- advertisement -

How long after DX did you get your pump?

Discussion in 'Parents of Children with Type 1' started by faithfaery7, May 29, 2014.

1. megk23

megk23 Approved members

This post is aggravating me.

Our endo wants us to wait until DS is 8. He's 5.5. I'm appalled at how early everyone else can get one and ours won't let us.

2. faithfaery7

faithfaery7 Approved members

Has your endo said why they want you to wait so long?
    Maybe you should start looking for a new endo....

3. megk23

megk23 Approved members

Becky, they don't want kids to think they're "different" was the excuse I got. I understand wanting the year of carb count and MDI (also a rule of theirs) but waiting until 8? I asked someone about how they got their DD's pump through them, and after our appointment in August, I just might be changing..

4. Mommy For Life

Mommy For Life Approved members

I am sorry your endo is giving you such grief. Is there anyway you can push harder to get one? We have Kaiser ins. We were not given a specific time frame to wait, it was really up to us and how comfortable we were to make that step. Ideally, our endo wanted us to get a few months of MDI time, but I am sure if I pushed we could have jumped on the pump parade. DD was on a pump 6 months post dx.

I really hope you can advocate hard enough that your endo will let your son get a pump. Is there someone higher up on the food chain in your endo group you can seek assistance from? Just keep pushing and knocking heads til you get your pump! Good luck!!

5. StacyMM

StacyMM Approved members

We didn't pursue it with our daughter for several years. Our doctor had no timeline so they didn't push it or prevent it.

Our son requested one while he was still in the hospital at diagnosis. We researched, met with reps, got the prescription written, ran everything through insurance and set up training...and started pumping about 2.5 months post-diagnosis.

6. rgcainmd

rgcainmd Approved members

"Don't want kids to think they're different." WTF?!?!? Yeah, right. Our kids have absolutely no idea whatsoever that other kids don't poke their fingers to make them bleed and get shots several times a day. I guess I fell asleep during our diabetes education session just before the point where our CDE explained that T1D also causes IQ points to fly out of children's ears like rats off a sinking ship.

Save yourself what sounds like what would be even more grief than I went through to get my daughter a pump and find your son a new endo. Do not pass go. Do not collect $200. Do not look back.

7. MomofSweetOne

MomofSweetOne Approved members

This is the most stupid excuse that I've heard. I will never forget the birthday party where my daughter climbed into the car afterward and sobbed because food had been brought out at three different times...and she was on MDI. That's about as different as you can get. That same scenario wouldn't faze her in the least now.

As far as carb counting, it doesn't take long. Maybe to become proficient at it, but that's just repetition of skill.

Your doctor sounds clueless about helping make life with D less stressful and overly power hungry. I wouldn't be going to the August appointment. I'd be scheduling with someone else NOW.

8. miss_behave

miss_behave Approved members

That's reminiscent of Endo attitudes circa 1998! Newborn babies with neonatal D get put on pumps at diagnosis now. Find a new Endo.

9. faithfaery7

faithfaery7 Approved members

I know I'm the newest to this whole thing, but I completely agree with everything that has been said.

Shots and finger pricks multiple times a day, compared to a (mostly) unseen pump certainly isn't the way to make a d kid feel more normal.

Either find a new endo, or have a serious talk with your current one.

Pshhh make them hate you by nagging them about it. You know, that whole "squeaky wheel gets the grease" thing