- advertisement -

How long is it safe to be disconnected?

Discussion in 'Parents of Children with Type 1' started by jenm999, Jul 2, 2015.

1. jenm999

jenm999 Approved members

We're at the beach. Regular BG checks plus Dexcom, and his BG is perfect. How long is it safe for him to be disconnected and receiving no basal? We've been bolusing for about every other snack so he is getting a little hit every hour or so, but I'm curious. Is it better to give some basal up front and then prevent that potential low with a snack? I suppose that's the same thing!

2. dpr

dpr Approved members

We bolus for the lost basal about every 45 minutes. Depending on activity we give about 60% of the hourly bolus rate. I found if we wait and bolus every hour her numbers get a harder to control.

3. jenm999

jenm999 Approved members

I think I may have answered my own question. A few hours after swimming he went high (310) from the lack of basal hours earlier. Next time I will give him a bit of insulin throughout the time we are swimming in the form of boluses and more uncovered snacks for any lows that result.

4. Theo's dad Joe

Theo's dad Joe Approved members

May I ask What kind of basal doses are we talking about here? How many units per hour? I have not started pumping but I am trying to get bearings on this. When you say you will give him a bit of insulin, are you talking about half unit injections, or hooking him back up the the pump for very small pump level boluses like tenths or hundredths of units?

5. Joseph

Joseph Approved members

That is what I was wondering... If keeping things under control is hard with swimming things get even harder.

6. StacyMM

StacyMM Approved members

It's going to vary. For us, all basal is given. DS uses OmniPod so his basal just keeps going. DD uses T:Slim and she doesn't want to swim with it on so we bolus the basals. We give first hour up front then she gets out every hour for the next hour's basals.

7. jenm999

jenm999 Approved members

Theo's dad, he gets .6/hr at that time of day so I would give .3 for half an hour's basal up front. The smallest a pump can deliver is .05 (approx; varies by pump).

StacyMM, do you find that you need to give tons of uncovered snacks with the basal going continually with your son on Omnipod, or do you to a temp basal reduction?

8. StacyMM

StacyMM Approved members

Not usually. My kids do fine while swimming. We run a temp basal in the evening for 4-6 hours to offset lows that happen then, but for mine, swimming isn't somthing that drops them.

9. Zivile

Zivile Approved members

Last summer we had similar experience - I disconected pump at the beach, bolused for some little snacks and didn't give his basal, so.... after few ours he was at 20 mmol (that is about 360). I hope to figure out this basal thing, maybe next time I'll try to bolus for 50 percent of basal and for snacks.

10. jenm999

jenm999 Approved members

It's really confusing. To complicate matters, my son's site got infected after going to the pond, after only 48 hours in. Apparently there is an algae bloom, though they have not limited swimming (it is a town pond monitored by the department of health). Could be a coincidence, but it's our first infection in 10 months of pumping.