advertisement

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

How long after you found out did your kids get the pump.

Discussion in 'Parents of Children with Type 1' started by CassiesMama, Feb 3, 2010.

1. CassiesMama

CassiesMama Approved members

For the last week Cassidy keeps hounding me when about when can she get a pump. I am so happy for her that she is excited about getting one but its hard to tell her that the endo says 6months to a year before they would think about it for her. How long did you all have to wait?

2. sweetkid4

sweetkid4 Approved members

We were told we would have to wait a year by our 1st endo ( reg endo). We switched to a pedo within 2 months, and she told us we could have one whenever we wanted one. We waited 6 months, but that was for my sanitity and no other reason:p. That is so awesome that she wants one... DS took some convincing!

3. swellman

swellman Approved members

We waited for about a year - in retrospect for no apparent good reason.

4. mommylovestosing

mommylovestosing Approved members

Endo making us wait 6 months. Ella is counting the days...

5. Gracie'sMom

Gracie'sMom Approved members

We were told by the nurse that my dd was ready for the pump at 4 months. The endo came in and was hesitant because it hadn't been 6 months and I asked her why 6 months is so important and she couldn't really answer to she approved it. Then it took almost 2 months anyway to get it and get trained (new pump was coming out, so a couple of the weeks were waiting for it to hit the market).

6. jules12

jules12 Approved members

Our endo/cde showed us the pumps in the hospital at dx and provided us with the paperwork to order one. They didn't care which one - at the time, we had a choice of three they recommended.

1 month after dx, we attended pump class and were pumping live with insulin.

Sometimes the 6 month rule is because some insurances still require a waiting period but I would think you could fight that if the endo wrote a letter of medical necessity for it.

7. NicksMother

NicksMother Approved members

My DS isn't pumping after almost 2 yrs because he doesn't want too but we were told at dx that our insurance would make us wait at least 6 months.

8. Lorraine

Lorraine Approved members

Caleb was pumping in about three months. Our endo was fully supportive of starting right away. We just needed to get insurance approval and it was during a time when my husband had just started a new job. So as soon as he could, Caleb started pumping.

9. Andii

Andii Approved members

We were told we had to wait 6 months for insurance purposes (4 1/2 yrs ago). But I waited 8 or 9 months because I was scared of the possibility of site failures during the night. Then we had a really bad day on shots, so I got over that fear (mostly). I do test her at night if I think something might be going on with the site. We've had a few nighttime issues, but nothing we couldn't handle at home, thankfully.

Good Luck!

Andii

10. RosemaryCinNJ

RosemaryCinNJ Approved members

Amanda dx at 13 mos....did not start pumping til age 3 and a half (3 mos ago) only because I finally switched endo's and the new endo recommended it..Old endo was not on board with a pump at all and neither was his staff...strange!!

Good luck..

11. Beach bum

Beach bum Approved members

We talked about the pump at our first meeting with the endo.
    By the time we researched, went through eval at endos office, went through the insurance hoops, it was 8 months post diagnosis.

This gave us enough time to get the hang of carb counting, figuring out dosing etc. Also, our daughter was still honeymooning when she started pumping.

12. ecs1516

ecs1516 Approved members

We waited a year but that was ten years ago and normal at the time.

13. TripleThreat

TripleThreat Approved members

2 on day of diagnosis
    1 ten years after diagnosis
    me a little longer

14. Toni

Toni Banned

Endo in town (at hospital where she was diagnosed) makes you wait six months to a year but it can be longer. His whole endo group waits until he has three parents reading to pump, puts you in the hospital for a three day pump school. We would have liked the pump school (he is very thorough) but Sis did not want to wait. Nor did she want to spend any time on NPH. Went to the endo in the City as soon as we could get an appointment (one month). They will put you on the pump when you meet their criteria (from three to six months usually). Sis wanted to go right on ASAP after diagnosis. Took us four months from dx, three months once we had seen the endo group in the City.

15. Christopher

Christopher Approved members

We don't have a pump but hope it is OK if I chime in. We also were told to wait a year before trying a pump. The rationale was so that we could learn the basics first, figuring out ratios, drawing up insulin, giving injections, doing corrections, treating lows, seeing how different things like food and exercise effect bg levels, etc. I am not saying that is a great rationale, but it was helpful to get used to living with this illness on a daily basis. That being said, if you feel like your daughter and family is ready for a pump, I don't think you should let her endo dissuade you from getting one. At least find out what her endo's rationale for waiting is. Ultimately, it is you and your daughters decision and no one else's. Good luck...

16. shekov

shekov Approved members

2 months but only because it took that long to get the paperwork through.

Endo team brought it up at dx in hospital. If they hadn't, I would have since I had some experience with the pump and knew that I wanted dd to have one.

17. theamusingredhead

theamusingredhead Approved members

3 months

We are starting day 2.

18. Sarah Maddie's Mom

Sarah Maddie's Mom Approved members

Over 2 years.

But that was our decision. Endo would have had us pumping within 6 months.

19. Ellen

Ellen Senior Member

At least one ped endo in the UK puts newly diagnosed toddlers on the pump at diagnosis.

20. McKenna'smom

McKenna'smom Approved members

Our insurance requires us to wait 6 months, our endo says he can try to push it through faster if we wanted. We are just as happy to wait until our Summer vacation in June is over and we have the rest of the Summer to get used to it before school starts again. My DD wants to pump.