- advertisement -

How Many Days Are Y'all Getting with Dex G4 Sensors?

Discussion in 'Parents of Children with Type 1' started by Lizzie's Mom, Aug 17, 2013.

1. Lizzie's Mom

Lizzie's Mom Approved members

How Many Days Are Y'all Getting with Dex G4 Sensors?

We're two sensors in; 9 days on the first one, tried restarting this one tonight and got ???; restarted again and just a bit ago saw ??? again.

I debated whether or not to get dd up for a sensor change when I looked at Dex and saw the happy little blood drops request looking at me :), so I guess we'll get another day or two out of this one, as well.

We routinely got 10+ days with the Seven Plus sensors.

I was just curious what you all are seeing in real life with the new G4 sensors.

Thanks!

2. Sarah Maddie's Mom

Sarah Maddie's Mom Approved members

At least 14 - usually 16 and then it's still working but I worry about scar tissue and irritation. Not all last that long, but if we stick to her stomach they tend to - those an the back of the arm have shorter lives.

ps we only overtape after the first week.

3. Lizzie's Mom

Lizzie's Mom Approved members

Wow! I'll try to talk her into a tummy site next time. She likes arms, but they do need a rest from time to time.

And we have plenty of hypafix in the house for over-taping. LUV that stuff!

Thanks!

4. Sarah Maddie's Mom

Arms were a problem because she plays a lot of sports and sports bras tend to snag the transmitter. She was not a fan of stomach placement - won't do an infusion set there - but it has turned out to be the least bothersome spot for the G4. Luckily, the length of time that the sensors seem to work there makes the otherside recovery a non issue, at least for now.;)

ETA and when there is time, and there usually is, she likes to use emla - she doesn't need it, but she's just more cautious about her stomach so we do. It seems to have no impact on the readings, though we often let it go for more than an hour prior to insertion so by the end of the 2 hr warm up it's most likely largely dissipated.

5. cm4kelly

cm4kelly Approved members

10-12 days here

My six year old son is pretty active. We typically get 10-12 days out of our sensor before it starts acting up or actually comes off. I usually do put liquid adhesive on the tape before insertion to help keep it on.

My type 1 husband (43 years old) actually can wear one for 3 weeks.
    I just can't get that type of use out of my 6 year olds dexcom.

I figure 10-12 days is better than 7 :)

As a matter of fact, I will be pulling his sensor some time today - after restarting this past Monday. It is acting a litle wierd.

6. LoveMyHounds

LoveMyHounds Approved members

Fourteen days.

7. StacyMM

StacyMM Approved members

DD gets 2-3 weeks. When she hits 3 weeks, we pull it even if it's working.

DS usually gets 1-2 weeks, but it takes a few extra restarts to get there. He's had a few that need pulled after 4-5 days, though.

8. 3kidlets

3kidlets Approved members

I was hoping we would get 10 days out of ours. But whenever we go past the 7 days, almost immediately, it becomes unreliable. The numbers are way off and get a lot of ????

9. MomofSweetOne

MomofSweetOne Approved members

We usually get about 10 days. I tend to pull them when we see ?? the first time or there are hours of ??? the next night.

10. hawkeyegirl

hawkeyegirl Approved members

Fourteen days, and then we pull them.

11. swellman

swellman Approved members

10 as of late and they're usually spot on but just falls off.

EDIT: No tape or additional adhesives.

Last edited: Aug 17, 2013
  12. KatieSue

KatieSue Approved members

We're usually around 10 or so. A few make it to 14. They usually just end up coming loose or falling off. Which is fine I figure anything over 7 is gravy.

13. mocha

mocha Approved members

I normally get 9 or 10 days, but I've had a few recently that have gone over 14 days.

14. Mom211

Mom211 Approved members

We usually get around 12 days with ours. I'm pretty happy about it because with the Dex7 it was about 9 or 10.

15. hawkeyegirl

hawkeyegirl Approved members

I should add that we use extra tape from the beginning. It would fall off in 3 days otherwise.

16. Nancy in VA

Nancy in VA Approved members

We get 14 days routinely. I have to put overtape on at the very beginning or it would fall off almost immediately. I sometimes have to touch up the tape part-way through, if she's been in the water a lot, etc.

17. Sarah Maddie's Mom

We tape it up when we restart on day 7. Generally holds for the next week. We use Opsite at Hawkeyegirl's suggestion.

18. DavidN

DavidN Approved members

10 days. After that we start getting frequent ????

19. Mish

Mish Approved members

We get about 10 consistent days. Last week we only got 8, it just kept giving us ??? after day 7 and that was beyond annoying. We've gone as long as 16 though. But 10 is ok with me. :)

20. liasmommy2000

liasmommy2000 Approved members

We get 10-14 days. But for us they fall off before they go bad the majority of the time. Even with skin tac and the Opsite Flex tape.