- advertisement -

How many kids have low vitamin D levels?

Discussion in 'Parents of Children with Type 1' started by Flutterby, Feb 4, 2010.

1. Flutterby

Flutterby Approved members

Got a call from the dr's office today. Kaylee's vitamin level is at 19, the low end of the 'normal' range is 40.. so she's quite low.. She needs to take 2000u of Vitamin B3 per day and because her B level is so low they are worried about her calcium level so they want her on 1000g of calcium a day. They will recheck her in 3months.

I'm pretty sure I heard somewhere that low vit. D levels in kids with diabetes was common.. does anyone have any good links?

I know this isn't a huge deal.. but she already deals with so much already.. its just one more thing on her already overflowing plate.. Good news is that her TTG was under 3, so its negative.. Guess we're doing good on the gluten free front.

Kim

2. buggle

buggle Approved members

We give Brendan 1000IU a day (plus 400IU more in his multi-vitamin), but I'm still having him tested for Vit D when we do his annual bloodwork in a few months. I think that ALL kids should be supplemented with Vit D, but T1 kids really do seem to have pretty widespread deficiencies. Our endo told us to give Brendan at least 400-600 IU of Vit D (another endo said 1000IU) and 800 mg of DHA (omega 3 in fish oil). Those are the two supplements that our center is most concerned about getting into D children.

3. cmsullivan

cmsullivan Approved members

Its not only kids with type 1 that are low in Vit D . Vit D is mostly absorbed through sunlight and American kids AND adults are just not getting enough. Milk will say it had vit D in it but not nearly enough to bring our bodies into the normal level. I'll have to find the links for you later, for now I need to go check my little guys sugar and go to bed

4. Flutterby

Flutterby Approved members

Hmm, I was just looking up information (google can be so evil) and it says a symptom of low vitamin D is muscle weakness and bone pain..

Kaylee's been complaining of legs hurting and just recently her wrists hurting.

5. Seans Mom

Seans Mom Approved members

Sean was on an 8 wk. course of Vitamin D after his last endo appt. Took 50,000 IU once a week. They are going to recheck his level at his next appt. at the end of this month.

6. SarahKelly

SarahKelly Approved members

I recently read, sorry can't remember where, that they believe there may be a correlation to VitD deficiency and diabetes. So, the article was suggesting that if your child tested positive to the genetic markers for diabetes it might benefit them to make sure they're not Vit D deficient.
    We've started taking the liquid Vit D supplement in our house and it's fabulous. I can't stomache vitamins and it's had no ill effects. It's actually quite tasty in water as it gives a berry flavor to it.

7. bbirdnuts@aol.com

bbirdnuts@aol.com Approved members

Right or wrong not sure. If I remember correctly these are some things I remember learning about type 1 bodies. It seems as though there is a lack of calcium because our body cannot utilize efficiently the calcium that comes from cows milk. Maybe something to do with the absorbtion or lack thereof. I have also read, type 1's are deficient in magnesium and Vitamin D. There may be people out west that do not have a Vitamin D deficiency if they spend enough time in the sun. Using suncreen also keeps the body from getting an adaquate amount of Vitamin D, but helps protect the skin from damage. I choose sunscreen and to give Vitamin D.

8. MOM to KELLSE

MOM to KELLSE Approved members

We are also low in vitamin D and take 1000iu a day. Google Dr Ponder see what you come up with he was doing a study at his practice and I forget how many of his t1's where low but it was enough that he encourages all T1's to get tested.

9. Gracie'sMom

Gracie'sMom Approved members

My non-D child was just tested for this and he said that a good percentage of the general population is low, because our society spends more time indoors, especially in the colder climates in the winter.

10. ecs1516

ecs1516 Approved members

There was an excellent link on this forum to a youtube presentation of Vit. D and diabetes

11. Toni

Toni Banned

So far, Vita D deficiency has not been mentioned. I am concerned about excretion of thiamine (Type 1s excrete more thiamine than average population) and what other supplements, aside from Vita D and Cod Liver oil that may help them. I am afraid her endo is not a help in this regard.

12. shekov

shekov Approved members

We are all taking vit d since dd was dx low last year.

Endo said if she's low, the other kids likely are too so we all started taking vit d. Yummy gummi chewables from wal mart :D

I think I noticed an improvement in my energy level but that might have been a placebo effect. ;)