- advertisement -

How many days does your sensor work?

Discussion in 'Continuous Glucose Sensing' started by Mary Lou, Jul 3, 2007.

1. Mary Lou

Mary Lou Approved members

We've been using the minimed system for about 2 weeks and haven't gotten a sensor to last beyond 3 days.

Is there anything you guys are doing to get it to last for 6?

My son wears his on his upper butt.

We've been getting great readings and are having a good experience overall, but I had hoped he could wear it longer.

We haven't had one fall out, even with long beach days and swimming. We cover it with a "knuckle" band-aid, as most other covering irritated his skin. and this holds well with minimum impact on skin and doesn't stick to the transmittor. We cover that with Tagaderm for swimming. He's very athetic and is constantly on the move.

I'd greatly appreciate any pointers.

2. EmmasMom

EmmasMom Approved members

This may be a stupid question, but are you re-starting it at the end of day 3 when you get the "Sensor End" message? Your post wasn't clear about why they're not lasting beyond day 3, so just in case that's the problem here's what to do:

Each sensor will automatically end in 72 hours, (day 3), then you have to go to the sensor menu and select "start new sensor" to get it going again. In a few minutes it will ask for a calibration, "Meter BG Now", and you will have readings for another 72 hours.

At the end of day 6 you have to carefully d/c the transmitter from the sensor, and then reconnect. If you don't d/c you will start having problems with weak signal alarms, and it will result in a "bad sensor" which will turn it off."Start new sensor" again, after you re-connect and this time you will have a 2 hour warm-up period before you get readings. (I use this d/c to charge the transmitter)

Some sensors last longer than others, but we almost always get at least 7 days, and have had a few last as long as 12. When the readings start to get off track and I can't fix it with carefully timed calibrations I pull it.

Best of Luck!:)

3. WestinsMom

WestinsMom Approved members

We consistantly get 6 days. I try for longer but so far we haven't had great results. I have gotten to about 8 days but the numbers seem inconsistant. If I get to the point that I can't trust it then I pull it.

4. Andrews mom

Andrews mom Approved members

Our sites only last about 3 - 4 days as well. There has been a few times it went until the full 6 days but I think that only happened 3 times and we've been using it since April.
    We did our training right at Medtronic headquarters here in MN and they said some peoples body just doesnt want that in it and will naturally start to reject it.

5. Mama2H

Mama2H Approved members

We usually get 7 days now that we are using the arm for Hailey's sensors. When we used her rear we never got more than 4. The current sensor is a record, we are on day 17 and still going very strong. I had surgery on the 21st and have been laid up since then so I was pleasantly surprised when I realized yesterday it had been so many days. We replaced tape yesterday and her skin still looks really good. We cover with opsite flexifix and usually need to change it every 2 or 3 days depending on how much time she spent in the pool.

6. rickst29

rickst29 Approved members

According to my favorite MM "expert",

Nikos from Greece, your problem is most likely Sensor movement: ANY motion of the Sensor wire within the SC tissue where it's inserted will cut the life dramatically.

I don't know if your child has any other possible sites, but I'll guess that tour son is bashing it and flexing it (from his normal activities) in the current location. A big patch of Opsite Flexifix might make it a bit more stable than your current attachment scheme, but I'll guess that a different location will provide a better improvement.

7. marin

marin Approved members

max 6 days so far but still hoping for 17!

We have been using since April & I still feel like we are working out the bugs. We have not got passed 6 days yet, usu. ~5 before it flatlines or pulls out or ISIG drops too low or "Weak Signal"s. Since each time its something different, I keep feeling like if we get a proper insertion, and the right tape, and the right care, etc, I could get it to go longer. Or not.

8. Mary Lou

Doh!

Okay, I didn't know you could "Start new sensor" with the same sensor. We've been disconnecting, removing, discarding as soon as we get the "sensor end" message. Ug!

We have had a couple quit early and they came out all bent up and I'm pretty sure it was from banging it around (my son is a gymnastic and is constantly rolling on it).

The only one that fell off was during an afternoon at the lake and we quickly realized that IV3000 isn't all it's cracked up to be in the water (at least over the course of an entire day with a boy who doesn't keep his shorts up high enough to keep the waist band from rubbing the sensor site..)

I showed him the picture of the girl who wears hers on her arm, but he's not very interested, and honestly has not a pinch of fat anywhere on him except for his butt.

Thank you so much for your suggestions. I will try to restart the next one!!

9. KarenRI

KarenRI Approved members

Hi,

New to the Forum, but just returned from FFL 2007 and had a great time!

Just want to clarify...

The actual sensor site inserted under the skin can be left in for 6+ days before changing to a new site?

My son starts on the RealTime CGM in Oct. and I'm gathering all the info I can.

Thanks,

Karen

10. rickst29

rickst29 Approved members

Karen, a few people get ALMOST A MONTH

from every single one.

But not here on CWD-- life as a kid bashes 'em up, and they don't last so long. If you can get more than a week of good numbers with a child, you're probably doing everything right.

11. Mary Lou

a quick update...

Well, after a little trial and error here's what we found:

1. You can restart an old sensor for a long time. We had one go for 12 days, but took it out because the skin around the dressing was looking red.

2. We get 6 days out of each sensor and change it, even if it will restart to reduce the wear and tear on the boy's bum.

3. He will only wear it on his bum.

4. Ice reduces the bleeding.

5. Opsite Flexifix is the way to go for us. Keeps it stable with minimal skin irriatation.

6. Tea Tree Oil is fabulous for removing the dressing and residue.

7. The payoff is worth the effort. We are poking him less, especially at night, and his most recent A1C dropped from 8.4 to 7.6 :)