- advertisement -

how many carbs per day?

Discussion in 'Parents of Children with Type 1' started by jlh0920, Aug 4, 2011.

1. jlh0920

jlh0920 Approved members

How many carbs do you give your CWD each day? We have met with a couple different dieticians, and they have both refused to tell us a specific amount, saying that targeting a specified number of carbs can cause weight problems. However, my daughter, who is 22 months, will eat whatever you put in front of her; she isn't picky :). She seems relatively satisfied with what we give her, but I never know if I'm fixing too much or not enough. I would love to hear what others are doing?

2. tuckerce

tuckerce Approved members

Caitlin was diagnosed at 17 months and we never had a carb "restriction" as such,but the dietician did recommend more complex carbs and those with low gylcemic index. She averages about 30-45 grams of carbs per meal, with the lesser amount being for breakfast.

Personally, I think having the I:C ratio vs. carb restriction works best for growing children.

3. Christopher

Christopher Approved members

Never had to deal with an infant/toddler with diabetes, but if I did I would just feed them the same thing I would if they didn't have diabetes and just make sure that I had a good I:C ratio. Restricting carbs in a growing body is not something I would choose to do.

To answer your question I think Danielle eats, on average, about 150 carbs a day.

4. obtainedmist

obtainedmist Approved members

I would say that if she is growing and thriving she's doing well! A good mixture of fruits, veggies, protein and carbs keeps us all healthy! :)

5. Amy C.

Amy C. Approved members

The dietitians are right. If your daughter is satisfied, is gaining the appropriate amount of weight, and she is eating veggies and protein with the carbohydrate, then I wouldn't be concerned. My son eats what he wants, plus lots of snacks. He appears thin, but only because many of his peers are not.

Just mark that off your list of things to worry about!

6. emm142

emm142 Approved members

I'd go by weight and general health more than a fixed number. Feed what you would without D (unless you wish to exclude particular problem foods) and bolus accordingly, and adjust as necessarily based on her hunger and health.

I'm 18 and average 150g per day, but can be wide outside that (lower and higher).

7. danielsmom

danielsmom Approved members

Daniel 10 should be around 60-70....but endo says he can eat what he wants.. sometimes its more, sometimes its less...

8. cdninct

cdninct Approved members

When we first started out, it was suggested as a basic guideline that we do:

30-45g breakfast
    10-20g morning snack
    30-45g lunch
    10-20g afternoon snack
    30-45g dinner
    10g bedtime

My son was 2.5 at the time, and these were their guidelines for 3-4 year olds. We almost never hit the 30g at meals, but he could have gone over 20g at just about every snack if we had let him. They made it very clear that we were not to force or limit food, though.

9. NatBMomto4

NatBMomto4 Approved members

One of the first things our endo said to Andrew the day he was dx'd was that he would still be able to eat whatever he wanted - there were no dietary restrictions at all. In fact, during those first weeks, I was shocked at how much he ate (putting all that lost weight back on!), and our endo just told me that he should eat whenever he is hungry, and as much as he wants. Andrew is 13 and growing like crazy. He eats often and a lot! One day this week he had 385 carbs! Yesterday he had 300. When he went for his physical recently, the Dr told us he is off the charts height-wise, and in the 75 percentile for his weight, with a BMI of 20 (he is 5'6" and weighs 130). So, obviously, no weight issues! I let him eat whatever he wants. I encourage healthy options, and fortunately, he loves fruit and vegetables, so as long as he gets them in - I say let him eat!

10. kgerrick

kgerrick Approved members

Totally agree with you Chris. I would not make a fuss over it. My oldest (23) non-diabetic though, was a great eater. Never picky and she has had no problems with weight. I never made a fuss over how well she ate. Other people did but not me. My dd (who is 13) is a very picky eater and it is a bit of a pain when she doesn't like what was made for dinner. She eats about 125-150 carbs a day.

11. tbcarrick

tbcarrick Approved members

My son is 15 and he gets at least 380 per day..but he is 6'2" and 150 lbs,
    extremely active.I think in my mind your wondering if your child is getting enough for her age and condition...Believe me when I tell you..The dietitian would immediately let you know if something needs to change..At their age I found that both my kids were grazers,so I wouldn't worry about it...Just wait till they get older,then you'll be worrying how to keep the fridge stocked..LOL