- advertisement -

How many carbs per day?

Discussion in 'Parents of Children with Type 1' started by Lize, May 20, 2011.

1. Lize

Lize Approved members

Some days I feel that my DD is not getting enough carbs. She average on 135g of carbs per day. What is the amount of carbs other 12 year old DD's here consume per day (average)? I would really appreciate some answers on this.

2. Becky Stevens mom

Becky Stevens mom Approved members

I think if she isnt hungry and her weight is where it should be then its probably enough for her. I know Steven on an average day eats between 180-200+ carbs between meals and snacks. Of course he loooooves carbs!:) Im trying to get him to eat more vegetables and fruits but he goes for the sweet stuff or the salty stuff every time:rolleyes:

3. Nancy in VA

Nancy in VA Approved members

I'm pretty certain my 14 year old non-diabetic daughter only eats about that much (I have no idea how much she eats for the food she sneaks, but for the food I serve her, that's about right)

4. KatieSue

KatieSue Approved members

My Daughter is 15. I just looked back and she seems to average around 150/day. Some days it's around 100 and some over 200 but most are in the 150 range. She's not a huge carb eater anyway. She doesn't like breads, sodas, pastas and other carb heavy foods.

5. vettechmomof2

vettechmomof2 Approved members

Really cannot answer that easily. My daughter eats a well balanced meal and some days averages up to 300 grams and other days as little as 100 grams.
    Is there a reason that you are concerned about her possible lack of carb consumption?

6. emm142

emm142 Approved members

At 18, my average is 177g carbs per day. My diet would be a little less carb heavy if I ate meat.

If she's a healthy weight and growing normally, I'd be inclined to let her eat what she feels she needs (obviously in moderation).

7. dejahthoris

dejahthoris Approved members

Not sure if this helps, but glancing quickly at his charts, it looks to be around 200 to 250 carbs per day. He is 13 and according to the doc perfect weight, and a little above average height. A good part of his grains are whole grains but I do not restrict him dietarily - (obviously he wouldn't drink sugar soda unless he was low and it was the nearest thing, and we do keep ginger ale for a tummy ache/low/vomit situation- that pretty much goes without saying:))

8. Tracy1918

Tracy1918 Approved members

My 10-year-old son (11 in October) averages 200-250 each day.

His weight is right on target, if anything, he could add a couple pounds.

Wish I could say the same about myself.....:eek:

9. momof2greatkids

momof2greatkids Approved members

My daughter is 11, but tall for her age (5'4"), so she may be close. On an average day, she probably eats around 100 carbs. On days that she has swim practice, she has an extra 60 carbs in Gatorade. And sometimes when we eat out, she will eat more. Last night, a couple hours after dinner, she had an extra 119 carbs in ice cream from Cold Stone! :eek:

She has actually lost a couple more pounds since diagnosis, and we're really trying to get her to eat more without making an issue of it.

10. wilf

wilf Approved members

That's around how much DD eats.. :cwds:

11. Midwestmomma

Midwestmomma Approved members

Im jealous:eek: My 12 yr old son...eats about 250-380 carbs a day.:eek: He eats all day long it seems like. I have no idea what I am gonna do this summer...when he seems to eat more.

** He is 12, will be 13 in 6 days:D, is 5'6 1/2" and weighs 125...

12. Charmed7

Charmed7 Approved members

My son eats over 200 carbs a day; breakfast alone is almost 100. He's 12 and weighs about 100 lbs. If I let him though, he'd strap a feed bag to his head. :D

13. Catiesmom

Catiesmom Approved members

Good idea to see what everyone is eating. Catie is almost 11, growing alot, and eats 250 to 300 carbs a day and says she's still hungry. She's at 5'0" and 85 pounds and could gain some more weight.

She says carbs are the best food anyway :)

14. NatBMomto4

NatBMomto4 Approved members

This is Andrew, too - he eats 140 carbs just for lunch! Breakfast is usually about 50 carbs, dinner varies depending on what I cook...He eats a minimum of 250 carbs per day. He turned 13 in April, is 5'5" and weighs 118 - not an ounce of fat on his body, and he is extremely active with baseball and soccer. He is growing like crazy, so I let him eat!!

15. Midwestmomma

Midwestmomma Approved members

I think teen/preteen boys should have a feed bag...cause all they seem to do is EAT !!! :eek: But this made me LOL...I can picture it now...