- advertisement -

How long do you leave numbing cream on the skin before a site change?

Discussion in 'Parents of Children with Type 1' started by thebestnest5, Aug 8, 2007.

1. thebestnest5

thebestnest5 Approved members

And which numbing product do you use?

We have generic Elma which is lidocaine 2.5% and prilocaine 2.5%. We left that on an hour before a sensor site change.

We were just sent LMX5 (lidocaine 5%) and I was told that would most likely work in 15-30 after application. I had only read of LMX4 on the CWD website.

Would you call your Med supplier and request LMX4 or just use the LMX5?

Anyone out there use Topicaine 4 % or 5%, which one?
    http://www.topicaine.com/

2. missnme

missnme Approved members

We use LMX 4 because it's cheaper than the 5 and numbs her just fine. The CDE told us to put it on, tape some plastic over it and wait 20 - 30 minutes. We have left it on for anywhere from 20 minutes to 2 hours (when I forgot it) and it works the same each time.

If you have the 5%, I would use it. I just never paid the extra money to see if it worked faster.

3. Abby-Dabby-Doo

Abby-Dabby-Doo Approved members

We have both (ELMA & LMX4). I think they both work well- I don't horse around with the time, I give either one of them 30 minutes. I put the cream on, and put a piece of saran wrap over it while she plays. I've never heard of LMX5, and I'm not at home to look at my box to compare the two. Is it possible to Goggle the ingredients of LMX4 and LMX5 and compare them?

It wouldn't hurt to call your medical supplier and ask the difference between the two. I picked my LMX4 up at Walgreen's, it's available without a prescription if you just wanted to compare yourself.

I just sent an eamil off to try a product by Iomed called Numby Stuff. I've never tried Topicaine 4 % or 5%.

I'm sorry, I don't feel like I'm not much help. :eek:

4. rickst29

rickst29 Approved members

depending on age, condition of skin, nerves....

The wait for MAXIMUM effect could be as long as an hour. (Afterwards, it stays strong for about another hour).

But most young children respond faster. 30-45 mins seems to be about right most of the time. (YMMV!!!) If you're really seeing good pain supression after only 15 minutes, maybe you should use less quantity and give it more time. For a straight-in poke, just one drop is enough, if you can do a marking trick and hit the LMX4 site exactly in the center. Topicaine causes a temporary red blotch on my skin, automatically marking the spot for aiming right after I wash the site. Although it fades very quickly, and isn't very bright, this is a nice advantage. It's also very cheap when bought in the "monster-sized" 4 oz. tube, which will last me for years. (If you have insurance coverage, this may not be important.)

I'm not a medical professional, of course. Note that although EMLA is the most famous of these products, the FDA issued a warning in December which explicitly said that multiple active ingredients (e.g., Lidocaine AND Prilocaine) make a product more dangerous than the same total amount of ONE ingredient-- e.g., LMX-4, LMX-5, or the Topiciaine equivalents.

We don't use these products in excessive amounts, as the hair-removal salons did in their fatalities. So you'll probably never be at risk-- but the FDA says that the risk is definitely greater, so I recommend using a Lidocaine-only product. And 4% is definitely strong enough to make insertions TOTALLY pain-free, if you give it enough time.

A little planning goes a long way. :D

BTW, I need a full 75 minutes, but I'm an adult and stay sensitive for unusually long times (at the dentist too, and at the ER for sewing jobs, not just for Glucose Sensors and infusion sets).

Last edited: Aug 8, 2007