- advertisement -

How Long are Ketone Strips Really Good For?

Discussion in 'Parents of Children with Type 1' started by funnygrl, Apr 8, 2011.

1. funnygrl

funnygrl Approved members

I almost never test ketones. Today I went to urgent care (for something totally unrelated to diabetes) and was given IV steroids. I've been lingering around 300 since despite multiple corrections, and even some double corrections. It's been about 8 hours so I figured I might as well check ketones. They were perfectly negative, as I expected, but the strips expire in '08. Think that's an issue?

2. sarahspins

sarahspins Approved members

It could be, especially if the container was opened that long ago (they're only good for 6 months after opening I think) but I have never gotten ketones from steroid induced highs... usually for me it takes a complete lack of basal insulin such as would happen with a bad pump site or something along those lines.

3. JeremysDad

JeremysDad Approved members

There are 2 types of urine Ketones strips (that I am aware of). The vial of strips that will expire 6 months after you first open them and individually-wrapped strips that last a lot longer because you only open one strip at a time and the other strips stay sealed. It's harder to find the individually-wrapped strips for some reason but you could ask your pharmacy to get them for you. I asked my local CVS and had them within a week.

I do not think I would trust a reading from a urine strip that old. It might be correct but then again, it might be way off.

4. funnygrl

funnygrl Approved members

My blood sugar is down to the 160s-200s now. It was only one dose of IV steroids, so I'm guessing it's almost out of my system by now.

They were the individually foil wrapped kinda.

Sarah- I was thinking the same thing you were that I really shouldn't have ketones since I'm not insulin deficient, just resistant from the 'roids.

5. StillMamamia

StillMamamia Approved members

Yeah, I would not use them again.

Glad the BG is down.

6. Tuff

Tuff Approved members

I Found some old ketones strips that showed the urine glucose also. I got my son to try a new strip and an old one (2008). The new one showed the glucose and no ketones. The old strip showed nothing - no glucose or ketones. I guess they really do expire.