- advertisement -

How many children with diabetes in your child's school?

Discussion in 'Parents of Children with Type 1' started by rutgers1, Apr 2, 2011.

1. irishmom

irishmom Approved members

We have about 400 -500 kids in our middle school I think and we have 4 boys all in 8th grade that are type 1....my son will be the first athlete to go through the high school and play sports with type 1
    Marcia

2. sbsmith1804

sbsmith1804 Approved members

K-12 with approx. 80-100 students per grade and there 2 students... one is mine in 5th grade and the other is in highschool. I know of one other student that went through the school system (now attends a local college) a few years ago. All three are boys and were dxd. approx. at the same age (8). My ds is the first one on the pump while attending school there. Our school nurse and elementary staff have been superpurb! Praying hard that no one else there will go through this and prouding teaching awareness and that no child should be embarrassed because they are different whether it is because they have a disease or for another reason!!!

3. emm142

emm142 Approved members

There's 4 who are open about having D in my school of 600. Two of us are in the same year.

In my first school, three of us from a class of 30 went on to develop D...

4. GaPeach

GaPeach Approved members

Middle School 6-8th has about 750 students and 4 CWD. One is newly dx.

5. luvmyboyz

luvmyboyz Approved members

Aaron is the only CWD at his school out of over 1200 students.

6. dqmomof3

dqmomof3 Approved members

DD's middle school has 600 students, and there are six students with type 1.

I teach in a high school with approximately 1000 students, and I think there are 8 with type 1. We also have several students with type 2.

7. danalynn

danalynn Approved members

k-8, 300ish students, my son is the only one.

8. zapsmom

zapsmom Approved members

Out of a 160 students, Zoee and one other little girl who is also in her class are the only ones the school has ever had with D.

9. roo'smom

roo'smom Approved members

When dd was in K, there were 8 type 1s - school is K-5, about 600 kids. Every year since there has been 5, including her. Three are in 5th though, so we should be down to 2 next year - dd, and another girl in her grade. I never realized how "lucky" we/she is until she went to camp this past summer. In talking to some of the parents there, their kids are the only t1s, and they can feel so isolated (both the kids and the parents). One of the kids w/ type 1 who was in 5th grade when dd was in K now babysits for my kids. Plus, us moms try to get together every other month or so and go out to dinner. DD and the other girl in her grade are good friends, so sleepovers at each others' houses aren't a problem (and a welcome break for the parent not hosting!!). It also works out well for field trips - the mom and I alternate who goes to watch the girls. We count our blessings in that regard every day.

10. lil'Man'sMom

lil'Man'sMom Approved members

Mann's school is K-8, 350 kids. He is the only one Type 1, no others in our history at the school.

11. swimmom

swimmom Approved members

Our middle school has over 1200 kids and 4 T1s. The high school has 2250 kids and 3 T1s (all varsity athletes).

12. txmom

txmom Approved members

My son is in 10th grade at a high school with a total of 1000 students - he is one of 3 T1's (two older girls that will both graduate this year) - he may be the only one next year.

Irishmom - my son plays both varsity golf and ice hockey. Coaches have been great. I met with both teams the first day of class to review what T1D is, signs to look for etc. My son takes "fruit snacks" on the bench with him when he plays hockey, now all the other moms want to know where to buy them because the whole team loves them. Both teams have gatorade at every game/practice because of Grant. The golf coach is really sweet to make sure Grant always has the flavor or his choice - reminding the other players they only have gatorade because of Grant.

When the teams travel overnight Grant always has the same roommates - both are at our house often and are fairly comfortable with D.

13. StillMamamia

StillMamamia Approved members

I have no idea how many kids are in my son with D's school. DH estimates around 200-250 (I think maybe 300). In any case, my son is the only one with D. It's been a learning experience for the school personnel, to say the least, but they've been very cooperative so far, despite not being required to do anything.

14. kavon

kavon Approved members

kids in school

My son is one of 3 in the grammer school. There are over 300 kids in the school

15. slpmom2

slpmom2 Approved members

When dd was diagnosed, she was in an elementary school of almost 600 kids. There were two other T1's at the time - including one in her class! That made the transition back to school so much easier. They were in class together the following year, too, which I think was an intentional decision by the school to concentrate D care, and to let them have each other for support. A girl who was in her grade at that school, and in her girl scout troop, was diagnosed just last year, so the three of them will be in junior high together in a few years. In her current elementary school, which I believe has just under 400 kids, there are two T1's - the other one is 2 grades ahead of her, I think.

Of course, I'm sure our experience isn't typical - the part of the country where we live is a hot spot for T1.

16. rdhead

rdhead Approved members

Connor attends a k-8 school and there are between 800-900 students. There is only 1 other t1 at his school and she is in the grade above him.

17. Dmama24/7/365

Dmama24/7/365 Approved members

This is my son's first year in this school and he is the only one with D. They had another child last year who since graduated. It was a big learniing curve for them as the parent of the D kid last year had their son eat lunch and bolused AFTER school.

I had to reteach everything they thought they knew.

18. mocha

mocha Approved members

When I was first dx'd in middle school, I was the only one. There were about 30 kids per grade, and it was a k-8 school, so...about 270 students. My teacher was awesome when I was dx'd.

When I went to high school, there were about 10 students that I knew of that had diabetes, out of a high school with about 2400 students.

My sophomore year, I changed high schools, and there was one other diabetic that I knew of. He was in my grade as well, and we had a lot of the same classes. There were about 1000 students at that school. Most of the teachers still tried to chase me down the hall to confiscate my "cell phone" :rolleyes:. I always ran to a teacher's room that knew, so the argument could happen there, and then a teacher who knew what was going on could back me up. :rolleyes:

At college? I have no idea how many PWD are on campus. I know there are enough to have a club and for most professors to comprehend.

19. 5kids4me

5kids4me Approved members

Josh is the only one in his school. K through 4th grade. 400 students.

20. Beach bum

Beach bum Approved members

The current building they are in has about 400, there are 2 kids with D. Last year, there were 4.

I agree with Becky on two things, I hope once Abby and the other girl cycle out (this year for us, next year for other CWD), they won't see any more for a long time.

GO HUSKIES!