- advertisement -

How long after a correction dose....

Discussion in 'Parents of Children with Type 1' started by yelley, Apr 13, 2011.

1. yelley

yelley Approved members

do you usually re-check your childs BG?

This is only our 2nd correction dose in over a year and first sick day with a high BG.

I am going to need some refresher courses here....

She is still honeymooning (quite well I may add) so we don't usually deal with highs only lows.

I just need to know when I can expect the correction dose to start kicking in so to speak.

Thanks for any reply's!

2. 3kidlets

3kidlets Approved members

We check after an hour to make sure it is starting to come down and then recheck at 2 hours. If I see it isn't coming down enough at 2 hours, we will do another correction taking in to consideration the IOB on her PDM.

We are using Apidra and I have to say, it is fast! Last night some how (bad guesstimating at Burger King I would assume) Hana ended up at 300! I gave her a correction and 1 hour later she was 150. That was much faster than any correction I ever did with NovoLog.

3. yelley

yelley Approved members

Thank you....

I will re-test at the hour mark and see where she is and go from there.

4. Christopher

Christopher Approved members

I usually wait for at least 2 hours. You shouldn't give another correction dose until at least 2 or 3 hours after the first one (to avoid stacking), so there is no real reason to check at the 1 hour mark, unless you are worried about them going too low.

5. Amy C.

Amy C. Approved members

Agreed. My son is often the same or higher an hour after a correction -- even with the pump!

6. yelley

yelley Approved members

Just as you stated, not much change after the 1 hour mark. She went from 398 - 368.
    I did not do another correction as I fear her going too low. With still being in the honeymoon period you never know when her pancreas is going to "help out".:rolleyes:

I will check again at the 2 hour mark, depending on that reading, when do you determine that she would need an additional correction dose?

If her BG is slowly dropping, my gut is to let it go as long as it does not jump up again.

I told my husband the other day that even after a year we still have soooo much learning to do. We have been riding the honemoon wave and things have been so easy, well I believe this is just the beginning!

7. Christopher

Christopher Approved members

I would think after 3 hours if they were not coming down then you could do another correction, or maybe half of a usual correction. As always, please check with your child's endo when making these types of decisions.

8. caspi

caspi Approved members

We've been at this almost 5 years and we are always learning new things! :)

9. Amy C.

Amy C. Approved members

That reading told you she was going in the right direction. I would not have done anything else either. The insulin is just starting to work hard at 1 hour. She should drop even more at 2 and be in range between 3-4 hours after the shot.

10. yelley

yelley Approved members

Ok, 2 hour mark and she is down to 280! We are going in the right direction.

Thanks to all who have commented.

Even though I have not posted much on these boards I read the posts all the time because I know that I too could soon be encountering some of these same situations.

11. wilf

wilf Approved members

For what it's worth, we test 1.5 and 3 hours after corrections.