- advertisement -

How many carbs do you provide for swimming?

Discussion in 'Parents of Children with Type 1' started by DsMom, Jul 5, 2012.

1. DsMom

DsMom Approved members

We've been going to our community pool for several years now, but my son was mostly just paddling around the shallow end or using a kick board to swim. This year, he is actually staying afloat on his own, and passed the deep end test so he can go off the diving board and on the slide...which he will do nonstop and I believe would do nonstop until he sank to the bottom!:eek: I watch him the entire time, and he literally goes until he is so tired it is only his face (staring upward!) that is above water while he swims. He is enthusiastic to say the least!

So, of course, we've been battling lows, and I am trying to find the right number of carbs to give him for this new diving board mania of his!;) Wondering what other people give. He is only around 50 lbs. It used to be that keeping his pump off and maybe a couple of tablets would do the trick. The other day, I gave him 30 carbs worth of juice before we left for the pool, he did not wear his pump, and he still dropped to the 70s. I hate having to pull him out so we can treat him, and then he has to wait. But I don't want to overload him with carbs. Also a couple of days ago, I gave him the 2 juice boxes before we left...but then when he got there he just chose to paddle around and not do the manic diving bit.:rolleyes: So, I'm sitting there wondering whether to pull him out and give him a bolus, or just see if he'd start swimming like crazy again. I kept asking if he was going to dive, but he didn't know. I ended up pulling him out for the bolus...10 minutes later, he was off the diving board every 10 seconds.:rolleyes: So, I had to check him again and treat a little later.

Do you guys load up with carbs up front, or just give as needed? He HATES being interrupted, which I understand, but I can't tell the future as to whether he will be super active or not now. "Swimming" seemed so easy last year when he wasn't actually swimming! He doesn't do any sports, so I'm really not used to managing such a high level of exercise with him.

2. Amy C.

Amy C. Approved members

I would load him up with carbs before swimming and correct if needed after swimming is complete. Maybe a test every hour would suffice, but don't correct for high sugars until swimming is done for the day. There is no reason to constantly interrupt his fun.

3. MomofSweetOne

MomofSweetOne Approved members

We drop basal by 50% for the hour before and the duration of swimming. We give enough carbs to get her to 150 to start and then test every 30 minutes and recarb as needed. She usually needs more carbs every 1/2 hour.

4. caspi

caspi Approved members

We drop basal by 50% as well, he checks every hour when they have adult swim and he has to get out (so grateful for adult swim ;)) and usually eats a small snack at that time as well (crackers, granola bar, etc.) Then again he's 13 so he's eating all the time anyway. :p

5. Tigerlilly's mom

Tigerlilly's mom Approved members

No specific amount of carbs given here due to swimming...test before getting into the pool and if he is going to have lunch or a snack, but otherwise no other testing or treating done UNLESS HE feels like he needs to an extra test or extra carbs.

I used to give extra carbs before he went swimming...but you just never know what level of activity they are going to do...it could be non-stop swimming, or it could be jump in the pool and decide to just lounge on a raft.

We try not to "overthink" because 9 times out of 10 it backfires and bgs are just a mess...after the first 2 years of dealing with diabetes and making a mess out of things..I finally learned (the hard way) to just let Tyler listen to his body and 99% of the time, he knows what he needs and when he needs.

6. MelissaAL

MelissaAL Approved members

Our endo advised us to test and give a 15 g snack prior to swimming if she's under 250. What has been working for us for swimming lessons is to give 15 g if she is under 200 prior to class and only 7 if she's between 200-250. Her class is 45 min and ends right at lunch so we test after class and she eats lunch. i don't correct if she's high (she's often 160-180) and she is usually right in range at dinner time.

If we are at the lake and swimming all afternoon, we check her every hour. Swimming does tend to run her low later in the day, but trips to the lake usually include evening trips for ice cream so that usually works out great for us.

7. DsMom

DsMom Approved members

Thanks everyone. One problem is, I don't really trust him to feel his lows while swimming like this. He also has ADHD, and can be a bit manic at the pool if we go after dinner when his med has worn off. He just swims and swims and doesn't listen to his body as much. I pull him out of the pool when it looks like he's not swimming as well...and he is usually hovering around 70 when I do that. I really have to keep my eye on him constantly when he is in the deep water...I'm serious when I say I think he would swim until he sinks!!

I guess he will just have to put up with periodic testing. I hope the novelty of the diving board will wear off a bit...!

Thanks for the idea of dropping basal before the pool. I will try that!

8. MamaLibby

MamaLibby Approved members

For us, we reduce basal by 40% and test every hour during adult swim/lifeguard break and correct if needed if she's low.

9. Mommy For Life

Mommy For Life Approved members

Less than a year into D life...and this being our first summer....we us this same approach too. DD does sense her lows, so I don't often pull her out of the pool to test UNLESS she acting funny or says she feels low. I drop basals down by 40% (usually an hour or so before she swims)....we tried 50% and it didn't work for us. In an ideal world DD would start swimming when her bg was 150...but sometimes it is and other times it is not...we just go with it. I do have her sip from some gatorade if she is in the low 100s or slightly below. I also give her some cheese to keep bg stable. I have found on days she is a fish in the water...that is a good night to serve pasta...it helps combat any lows that might creep up in the night. Good luck and happy summer time! :cwds:

10. emm142

emm142 Approved members

I basically need carbs before all exercise, unless I'm over 250. Depending on my BG, I'd have anywhere between 5g (200-250) and 20g (<120).

11. danielsmom

danielsmom Approved members

I wouldn't carb up on the juice...give protein carb, sugar will just wear off quickly...Daniel does his 15 before exercise and it works for him..

12. hawkeyegirl

hawkeyegirl Approved members

Sugar doesn't wear off more quickly than any other carb. It is raises BG more quickly, but it "lasts" just as long as other carbs.

(The one caveat is that in honeymooning kids, sometimes the body spits out some insulin to "cover" quick carbs, making them less effective for keeping BG up than slower acting carbs.)

We generally give 15g juice before swimming (unless he's above 200) and then just wing it. So much depends on whether he's running and swimming like a crazy person or just playing catch in the water.

13. roo'smom

roo'smom Approved members

In the summer we do a semi-untethered method - shot of lantus every am to cover about 40% of her basal needs. She's unhooked while she swims, but she still has that lantus going, so she sips on gatorade and grazes like a kid without diabetes (I don't hook her up to bolus for what she eats while swimming). We generally only test if she feels low. During the summer I would say she is unhooked for over half her waking hours and will only need to bolus for carbs if they're over 18 or so while swimming.

14. DsMom

DsMom Approved members

I really wish we had an adult swim at our pool, too! Would save me from being the bad guy sometimes!;)