- advertisement -

How long after you found out did your kids get the pump.

Discussion in 'Parents of Children with Type 1' started by CassiesMama, Feb 3, 2010.

1. zell828

zell828 Approved members

My SD was diagnosed 02/11/2008, she started the pump in 10/2008 and the CGM in 02/09.

2. hawkeyegirl

hawkeyegirl Approved members

We went on the pump 5 months after diagnosis. Our endo originally told us that he likes to have kids be around 7 years old before they pump. (My son was diagnosed at age 3.) I smiled, nodded, and at our 3 month check-up told them that we wanted the pump now. He could tell by that point that we understood D well enough to transition successfully and wrote the prescription for us. I believe at that time, Jack was the youngest pumper that he had, but since then he has put more young kids on the pump.

3. CassiesMama

CassiesMama Approved members

Thanks for the imput we have our 6 week follow up today so since insurance seams to take awhile to being willing to pay for one I will ask them today about maybe getting paper work going. I know it might help cut down on my stress some, and being that she is now begging me every day for one dont think it will hurt to try to push for sooner.

4. thebestnest5

thebestnest5 Approved members

Liv was dx'd May 2006 and started pumping in March 2007. She wishes that she had started pumping sooner, rather than later.

5. chbarnes

chbarnes Approved members

Chris started at age 11 about 2 months after dx. This was about 55 days too late.

Chuck

6. tom_ethansdad

tom_ethansdad Approved members

We were told about pumps while in the hospital at DX, but after they did research told us that our insurance required a six month wait before they would cover a pump. At three and a half months we started the paperwork and started pumping four months after DX with insurance covering.

7. sarahspins

sarahspins Approved members

I didn't ask until 5 months after my actual T1 diagnosis.. I probably could have asked much sooner.

If any of my kids were diagnosed I would be pushing to have them on a pump from day 1... I think honestly for most kids, especially newly diagnosed when insulin needs are the most variable, that it just makes more sense. I know I battled lots and lots of ups and downs when I was newly diagnosed, and a majority of that had to do with the limitations of the insulin I was told to use.

8. Bill

Bill Approved members

At our last team meeting, while I was chatting with the nurse, Liam asked the ped about getting the pump. He said that it was a good idea. This conversation was 7 months after dx. We are now in the process of doing the paperwork and meeting with reps. We also got the book "Pumping Insulin"

(http://www.amazon.com/Pumping-Insulin-Everything-Success-Smart/dp/1884804861/ref=pd_sim_b_3)

which has helped us learn more about insulin pumps, and how our D-management will change. All the best with your endo appointment.

9. Leece

Leece Approved members

2 months. It just took that long to get the paperwork approved and get trained. The NPH and Novorapid routine did not work for us at all.

10. bbirdnuts@aol.com

bbirdnuts@aol.com Approved members

The Endo. office started talking to us about a pump immediately. My daughter was totally resistant because she did not want to have a tube attached to her body. I was on this website and saw an ad for a tubeless pump (OmniPod) and called them immediately. She started pumping 2 1/2 months after starting on insulin, but could have started sooner. She loves pumping.

11. Kayeecee

Kayeecee Approved members

That's EXACTLY how I feel. My 7 y.o. was pumping approximately 90 days post-diagnosis and that was 80 days too long on MDI. And we got a DexCom7 about 45 days ahead of the Pump. Couldn't imagine life without either one of them now. btw, we have United Health Care and there is no such 6 month waiting period. Medical necessity is medical necessity.

12. CassiesMama

CassiesMama Approved members

Right now we are on medicaid since hubby lost his job, so I have no clue what the wait time is for them. Hopefully they will let us start working towards one, fingers crossed.

13. redmcgee

redmcgee Approved members

3.5 years and it was scary but very glad we did. Dx Sept 2005 pumping Jan 2009

14. mom2two

mom2two Approved members

A year and I am glad we had to wait because we learned the ropes of MDI. He was dx in Oct, and in Nov I found OmniPod info in a magazine and started doing research on it. IF DS2 got diagnosed we would not have to wait the standard year.

15. gboysmom

gboysmom Approved members

We were dx'd back in July and around Thanksgiving we told we could give it a try with a trial one. Griffen didn't like it and opted to stay with MDI for a while longer. So, we weren't even 6 months into it all.

16. Charlotte'sMom

Charlotte'sMom Approved members

Our first endo said a year and that bothered me a lot, especially because he wouldn't consider diluted insulin either. And we were having a really hard time b/c DD's insulin needs were so small and even 1/2 unit syringes weren't cutting it.

I didn't press the issue because I knew we were moving soon anyway. But when I was endo shopping after we moved, I picked an endo that said he would consider a pump. At our first visit with him we were doing the paperwork and pumping about 7 months after her diagnosis. (which was still 6 months too late, but that was the best we could do.)

17. amieelynne

amieelynne Approved members

we were told that the endo office had a policy in place to address pumps...had to have D for 1 yr and be over 10yrs old. that said, my son was 6yrs old when dx'd in feb-had only had D for 1 month when we got a script for the pump and was live on insulin in an animas by the time he was 60 days dx'd w/D

we had an awesome pediatrician who caught him at dx before he went into dka so all treatment and education was outpatient, never even went to the ER-straight to endo office and that night or the next I found CWD--got educated myself, believed that a pump was the best thing for my son and ADVOCATED for it

only you can decide what is right for your child--if you think she is ready and it is in her benefit then let the docs know it. good luck...D is a crazy road and pumping doesn't make it easier per se, just different

18. fdlafon

fdlafon Approved members

Jordan's endo required us to learn how to manage the shots and carbs first, so it was about 9 months before we could get authorized. She originally said it could be 12, so we were happy!

19. crazymom05

crazymom05 New Member

My oldest D child was diagnosed at 5 1/2. We started pumping when he was 8 1/2. I was ready before he was. My 4 yr old was just diagnosed in December and we left the clinic on a pump! I was sooo happy! I have never done MDI's and the thought totally stressed me out. We were using a loaner pump and actually just got home from the clinic from picking up his brand new pump ;). Our clinic totally rocks!

Kristy - mom of 5, 2 /wT1 (Zac, 12, dx'd 3/21/03 and Ethan, 4, dx'd 12/14/09) both pumping Ping

20. somewheretheresacure.org

somewheretheresacure.org New Member

I've got a great story about this...

When Sarah was dxd we lived in CT at the time. We were equal distance between Yale in New Haven & Hasbro in Providence. Our pediatrician after dxd Sarah sent us to Providence as it was a little bit closer.

At Sarah's 3 mo appt. I asked the Dr.
    "How old do you think Sarah will have to be to get on the pump?"
    At the time Sarah had just turned 4 years old. I could not believe it when the Dr. actually LAUGHED at me and snottily said 12!.

I just cried, not only was that way off from what I was thinking and hoping for but that was 8 years away!... I could not believe the way we were treated. It is a day and a conversation I will never forget. We left Hasbro and immediately switched to Yale and 6 months later Sarah started on the pump and started kindergarten. It was the best thing that happened to us in our journey.