- advertisement -

How long to start pumping?

Discussion in 'Parents of Children with Type 1' started by anna-bananna, Jul 5, 2012.

1. anna-bananna

anna-bananna Approved members

Hi,

I was just wondering how long it took most people to start pumping from the time you told your Endo (or D-team, for us) that you wanted to pump, until your pump start?

We have been on MDI for just over 2 years, so we have "done our time" in that respect, and DD has been anti-pumping the whole time. Well, suddenly, she is done with shots and wants to pump. So, I wrote an e-mail to her team to find out what the next step is, and they tell me that their next pump class is in the winter, which is for a Spring Break or Summer pump start. :eek: That means waiting 9 months to 1 year. :confused::(:mad: This seems unreasonable to me, but maybe I just have a wrong expectation?

I am just wondering if others are waiting/have waited so long? Or if others think this is a reasonable time frame?

Thanks. :cwds:

2. acoppus

acoppus Approved members

Tyler was diagnosed August 2, 2011 and 10 weeks later we were pumping. 7 months later we had the CGM

3. Charliesmom

Charliesmom Approved members

I want to say that it was maybe 3 months. Our office has an Intro to Pumping class once a month. Then they were a bit busy so we had to book appointments out a bit. I wouldn't be happy with 9 months to a year.

4. Amy C.

Amy C. Approved members

You can contact the pump company for training, as your endo's schedule seems a little unaccommodating.

5. Sarah Maddie's Mom

Sarah Maddie's Mom Approved members

This^

Are you in the US? I don't think I've ever heard of anyone having to wait so long to get trained. Ridiculous! Pumping is simple and with the virtual tools and home training DVDs it should take all of an hour in official "pump class".

And to the OP, almost 2.5 years. Can't believe we waited that long. Best decision we ever made regarding D, should have done it earlier.

Good luck!

6. mom2Hanna

mom2Hanna Approved members

When my daughters first endo told us we needed to wait and go to pump class, and gee the one person who runs it, does it once a month and oh dear, it's full next month and cancelled for vacation the month after, well it was just one of the factors that led us to our new endo. All our pump training has been done in our home, on our schedule.

7. MomofSweetOne

MomofSweetOne Approved members

At my daughter's July appointment last year, she wasn't interested in pumping. At all. In August, I decided I wanted a CGM. After one meeting with our Medtronic rep, she began to think she wanted a pump. We were both pumping and CGMing 3 weeks before our next endo appointment in October. Our CDE worked to get us into the pump classes asap, so it went quickly.

8. cm4kelly

cm4kelly Approved members

Everyone is different and has different reasons

Everyone is different and has different reasons.

My son was 2 1/2 and diagnosed in November. We did MDI for about 6 months and then went to a pump the following July.

We knew we wanted a pump right away (because my husband was type 1 and had a pump), but a few reasons we waited.

For waiting 6 months - I wanted to understand the MDI process and we were also on small amounts of diluted insulin that couldn't be used in pump. I also teach school, so I wanted to wait until the summer when I could have time off from work to adjust and learn the pump before school started.

Some people start pumping right away. Some insurances used to make you wait 6 months, but I am not sure if that is still true.

We love pumping - this is our 2 year pumping anniversary this month.

9. DsMom

DsMom Approved members

About a year, but I wanted one for him much sooner. Because I have two adult nieces on pumps, I was somewhat familiar with pumps and their benefits. We started asking about the pump from day one, but were put off by his endos at the time. Every appointment we'd ask, every time we were put off with some pretty lame excuses. We finally got fed up and switched endos, and he was put on the pump immediately. His new endo simply called a CDE/pump trainer he works with, and, after the pump arrived, she came to our house and trained us. Very easy.

The wait you describe does sound unreasonable. I would talk to the endo to see if there are any other options to start training. If not, and an earlier pump start is very important to you, maybe you can start endo shopping? Switching was the best thing we did.

Good luck!

10. KylesMom

KylesMom Approved members

My son just became intersted in pumping too after almost 2years in. I called our endo team last week, and we already did the pump orientation class this past Tues. We happen to time it right because they only offer it once a month. We were told it usually takes 2 to 3 months from initiation to pumping. You should not have to wait for all those months. I hope you find a way around it!

11. Debdebdebby13

Debdebdebby13 Approved members

A few weeks. We are in the middle of the process right now.

I first told Molly's endo at her last appointment that we wanted to pump. He told me that he preferred his patients need more insulin than she did before pump start. Okay, his personal preference, I can respect that because I really like him. That was mid April.

School ends and Molly's insulin needs increase dramatically and lo and behold we are at that magic threshold that her endo wants to pump, but our next appointment isn't till July 17th. She went to D day camp June 11-15 and I talked ot the Omnipod rep that was there. He gave me all of the paperwork and said I needed to get the proper forms signed by the endo and faxed to him and they would get the insurance rolling.

I got the forms signed and faxed in 5 days later on Monday. I just went by the office and told them what was going on and what I was doing and he signed off, no questions. By Wednesday we had heard from everyone except Edgepark, who would be our pharmacy for the pump. Friday heard from them and they shipped all of our supplies. Got the pump last Tuesday (the 26th) and our training by Omnipod is going to take place at our home on the 9th of July, so we are almost there.

I guess our endo doesn't require any intense "pump class" outside of the training with your pump brand's person. Most people through our endo go with Medtronic, so maybe that is why we got off without all the formalities?? I don't know. So for us, by the time we are training and Molly starts pumping this coming Monday it will have been a little less than a month, and let me tell you it has been hard to sit there and look at all her pods and use her PDM to check her BG and not be able to pump with it!!

12. mom24grlz

mom24grlz Approved members

From the time we mentioned wanting to pump to the time we actually started was about 2 months. We got into our pump class 3-4 weeks after we signed up. Then we had to order the pump, get it approved by insurance. Finally got our pump then had to wait 2 wks to go to our class to teach us how to use the insulin pump.

13. Jordansmom

Jordansmom Approved members

Our insurance required a waiting period of 6 months after dx. But the sweetest CDE in the world helped us arrange a pump "trial" at 4 months and we used the loaner until we could put it through our insurance.

Having said that, our Endo's office has a wait of 4-5 months to get a spot in their pump classes. And they have a very rigid system in place. We only got moving at 4 months because I made appointments for all of the classes behind my Endo's back at dx. We have family members who pump so I knew at dx she was going to want one. But the assigned Endo (who I no longer see) was a real jerk about it when we asked while still in the hospital about pumping in the future.

Our clinic is attached to the children's hospital and they seem to have a lot of rules and requirements for everything. I know it is a problem for them and that lots of people leave for smaller offices because the other local Endo's will get you pumping right away with a pump company trainer.

I'd NEVER let an Endo's office tell me it was going to be a year's wait if my child child told me they were ready to pump. I'd look into other options. The year is for their convenience and best interests, not your child's.

14. Debdebdebby13

Debdebdebby13 Approved members

I have a question. Why would an endo NOT want a child to pump? I mean aside from possibly wanting them to learn the ropes on MDI or waiting until they are on a moderate amount of insulin (which is why we waited, but I think is a pretty shaky justification, since pumps can give so little insulin at once).

What is in it for the endo?

15. MomofSweetOne

MomofSweetOne Approved members

Change? I personally don't get it and am thankful that our doctor & CDE is supportive of whatever method my daughter prefers. There's a practice near here that doesn't like pumps, though. We met someone at the JDRF walk whose daughter couldn't even watch herself be given the injection after 7 months. Their endo said no pump until she gives herself her shots. In my opinion, he's making the adjustment to diabetes much harder than it needs to be for the poor kid.

16. nanhsot

nanhsot Approved members

We had an enforced 6 month wait by insurance, but started the process exactly at the 6 month post diagnosis date, got the pump about 2 months later I think, had to dig up labwork, get approval from insurance, there were some bumps on the way. When it arrived we were deep in football season and I just could not see starting then, so he put it off a few more months.

Pump training was a private session in the endos office with the CDE, and I called and got an appointment right away, called and said "we're ready" and she basically said "how's next tuesday". I can't imagine being forced to wait for a class months away, that doesn't seem reasonable.

17. manda81

manda81 Approved members

For us it was about 2 months, we missed the first class by like 24 hours, and had to wait a month for the next one to roll around. Then the pump rep/trainer was really busy, and we had to wait about 3 weeks for him to come to our house.

18. jbmom1b2g

jbmom1b2g Approved members

We go to the same place.
    We got our pump ordered in Dec. Due to insurance reasons Did the pump class in Jan. Did pump training in April. Granted we had to work around our schedule since we live forever away.

19. jessicat

jessicat Approved members

We will start pumping at the end of this month. I am waiting till I am off work for the summer and can dedicate 100% of my time to it. We discussed it with the endo at the beginningof May. Took our pump class in June (there is one every month) and it was delivered the other day(beginning of July.

So for us it took 2-3 months.

20. Beach bum

Beach bum Approved members

We spoke to our doc about it on or about Dec. 1, we had a pump in our hand by Dec. 31. Had to go through a series of appointments to satisfy insurance, then to get my husbands/mothers schedules set up, we were scheduled for training on Feb. 12. A got sick, ended up in hospital with stomach bug. Finally went live on Feb. 15.

Animas came directly to our home to train. Our practice preferred you do one on one training, which ended up being perfect for us. We could ask as many questions as we needed, went back over certain things. Now, Animas has an online training class which allows you to familiarize yourself with the pump prior to class. I assume the other pump co's have the same.