- advertisement -

how long do your infusion sites last??

Discussion in 'Parents of Children with Type 1' started by nicole, Apr 2, 2009.

1. nicole

nicole Approved members

Hi!
    We seem to be changing out infusions sites with Cadence every 3 days. Her body appears to be healing the sites quickly and her numbers rise by 2.5 days. We are rotating sites between buttocks and thighs. Does anyone have any ideas, suggestions or similar experiences they can share?
    Nicole

2. wdhinn89

wdhinn89 Approved members

We were told that a site should be changed every other day. The body will start to reject the canula and try to push it out like it would a splinter causing BG's to rise.

That said, we change lower back/butt sites every other day and belly sites every 3 days :rolleyes:

3. Connie(BC)Type 1

Connie(BC)Type 1 Approved members

I rotate, 8 areas, and still have absorption issues at times. The more you use an area, the absorption gets worse, and sets seem to need more frequent changes. I use arms, legs, belly, and butt

4. sugarmonkey

sugarmonkey Approved members

We were told to change sites every 3 days, so what you're getting would be fine. We have accidentally gone over on occasion, but usually change every 3 days.

5. nicole

nicole Approved members

Wow! We were getting sites to work initially for longer and changing them every 4 days. It just breaks my heart everytime Cadence (2.5 years) says 'mommy no' 'it hurts' and she puts up a good fight. Maybe its just my preggo hormones and having to change it more frequently get to me. :p

6. Abby-Dabby-Doo

Abby-Dabby-Doo Approved members

We go every 4 days with great numbers. Occasionally we'll forget and go 5 days.

7. nicole

nicole Approved members

Does anyone get better results with certain infusion sets. We love the inset 2's (super quick to insert) especially because we have a strong little toddler. But, any better results with others?? Or do we really have to rotate more sites and change them out every other day?
    I think I may already know the answer.

8. wilowndmomof3

wilowndmomof3 Approved members

We change DS every other day or his numbers sky rocket.

9. Abby-Dabby-Doo

Abby-Dabby-Doo Approved members

Rather than discuss sets, I would ask what type of insulin do you use in the pump? I've read that Humalog does not do as well in the pump as Novolog.

10. mmgirls

mmgirls Approved members

Try the Cleo set, the easiest with a toddler that gives a fight. We change every three days sometimes four IF things just don't work out.I agree with using Novolog int he pump.

11. mom2two

mom2two Approved members

We change every 3 days, we don't have an option to go any longer with the PODS.

12. Mom2rh

Mom2rh Approved members

Ryan used to go 3 days or longer but lately it's been failing at 2 days.

He just switched to Apidra so I have no idea if that is part of the reason. Hmmm. Interesting theory.

I think we'll just plan on every two days for awhile.

13. ScottB

ScottB Approved members

3 days is typical with Justin though he does push it to 4 every now and then when he forgets. The places we have the most luck at in regards to sites are his belly, lower back and buttocks. As far as novalog vs. humalog in a pump, I can't really say. Justin has been using humalog in his MM722 for 2 years with no problems but when he first got his pump we forgot to bring any humalog when we went to the endos office so they nabbed of vial of novalog they had at the and Justin used the novalog in his pump till the vial was empty, after that he went straight back to using humalog. During that time we didn't notice any difference between the 2 insulins in fact his basal and bolus rates remained the same when he switched back to humalog.

14. Sarah Maddie's Mom

Sarah Maddie's Mom Approved members

We seem to have fallen into a pattern of changing sites Sunday and Thursday evenings. Knock wood, it's working well;)

15. buffalomom

buffalomom Approved members

We also change sites on Sundays and Thursdays too..... It just seems to be easy to remember and Sarah has dancing on Thursday nights and she removes the pump before the class and we start a new site after class. So far it's worked out great:)

16. miss_behave

miss_behave Approved members

I do exactly the same. I know plenty of young adults who go even longer than that without concern. We're a lazy bunch :eek:

17. sariana

sariana Approved members

We were told to change Caedence's site every 3 days unless she has issues....

18. Kalebsmom

Kalebsmom Approved members

Kaleb used to change his every 2 days, then 3,. then sometimes 4, then 4 and now every 4-5. He has never had bad numbers due to a site. I am sure now that I said that he will. He usually goes until he is almost out of insulin or I grip at him.

He is using Novolog.

19. karpoozi123

karpoozi123 Approved members

I have had sets last longer than I will ever admit so publicly, but I typically change every 4-5 days.

20. rachabetic

rachabetic Approved members

Same thing happened to me when I switched to Apidra. I normally can go weeks(or at least a week) :eek: with a site using novolog (I don't recomend doing this, even though it works for me). When I was using apidra...it would fail at 2 (if I was lucky 3) days. I switched back to novolog, and am having no problems.

ETA: I usually go 4 days with a site.