- advertisement -

How long after DX did you get your pump?

Discussion in 'Parents of Children with Type 1' started by faithfaery7, May 29, 2014.

1. faithfaery7

faithfaery7 Approved members

So Ducky was dx'd a little over a week ago. I'm really hoping he'll be able to get a pump at some point. I was just wondering about how long it took before your child was able to get a pump?

Right now we're still trying to get his numbers in range, so I'm sure it will be a while. I'm just hoping it won't be toooooooo long before we can get something for him.

2. Sarah Maddie's Mom

Sarah Maddie's Mom Approved members

To a large extent it depends on your endo. Are you going to Yale?

3. KatieSue

KatieSue Approved members

For us it was 6 months. They wanted to be sure we had shots and carb counting down first. I believe it was also a requirement of our insurance to wait 6 months but now I can't remember who told us that.

4. nanhsot

nanhsot Approved members

Our insurance company had a restriction of a 6 month wait. It was actually closer to 8 months by the time it all got worked out.

5. rgcainmd

rgcainmd Approved members

Our insurance approved coverage for a pump the week after my daughter's diagnosis. Despite this fact, our endo is making us wait 4 months, one week, and three days just because she can. Which is why we have an appointment with a new endo the very same day as our 2-weeks-after-pump-start follow up appointment with our soon-to-be ex-endo.

6. mamattorney

mamattorney Approved members

My daughter started a little less than 6 months post diagnosis. Our insurance company had a 6 month wait in their written policy, but it approved it anyway.

There was some verbal commentary by the endo staff about how it was very unusual that we made the request so early post diagnosis (we asked to take the Intro to Pumping class at our 3 month post diagnosis endo appt), but how they felt we had a hang of carb counting and MDI, so they were OK with sending in the paperwork when we made the final decision to go ahead with a pump.

7. glko

glko Approved members

DS was diagnosed August 14th and started the pump 3 months later. Our insurance had a policy that requires 6 months since diagnosis (which is based off of a CMS Medicare policy). We filed an appeal and were approved sooner, actually I think we had to appeal 2 levels up. But we would have likely waited longer except for the fact that both DH and I are CDEs and he has lived with Type 1 for 30yrs and has been on a pump himself, so the learning curve for us was not steep. Our endo clinic however said that they will send little ones home from the hospital on pumps and they see no reason to wait as long as the child is comfortable with it and the parents are able to handle the carb counting and pump technology. So they had no issue with us starting ASAP.

8. Snowflake

Snowflake Approved members

We started pushing for a pump 2 months post-diagnosis, and it took almost 4 months to actually initiate pumping. We had to jump through a LOT of hoops, more from our endo team than from our insurer. If our center hadn't been so bureaucratic and overcrowded, we would have happily started sooner than 6 months. There were multiple classes and meetings, and they were all difficult to schedule. There was also some "homework" to prove that we could carb count and do overnight testing, but I didn't mind that so much, as it actually was a good learning experience.

Due to an interstate move, we're with a different endo team now. They've told us that their philosophy is to put babies and toddlers on the pump quickly. Like you said in some of your other posts, carb ratios are hard in this age group. Some of the little ones also have issues with shots, but my DD got over that part pretty quickly.

9. namegirl

namegirl Approved members

2 weeks.

We had a 20-month old who needed teeny tiny amounts of insulin that would be difficult to eyeball with a syringe. Fortunately, our endo was a Type 1 herself who used a pump and she didn't give it a second thought. She started setting us up with a pump right on our day of diagnosis.

10. ksartain

ksartain Approved members

We had our pump in hand 10 months after diagnosis. It took a month from approval from our endo to get all the insurance, paperwork, and financial stuff taken care of. That month also included shipping time.

11. faithfaery7

It looks like it's pretty all over the map, as far as wait time is concerned.

We aren't going to Yale. We're being seen at CCMC. In a week we have our two week appointment, so I will bring it up then.

And I'm pretty sure Ducky is on Medicare, since he has state insurance. I'm assuming that the 6 month wait time is probably pretty accurate as far as insurance goes

12. acoppus

acoppus Approved members

10 weeks. Our son was diagnosed at 2 and our endocrinologist really pushed for us to be able to get the pump for the small doses and less injections. I agree that it really depends on your endo, ours really went to bat for us.

13. cm4kelly

cm4kelly Approved members

We were diagnosed in November (2009) and started our pump in August (2010) so around 6 months.

We knew we wanted a pump from the beginning, but since I am a teacher, I wanted to wait until the summer when my son could be home with me and I could have some time to learn it before he went back to school. For us the 6 months was convenience.

I think if you want it earlier in many practices, you have to be a little pushy. Some insurances want 6 months too. Just go in being knowledgeable and knowing that you feel this is the best option for your child. For us the pump has been a wonderful tool and it has made life much easier.

14. mmgirls

mmgirls Approved members

with my oldest it was 6 months from DX which 8 years ago that was what insurance said it was. With my youngest she was DX'd on March 17th and we put her on the pump May 23rd. But we happened to have a second pump laying around that is less than 4 years old.

15. rgcainmd

rgcainmd Approved members

Does Medicare even cover insulin pumps?

ETA: I googled "Does Medicare cover the cost of insulin pumps?" and I came across this:

"Medicare is the federal health insurance program for people age 65 and older, people under age 65 with disabilities and people with End-Stage Renal Disease (ESRD). - See more at: http://www.diabetes.org/living-with-diabetes/health-insurance/medicare.html#sthash.n5u8PYeD.dpuf" Are you sure your son is on Medicare?

If your son is on Medicaid, be aware that there are some restrictions regarding coverage for insulin pumps in some states.

Last edited: May 29, 2014
  16. faithfaery7

He's on state insurance. Husky. But most doctor's offices refer to it as Medicare. But I have no idea if they cover pumps or not.

17. hawkeyegirl

hawkeyegirl Approved members

It's Medicaid. :) Medicare is for old people and people with specific disabilities.

We got a pump 5 months post-diagnosis. Which was 5 months too long.

18. cdninct

cdninct Approved members

We could have had K pumping within a few weeks of dx (if he had been above 4 years old, we could have left the hospital with a pump), but my husband held out for a while. When he was ready at the 4-month appointment, the paperwork was filed, and K was pumping with about 10 days.

At a quick glance (and assuming kids' HUSKY is the same as adult HUSKY--I don't understand the Part A and Part B stuff!), it looks like HUSKY covers pumps, but you need to meet some requirements, including doing shots for 6 months, logging 4+ BGs per day for 2 months, taking a pump education class, having big fluctuations in BG, and having an a1c above 7.0 (I love it: t1ds are "brittle" if they see numbers <60 or >300, and their diabetes is "poorly controlled" if a1c is greater than 7.0!). The requirements look like they should be do-able. Your endo may well have some experience working with Husky, and might know work-arounds to get things moving faster. As others have said, if you want to get pumping, you might have to be pushy. Yale is very pro-pump, but I don't know about CCMC. Generally, doing some research on your own and going in showing that you understand what they are all about and what your options are helps. Here's a link!

19. Lori_Gaines

Lori_Gaines Approved members

We got ours about 4 months post diagnosis. Our endo at Stanford really pushed for us to get on a pump ASAP due to our daughter being 2 1/2 and the time. Our insurance also had the typical 6 month waiting period, but the endo team there went through all the red tape to get it approved sooner. :)

20. tammy82

tammy82 Approved members

My daughter was diagnosed at 18 months, we did shots for about 3-4 months then onto the pump which is the best thing we ever did.