- advertisement -

How long do you think my son could have been sick?

Discussion in 'Parents of Children with Type 1' started by bandmkolb, Sep 25, 2011.

1. bandmkolb

bandmkolb Approved members

I found out about my son one morning when I found my son laying in the floor after a shower. He told me everything went black and he could not see so he laid in the floor because he was running into the walls. He had no other symptoms. I am considered pre-type 2 diabetic and had a glucometer on hand. I thought his blood sugar might be a little low and just needed to eat breakfast. I decided to check it and it was 163. I knew on an empty stomach it probably should not have been that high. I took him to ped and by that time it was 270. Ped tried to tell me it was due to stress but I insisted on blood work. Blood work came back and we were sent to Childrens Hospital asap where we met with an endo. She told us we caught it extremely early. In your opinion, how long could he have been sick without us knowing? I am just curious.

2. Gsmama

Gsmama Approved members

How scary. I don't know about your son, but I think my son had D for at least a year (maybe more) before he was officially dx'd. When our dx finally came he had no honeymoon whatsoever, so I often wonder if he was honeymooning before the actual dx.

3. obtainedmist

obtainedmist Approved members

Our endo told us that with type 1, the body can start attacking the beta cells years before any actual symptoms. It's still a mystery as far as I'm concerned!

4. MomofSweetOne

MomofSweetOne Approved members

My DD had borderline hypoglycemia for several years before her diabetes diagnosis. She was diagnosed with Hashimoto's in March of 2009. In October of that year, a fasting BG showed her still borderline hypo. She came down with H1N1 a couple weeks later. It took her a month to recover, and then she was sick every month until June. In July, I began seeing symptoms of diabetes and requested the doctor test her. I think her body had been showing stress on her pancreas for years, and the H1N1 pushed her over the top...but even then, it progressed slowly. But the photos from that year are a slow progression into the skeletal look at the time of hospitalization.

5. McKenna'smom

McKenna'smom Approved members

I'm convinced my DD was sick with Type 1 several years before we were actually diagnosed. We thought she had a lactose issue because she would get sick after eating Ice Cream and Mac and Cheese. Especially on vacations. Our DD was actually in ketoacidosis when she was diagnosed.

6. tiger7lady

tiger7lady Approved members

My son was dx in Feb 2010. Knowing what I know now, I can look back and see symptoms I missed in Oct 2009.

7. Butterfly Betty

Butterfly Betty Approved members

My daughter was diagnosed last December, but after looking back, I can see the signs were there for six months to a year before hand. They were just so subtle that we didn't really think about them until they became severe.

8. Amy C.

Amy C. Approved members

My son had symptoms for two weeks before being diagnosed.

9. jcanolson

jcanolson Approved members

His a1c at dx might give you a clue.

My dd's a1c was over 16, and she was in DKA. Like others have mentioned, looking back we can see the signs were there for months. We just didn't know what we were seeing.

10. cm4kelly

cm4kelly Approved members

My son

We have a genetic predisposition - my husband is also type 1.

However, my son got H1N1 (swine flu) about a month and a half before he was diagnosed. We caught it early - his A17 was around 9. Looking back I probably noticed small symptoms at least over a two week period - urinating so much at night he wet through his diaper.

I thought maybe I just needed nighttime diapers. Drinking a lot. I really feel the flu virus triggered our cell attack - but just my two cents.

11. selketine

selketine Approved members

I think he had some very subtle symptoms about 8 weeks before he was dx'd. The BIG symptoms started about 2 weeks after he caught the RSV (virus) and he was peeing and eating a lot.

We caught it early though and he wasn't sick at all (no ketones). He was 26 months old though so I was very aware of how much he was peeing and drinking - which probably helped me catch it.

I'm not sure why your son would pass out though - my kid was walking around with a BG in the 400's at diagnosis like this was normal. I guess, in hindsight, good thing he had some event like that where he wasn't harmed to lead you to catch it so early.

12. emm142

emm142 Approved members

I've read that children / teenagers diagnosed older usually have a longer and slower onset than those diagnosed as babies and toddlers.

I was diagnosed at 14. I had marked symptoms for around 6 months (for the last 2 weeks or so I knew that it was diabetes, but did nothing about it. We were grieving for a family member who had just died and I didn't realise how serious untreated T1 could become). If I look, I can spot mild symptoms from a year or more before I was dx'd.. but that might just be because I'm looking. The more serious weight loss only began around a month before I was diagnosed, and accelerated in the week before diagnosis.

I was seriously ill when diagnosed. In the hospital they said I "should" have been in a coma with my blood test results (comforting) and my a1C was too high to read. I definitely caught it late after a moderate length onset.

13. Sarah Maddie's Mom

Sarah Maddie's Mom Approved members

I don't think it's possible to do what you are asking. Because it's not a "sickness" like catching a virus, you can't pinpoint when he "became" diabetic. There's no way to know when his immune system began to attack his islet cells nor does it change much re the dx. It may have even been coincidental that he has a fainting spell and you used that opportunity to check his bg and then see the doc. In other words, I wouldn't spend too much time on that question, jmho though.

14. bandmkolb

Thanks all. Just to clarify, he did not have a fainting spell, he said he could not see. He said everything turned black. Blurred vision is a symptom. When this happened I thought he was dizzy or fainting and had low blood sugar. That is why I tested him. Then found out it was not low, it was high on an empty stomach. Also I am not asking for an exact date, just curious if it could have been months, weeks, years? He had never had any other symptoms. I am thankful that I decided to check him regaurdless.;)

15. Sarah Maddie's Mom

Sarah Maddie's Mom Approved members

I've fainted once or twice in my life, and it was pretty much lights out.

Blurred vision is a symptom associated with persistent and very high blood sugar, not a 160 something. That said, people present at dx differently and it's just good that you caught his dx early.

16. TheFormerLantusFiend

TheFormerLantusFiend Approved members

What was his A1c at dx? That should give you some clue as to how long he actually had had diabetes, because it can tell you if things got abruptly worse.
    There were a number of signs to suggest I'd been diabetic for a while by the time I was diagnosed. I am talking years. I had an A1c above 16% although my fasting blood sugar was only 425 at dx (indicating that my blood sugar at dx was not worse than my three month average). I was actually feeling BETTER than I had in a while the day I was diagnosed. I'd been losing weight for two years straight. My vision reverted to what it had been in 8th grade- five years earlier. I stopped having acute photosensitivity- a problem that we'd attributed to sensory integration dysfunction since I'd developed it three years earlier. My mother was smelling ketones on my breath for a month prior to my diagnosis. And I didn't have a honeymoon after being diagnosed- presumably it happened before diagnosis.

17. DsMom

DsMom Approved members

Yes, this is probably the only clue you will have to how long he's been experiencing signs. You did catch it much earlier than most, however, so all you can really do is be grateful for that. There is no way that you could have caught it as soon as the autoimmune response began...there is just no way...so I hope you're not feeling any guilt there. You really got him help very early and did a wonderful job. You can't ask anything more of yourself or him.:cwds:

18. mom24grlz

mom24grlz Approved members

I started noticing symptoms with Ashleigh about 3 months prior to diagnosis. But of course i didn't connect her symptoms to diabetes until a day before her diagnosis.

19. danielsmom

danielsmom Approved members

I really don't know..a year before Daniel was DX he had tummy issues....burning sensation after eating, but I took him in and they ran a blood test and he was put on zyrtec(or what they give for acid reflux)...he was better after a few weeks.....But I can't see what else...he would get up at night to pee a few times a week and now since DX he hasn't gotten up once to do that....School was stressful for him, lots of homework, lots of schoolwork, sports...sometimes I wonder if we just spread him so thin with everythine he was doing.....He didn't get sick much until that one year(2 years before dx) he came down with sever sinus infection and it took months and months to get him better, after too much soccer playing in the rain, mulitple games because of playoffs..he was worn down....I don't know.......

20. bandmkolb

I know you all will think I am crazy but I never asked what his A1C was when he was in the hospital. He was only diagnosed 2 months ago and really I didn't know to ask that. I have contacted the hospital and they can't release information without a signature from me and I live 2 and half hours away. I will have to go by there the next endo visit in November. For some reason the endo office does not have that info, only the hospital.