at night, along with all food and other d stuff. Makes life very simple.

6. Nancy in VA

Nancy in VA Approved members

Just one.

I have a backup one tucked in the console of the car for the few times we forget the meter while we are out. But 99.9% of the time, its the one meter that we use. We carry it up at night and leave it on a corner bookshelf right inside her door for the overnight checks and in the morning, she checks herself and then brings it down.

when she went to preschool, it then went in her backpack and she would get it out at snack and lunch and then bring it home. Only once in two years did it not get back in her backpack at the end of the day.

7. caspi

caspi Approved members

When my son was on MDI, we had about 4 we used - they were all over the place, lol. Now that he's on the Omnipod, we use that almost exclusively. The only exception is when he's going out in the neighborhood to play tennis or basketball - he has a meter in his D bag he carries with him - there is no need for him to have his PDM with him when he's that close to home.

8. liasmommy2000

liasmommy2000 Approved members

Now we have just one that is used regularly. It is carried in a small bag (a purse now that she's in middle school) wherever she goes along with other supplies. We have back-up meters at home and the school but rarely use them. Maybe once a month do we have to put one in action.

When she was younger we used more as she didn't test in class and went to the office. We would put her meter in her backpack but she often would forget to take it to the office with her. That was a pain when it came to getting the numbers for the endo's office. The school wrote it down but it was a pain for me to go through the times and write them down in order etc. SO much easier with just one meter (especially the USB meter we now use, just plug it in and it's all there).

When she was younger it was all so much harder for many reasons. The older she gets the easier all the logistics and everything else are. Of course the teen years are approaching so I'm knocking on wood lol.

9. lisac

lisac Approved members

We use the Ping meter almost exclusively. When we unexpectedly run out of test strips:eek: she has a back-up that takes my husband's test strips (they each have their own Contour USB since my husband is finally taking his D seriously and trying to get his numbers down, he has to send his numbers to his endo more than we do for Hads!) We try HARD not to share, as I wouldn't be able to tell their numbers apart as they are so similar!!

10. momof2greatkids

momof2greatkids Approved members

We are using four. One downstairs, upstairs (for night testing), school, and one in her backpack since she walks home most days.