advertisement

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

How long of a recess is normal?

Discussion in 'Parents Off Topic' started by Charliesmom, Sep 8, 2010.

1. Charliesmom

Charliesmom Approved members

I have been shocked by how little time the kids get for recess. Since Charlie started K this year I have been looking closely at schedules. Kindergarteners only get 2 ten minute recesses and grades 1-5 only get 1 fifteen minute recess. Is that normal now? It just seems crazy. It this how they are doing it now?

2. lauraqofu

lauraqofu Approved members

Sounds like what Cass has always had. Except the second recess in Kindergarten. She only had one recess in Kinder.

3. mom24grlz

mom24grlz Approved members

kids do get a lot less recess time. I remember when i was in K-2nd i got 3 recesses. 2 15 minute recess and 1 30 minute recess. Grades 3-4 I got 1 30 minute recess and 1 15 minute recess. Grades 5-6 i got 1 30 minute recess. Now my kids have always just gotten 1 30 minute recess for K-4. They don't do recess for 5th or 6th grade at our school any more.

4. Gracie'sMom

Gracie'sMom Approved members

Our elementary kids get 20 minutes per day.

5. Beach bum

Beach bum Approved members

They get 1 20 min recess, and are also allowed to go out after they have finished lunch. That is usually about 10 min max.

If you get to school early in the am, they are allowed up to 15 min prior to school start.

6. miss_behave

miss_behave Approved members

I am always shocked to hear how little break time kids in the US get at school. It is usual for schools here (both primary and secondary) to have about 20 minutes for recess in the morning then 45 minutes for lunch.

7. Flutterby

Flutterby Approved members

K-2nd grade gets two recesses, one is about 15m, the other is after lunch and probably closer to 20m but it really depends on how long it took them to eat. 3rd and 4th grade gets one recess, 20m after lunch.

8. Charliesmom

Well, I guess I'm glad that our school is normal. I just remember how much having a recess in the morning, after lunch, and in the afternoon helped me recharge in elementary. I guess this school moves kids around enough so they stay mentally stimulated. They have different teachers for science, art, pe, etc. so they get a change of scenery.

9. Nancy in VA

Nancy in VA Approved members

Our Ks only go 1/2 day and they get 10 minutes if they're lucky. Sometimes it just a couple of minutes because the teachers have so much they are now required to cover in a day.

Olders get maybe 15-20 minutes once a day.

10. hawkeyegirl

hawkeyegirl Approved members

Our kids get one 20 (25?) minute recess either before or after lunch. In Illinois they do have PE every day, so that's another 25 minutes they get to run around, however.

When I was in the lower grades, I believe we had a 15 minute recess in the morning, one in the afternoon, and 30 minutes at lunch, so it has definitely decreased.

11. Diana

Diana Approved members

Wow. My kids (2nd and 4th) each get two 20 minute recesses. I guess we are lucky.

12. sarahspins

sarahspins Approved members

My kids (K and 4th) get 15 minutes after lunch... they DO get PE for 45 minutes every day and that often involves some free play that is essentially like recess.

13. Becky Stevens mom

Becky Stevens mom Approved members

In our school kids get 2 recesses until 4th grade. Recess after 10:00 snack is approx 10 minutes and the recess after lunch is 20 minutes. There are many schools in the country that are trying to do away with recess completely. this would be a foolish mistake IMO. There have been numerous studies done that show that children do much better on school work and can concentrate better if they have some time to run around. I know its true for Steven and it helps alot with BGs.

14. emm142

emm142 Approved members

I'm in high school, and we get a 15 minute recess in the morning (9.55AM-10.10AM) and 55 minutes for lunch (12.30PM-1.25PM). It was similar in my primary school, except the morning recess was a little later and lunch was an hour (30 minutes for eating, 30 minutes for playing). We only do 2 hours per week PE over here, though.

15. MissEmi

MissEmi Approved members

I think our kiddos get 20-25 minutes. They also have 45 minutes of specials everyday.

16. BrendaK

BrendaK Neonatal Diabetes Registry

I love our school. They have the playground supervised every day 30 minutes before school starts. So my kids generally get there early to play and call that their morning recess. They also get at least 1 20 minute recess during the day and 20 minute lunch recess. So they are outside playing 70 minutes/day at school. (30 minutes of that is before school starts)

17. Heather(CA)

Heather(CA) Approved members

When Seth was in elementary, they got a 15 minute "Break/recess" and some time after eating lunch too. I don't blame you for being upset about one 15 minute recess. Do they get to play after lunch too?:confused:

18. MamaBear

MamaBear Approved members

My son's school does 1, 15 minute recess per grade, all rotated around lunch schedules. Each individual teacher can add another recess to their day if they choose. My son's teacher this year chose to add a morning recess to her class day. I'm glad she did that because he misses his afternoon recess to go test to the health office for testing/insulin before lunch.

19. Charliesmom

Nope, they go straight back to class.

20. Beach bum

Beach bum Approved members

Well, that just stinks. I know many of the schools are on the don't miss instruction time kick, but that's taking it a bit far.