- advertisement -

How many carbs?

Discussion in 'Parents of Children with Type 2' started by MomtoPatience, Oct 6, 2010.

1. MomtoPatience

MomtoPatience Approved members

For our family we go by a plan prescribed by the nutrionist. I have never bothered asking him what should be the carb intake. Just curious how many carbs do you allow your child to have in a day?

We only use Whole wheat products for bread. I am type 2 and really trying to prevent Patience from having it.

2. kiwiliz

kiwiliz Approved members

One "old style" dietician told me that a healthy baseline for children is 100grams of carb per day plus ten extra for each year. If your daughter is around 10 that would equal 200 grams per day. Our usual day, 13yo girl who is quite tall, is 30 - 40 grams for breakfast, 10 - 30 grams morning tea, 45 ish for lunch 10 - 30 for afternoon tea and 70 - 110 for dinner (including supper). Every one is different and I think it is more what you eat than how much. When we are trying to lower carb because she is high, I sometimes replace half the pasta with brocolli...etc.
    Please take this with a grain of salt. It would be a good idea to talk to your doctor about what is best for your daughter. Hope this helps. Liz

3. LenasDad

LenasDad Approved members

The USDA has an interactive website where you can plug in values for your child (age/height/weight/etc.) and it will give you their recommended daily nutrient intake, including carbs.

http://fnic.nal.usda.gov/interactiveDRI/

It will give you a range for the carb intake. Just something to use as a starting point.

4. Flutterby

Flutterby Approved members

It would probably be best to call and ask the nutrionist.. She's still a growing girl, she needs carbs to grow and be healthy, but because you are worried about weight, they may recommend something different that what we would all suggest here..
    :)

5. StillMamamia

StillMamamia Approved members

May I ask if exercise is also beign used to help your family along this journey?

6. MomtoPatience

MomtoPatience Approved members

Thank you everyone :)

The excerise is she is a cheering class and also meets with a trainer. Her trainer speicalizes in children. (making excerise fun)
    (along with my husband and I)
    We walk as a family nightly and for my husband and I we walk 3 -4 miles daily along with the training excerises. They have been wonderful :)

Last edited: Oct 6, 2010
  7. deafmack

deafmack Approved members

I think the best thing is to meet with a children's nutritionist that specializes also in insulin resistance in children. I note that your daughter is fairly active and that will help considerably. The thing is to allow her what she wants to eat in moderation as long as she is eating a healthy balanced diet and is physically active everyday, that is what you want to look for.