- advertisement -

How long has your child been in a pump?

Discussion in 'Parents of Children with Type 1' started by ashtensmom, Feb 7, 2012.

1. ashtensmom

ashtensmom Approved members

How many years has your child been on a pump with no break?

I feel for my dd having to have a cannula inserted in her ALL the time and it's only been 3 months since pumping. Does your child ever complain of having something 'in' them, or do they not even notice it after a while? I have worn an infusion set before and at times I can feel it and it hurts slightly at times. It breaks my heart when I think too much about things like this.

2. Amy C.

Amy C. Approved members

My son thinks nothing about having the cannula in him, site on his body or pump in his pocket. The pump is so much more convenient that these things are not even thought of.

Be sure not to project what your daughter might feel about the pump. It is no different than wearing glasses, having braces, or the like.

3. Sarah Maddie's Mom

Sarah Maddie's Mom Approved members

Eight years. The only infusion set she "felt" was the steel canula rapid-D. I think she only really notices the pump when she needs to dress up and has a hard time finding a place for it under a dress.

I agree with Amy. Be careful not to project your anxieties about this on to your daughter. Not always easy, but necessary.

4. manda81

manda81 Approved members

A little over a year for us, and he has never complained. He loves the freedom. :)

5. KatieSue

KatieSue Approved members

Almost 2 years. She still will only wear pods on her arms but so far it's been fine.

6. Colleen

Colleen Approved members

We have had it over 5 years. Went on pump 8 weeks after diagnosis. He never complains about wearing it.

7. JaxDad

JaxDad Approved members

Jack is 7 years old now. He has been on the pump 3 Years. He has almost no complaints but maybe 1x or 2x per year a set will bother him. Other than that he never complains about it and often shows off his pump to new people he meets.

8. Beach bum

Beach bum Approved members

6 years next week. Animas is the only pump brand we've ever used.
    We've always used Insets, but tried Inset 30's. That was a major failure. She had a horrible time with them.

In the summer, we go semi-untethered. We use Levimere in the morning, use the pump (or pen) for corrections and bolus and then hook her up over night to get an extra boost of basal.

9. hawkeyegirl

hawkeyegirl Approved members

Four years. He loves it compared to shots.

10. Jilleighn

Jilleighn Approved members

My daughter will be 5 in July and has been on a pump for 3 years. She has never complained about it and loves it compaired to shots. She calls her pump "pink pretty"

11. pianoplayer4

pianoplayer4 Approved members

1 1/2 years, two breaks, One cause my pump was fried, I couldn't wait for the new pump to arrive. The other was for a day at a theme park because we thought it would be much easier to handle shots at a water park.

Both times I enjoyed not having the pump hanging off me, while at the water park I was very happy not to see an in fusion set bump under my swim suit, but I also remembered why I hate lantus (my first 400+ in months)

I some times 'feel' my sets but I don't know if its feeling the canula or the tape... I've had sets that hurt and their no fun but I had shot sites that hurt and bled through dinner too so its not something that would make me switch back to MDI, if you kid says they want a pump break then I would suggest you let them because its their body, but if the pump id working for you then I wouldn't suggest it to them

12. 3kidlets

3kidlets Approved members

Hana has been on the POD for 16 months now.
    She doesn't really complain about it. Maybe once she asked for a break when we were going to Hawaii and she was worried about the POD and her two piece bathing suit. But she wore the 2 piece with the POD and it wasn't noticeable at all - so she got over it.
    I do look at all the little spots and scars on her lower back/top of her butt and it does make me a bit sad. Her beautiful skin marked up like that. Because she is a competitive swimmer, that is really the only spot she can wear the POD on since she is in a swimsuit every day. Otherwise, we would be doing more rotating to minimize the marks.

13. Amy C.

Amy C. Approved members

My son has used the pump for over 5 years. Prior to that, he was on shots for almost 9 years.

He absolutely loves the pump compared to shots.

Braces were a huge problem, but not the pump.

14. jilmarie

jilmarie Approved members

I've been on the pump for over 5 years. I have taken 2 pump breaks - both about a month long.

I don't get tired of the infusion set, but I do get tired of having to stash it into clothing.

For me the freedom to snack and use temp basals outweighs the feeling of "being attached".

15. StillMamamia

StillMamamia Approved members

For my son, it's been over 5 years. Sometimes he feels the infusion set, but rarely. It's not a big bother for him, except for the site changes, which still make him nervous, but they're WAY better than a couple of years ago.:cwds:

16. mmc51264

mmc51264 Approved members

Almost 5 years. We would never go back. Zach HATES shots (sometimes he needs them if we have site issues) and would much rather have the pump. Right now he still wears his sites solely in his butt so there are not many choices for sites and he still prefers it.

17. cm4kelly

cm4kelly Approved members

A Year and a Half

My 5 year old has been on a pump with no break for a year and a half.

His dad has had his pump for 6 years.

No breaks - pumps are part of life. We disconnect for baths and swimming, or ocassionally for sports - depending. This is his lifeline.

Maybe in certain special circumstances, we might. But no disconnecting here.

18. Michelle'sMom

Michelle'sMom Approved members

2 years tomorrow. No breaks. She hated shots.

19. Jacob'sDad

Jacob'sDad Approved members

Four years, three months.

20. Ellen

Ellen Senior Member

My son started on a pump at age 7. He's now 24. He never wanted to go back to MDI. His choice.