- advertisement -

How many basal rates

Discussion in 'Parents of Children with Type 1' started by WendyTT, Mar 28, 2011.

1. WendyTT

WendyTT Approved members

How many different basal rates does your child have on their pump? Lindsay had 7 different ones going until I changed them last night--now we just have four. There was only a .5 difference in the daytime ones so I just changed it to where her basal rate starts at 8am and doesn't change until 8pm. She gets a good bit less between 8pm-midnight, then another basal rate at 3am. Does that sound about right? I plan on going over these changes with her endo tomorrow but just wondering how many different ones others have.

2. timnshann

timnshann Approved members

Blake goes between 3 and 4 depending on the changes the endo makes. We know one family with a teenager who goes between 5-7 at any given time during the year. I know our endo likes to keep as few as needed because she says she can see patterns easier that way but I know she would use as many as she had.

3. lisamustac

lisamustac Approved members

If it's working then it sounds good:) we have 3 different ones.
    12-7am .100
    7-9am .450 just a little help with breakfast!
    9-8pm .275

We used to have to start the higher basal at 3am to cut the dawn phenomenon but after a year his body decided it didn't need it anymore....who knows?

Our basal rates are so different but it works for us. We are at a 50/60 basal bolus.

Well thats what works for now...who knows what tomorrow will bring....:)

4. bibrahim

bibrahim Approved members

I think we have four different ones.

5. mom24grlz

mom24grlz Approved members

Ashleigh right now has 3 different basal rates ranging between .55-.65

6. Connie(BC)Type 1

Connie(BC)Type 1 Approved members

I have 10 in 1 profile and 8 in another

7. danalynn

danalynn Approved members

we have 8 in one pattern and 7 in the other, some of those rates are just in there as steps so there's not such a drastic change all of a sudden, as his insulin needs vary so much from day to night

8. GaPeach

GaPeach Approved members

For most of the past year, we had 9 (some were short intervals). Recent puberty issues and insulin resistance caused me to revert back to 4 more basic rates to determine better where we needed the most insulin.

Over a 3 week period, we are now back to 7 rates. The additional rates help us manage bring her from nighttime target back to daytime target just prior to waking up. It also helps us manage BG at saf level for school bus ride in the afternoon, but return to target prior to supper.

9. StacyMM

StacyMM Approved members

We were up to 7, then down to 4 and ended at 5. When she is involved in a regular, scheduled physical activity (like CC practice, gym class, etc), the number goes up. Otherwise we are good at 4 or 5.

10. ShelbysMom

ShelbysMom Approved members

WE have 5-6. There have been times 4 will work and times we've needed 7.

11. DadCares

DadCares Approved members

Weekdays: 9-10
    Weekends: 6-7

We make the nighttime the same for both profiles and try to make the afternoon/evening the same beginning at either 4pm or 7pm. That way if we ever make a mistake and forget to switch her to weekday or weekend profile, at least we have her consistent at night.

12. shekov

shekov Approved members

Had 7 and just added another one.:eek:

I just couldn't get things right without making more changes!

13. manda81

manda81 Approved members

Currently we have 3. We have had up to 7. It varies. :cwds: