- advertisement -

how long did it take you to recognize glutening symptoms in your child?

Discussion in 'Celiac' started by Snowflake, Mar 24, 2014.

1. Snowflake

Snowflake Approved members

Can anyone give me a sense of how long it took you to recognize symptoms that your child has been glutened?

For three days at the end of last week, my 4 yo daughter was complaining of tummy aches, refusing to eat much, and running low bgs that were difficult to treat. I'm wearing gluten glasses these days, and this all felt very much like the 2 months before her celiac diagnosis, so I figured she'd been inadvertently glutened either at school or at a restaurant and we'd just have to ride it out.

Then, yesterday, my daughter started complaining of a sore throat, and she positively wilted; all she wanted to do was lay in the dark. And then it hit me that we've seen similar symptoms before the onset of strep throat: terrible stomach aches, usually with vomitting after a couple of days, and low bgs that don't respond well to treatment (sometimes with a fever but not always). We've experienced this pattern before she gets a strep throat diagnosis at least 5 or 6 times since she was dx-ed with Type 1. I took her to urgent care last night, and she does in fact have strep throat.

I feel awful that I was complacently assuming glutening when she probably felt super crummy with the onset of the strep bug. So, I guess my question for the veterans is if/when I will get to the point where the glutening symptoms are obvious? I'd hate to miss a bug because I'm thinking celiac, and vice versa, especially because stomach issues make it so difficult for us to control her bgs.

2. SarahKelly

SarahKelly Approved members

We are still just a 8 months into celiac disease dx, however, Isaac reacts within 20 minutes when he has had gluten. There was a brand of yogurt covered raisins that were GF so they were on his "safe" snack list at school, he had the snack at 1, I volunteer for computers at 1:20 and by that time he had a tummy ache and other symptoms. I called the company and they had changed the recipe and were not longer GF, so...for him it's pretty quick. I think it would also depend on the amount of gluten, too.