- advertisement -

How long did it take to get 'adjusted' to Apidra?

Discussion in 'Parents of Children with Type 1' started by ecs1516, Jan 24, 2011.

1. ecs1516

ecs1516 Approved members

Two sons just started on Apidra two site changes ago. One son no problems, the other (younger) requiring lots of basal increase because of highs.

How long can this take?

No ketones

2. Chippy28

Chippy28 Approved members

Took about 3-5 days for me to come back to normal. But, I didn't need to change any of my settings once my body got used to the Apidra.

3. ecs1516

ecs1516 Approved members

Did you have to increase like crazy on the amount of insulin until the 3-5 days was over?

My older son has had no issue. Younger has a BG right now of 469. No ketones. I was already running a +20 basal increase on top of a increased basal I already programmed. His lowest BG today was 197. Did another site change made no difference.:(

4. Chippy28

Chippy28 Approved members

Yep. I had a huge temp basal going...I think +100% and I still have BGs around 200. Corrections seemed to do nothing. For the first few days it was like I put saline in my pump not insulin. It was really strange. However, since I had heard of others having this response, I stuck with it and everything leveled out by the end of the week. I hope things work out for your son...I can imagine how frustrated you are.

5. hold48398

hold48398 Approved members

About two weeks. We also had to increase all the basals but we were very bolus heave at that time (about 65% bolus, now 55%). So, I guess we were due for an adjustment anyways.