- advertisement -

How many meters did you go thru before...

Discussion in 'Parents of Children with Type 1' started by gboysmom, Aug 30, 2009.

1. gboysmom

gboysmom Approved members

finding one you liked?

We started out with the One Touch Ultra mini (at the hospital) and it was okay. Then was given the AccuChek Aviva by JDRF and Griffen really liked the "poker" better on that one, so we switched.

So, we ran out of strips for the Aviva we have here at home. Griffen has one at school too and left it there over the weekend, so the strips we have won't work in the one at home (code key issue).

Sigh...so we were given a Bayer Contour and discovered it doesn't need coding. Whoohoo!

I so hate to call the endo and ask for yet another strip prescription. LOL

So, that would be THREE meters we've toy'd with...still have a Freestyle Lite that we've only opened and checked out. That would be #4!

What meter do you guys prefer and why, if I might ask!

2. Mistync991

Mistync991 Approved members

for the avavia our cde told us that the key only dates it so as long as you have a key that is not out of date it should get you by untill you can get the other one

for onetouch the code does more than just date so it will mess up and read wrong if you have the code in

the bear one is nice ...we use onetouch now but im thinking of either switching to to the accuchek or freestyle lite it is just such a pain since we have so many onetouch

3. mmgirls

mmgirls Approved members

contour, no coding and it is easy for small hands to use.

Poker from Accuchek.

As th end fo another sample of the contour and strips too and a RX at the same time, if you are on the fence.

4. Christopher

Christopher Approved members

Have used the Freestyle since dx and like it a lot. It uses the worlds smallest blood sample size and it has a built in light that comes in very handy at night or in a dark place like a movie theater.

5. StillMamamia

StillMamamia Approved members

We started out with the OneTouch Ultra, but have since switched to the Accu-Check Aviva with the Multiclix. Loving it!:D

6. misscaitp

misscaitp Approved members

In this order

1. Accu-check advantage (that meter takes like 45 seconds to read your BG)
    2. Accu-check Compact (I was just happy to get a meter that did it in 10 seconds)
    3. Accu-check compact plus (I like how the poker was attached to the meter)
    4. One touch ultrasmart (My mom wanted me to have one that could log, but after the first week I stopped logging in the meter)
    5. BD Link(which is my personal favorite, I just like the test strips)
    6. Ultralink minimed (I only use this because it links and the most recent one)

I currently use the Ultralink with the BD poker.

I've tried other meters in between, like the ultra mini and aviva, but those are the main ones.

7. sugarmonkey

sugarmonkey Approved members

Well, we tried 2. But in NZ until very recently we only had a choice of two: accu chek and optium (can't remember what that's called in the US). I like the individually wrapped strips in the optium. Phillip was always dropping the accu chek ones and then we'd have to ditch the whole vial. In the last 2-3 months the health ministry here approved another. I can't remember which one. We're happy with the optium so we're sticking with them for now.

ETA: We use the multiclix from the accu chek. The poker that came with the optium is useless.

8. manwkids

manwkids Approved members

I still have a bottle of avavia strips left and i was not using them because I had lost the code card. That is great to know. :D Thanks,

9. liasmommy2000

liasmommy2000 Approved members

We started with the Contour and have tried many others, but never for long. Not having to code is a big issue for us. We have trouble getting enough blood or something for the One Touch meters. We waste a lot of strips with them. The Accu-Check seems fine, but there is the coding.

We did like the Freestyle Lite quite well (no coding!) but, and this is a VERY minor thing, the bottle was so small we had trouble getting the strips out. And much more importantly our insurance wouldn't cover the strips. So once we ran out of all the freebies we got from Abbott, we went back to the Contour. The light on it was very nice though, I still miss it.

Except for the first month or so we have never used any poker other than the Mulit-Clix. We use it no matter what meter we are trying.

10. Heather(CA)

Heather(CA) Approved members

Same here:D

11. colebenmom

colebenmom Approved members

We use the FreeStyle lite since dx and like it a lot. I didn't realize that other meters didn't have the little light's on them. It comes in handy for the 2 am checks. :) We did, however, switch to the Multiclix "poker" and don't think we will ever use a different lancing device.

12. PseudoJenn

PseudoJenn Approved members

The hospital gave us the Bayer Contour meter.. so that's what we went with.

At the JDRF walk, we got a sample of the Aviva Nano (all black) and the One Touch Ultra Mini I believe. I didn't like that we had to code.

When DS went on the pump, we just switched right into using the Bayer Contour Link.. as it sends all the info to his pump wirelessly! Pheew!

About 2 weeks after dx, we switched to the MultiClix.. and I have to say that it IS the best thing since 'sliced bread'.. lol. We all love it! :)

13. ScottB

ScottB Approved members

We have a collection One Touch Ultra's, an Ultralink and mini. Nothing special about the One Touch but it's what we were first given after dx, Justin hasn't had any problems with it so we've stayed with it.

14. Heather(CA)

Heather(CA) Approved members

Another thing I love about the Lite, is that when the battery is getting low...The first thing that goes it the light. I LOVE the light so it makes for a quick battery change:D

15. clb1968

clb1968 Approved members

I have been thru all the meters I think,LOL
    Here is a pic of my current supply of meters, plus or minus a few

http://forums.childrenwithdiabetes.com/showpost.php?p=494969&postcount=6

We need to get together, I still have your book , I have 200 strips for the Freestyle lite meter that you can have too.

Oh and back to topic, I use the Contour Link (I got one from Canada that works with my Pump) or the OneTouch Ultralink, both talk with my pump.
    Multiclix all the way.

Last edited: Aug 30, 2009
  16. Kalebsmom

Kalebsmom Approved members

Kaleb has always used the Onetouch products. Since he is on the ping it uses the Onetouch. However, he does use the multiclix thumper.

17. TheFormerLantusFiend

TheFormerLantusFiend Approved members

I've gotten samples of a half dozen other meters (accu chek compact, bayer contour, ultra mini, ultra 2, some other ultra...) but the one I got at dx is the one I keep going back to: the accu chek aviva.

18. Jacob'sDad

Jacob'sDad Approved members

We went through all of the One Touch meters. A member here suggested I try the Accuchek Aviva. I find it to be very accurate and that is all we use now.

19. gboysmom

Thank you sooo much for all the replies. I'm sitting here looking over the Freestyle Lite. Andy, nurse at school, just told me he could get another one of these if I like it. I LOVE the light on it as some of you have said.

What to do...what to do... :cwds:

20. gboysmom

Yes, we do need to get together! I'd like Brynn to join us too! I guess let's get thru Labor Day weekend and we can set a date and time. I had totally forgotten about the book! Whew!:rolleyes: