- advertisement -

how is CGM with pump different from artificial pancreas?

Discussion in 'Parents of Children with Type 1' started by bhs00, Feb 3, 2012.

1. bhs00

bhs00 New Member

My son will turn 2 in a few weeks and he was diagnosed 5 months ago. We went to pump class yesterday because we were thinking about getting a pump. They showed us three different pumps. And then they showed us a continuous glucose monitoring system. I left wondering how is this different that an artificial pancreas that I keep hearing about? It seems to do the same thing as I see it from a high level. Could anyone describe or send me a link that shows this?

2. nanhsot

nanhsot Approved members

In an artificial pancreas the CGM and meter communicate, so if the cgm detects a low, it turns basal down or off...important in the middle of the night in particular. Right now CGM may detect a low, but just alarms (and not very loudly), basal will continue via pump. The technology for this is there now, but not in practice yet.

If the AP detects a high it tells to correct based on IOB. Essentially the cgm dictates some of what the meter does in an artificial pancreas, which is not true with CGM/meter currently. That's my understanding anyway.

CGM gives information in almost real time. Does not communicate to pump. Pump delivers insulin based upon what YOU tell it.

My issue with artificial pancreas is cgm reliability. My son's CGM is typically 20ish points higher than meter readings. Sometimes it is wildly wrong, we've seen errors of over 100 points at times (high and low), and you should NEVER treat based only on cgm readings. This would have to be refined before I felt AP was a good idea.

There are CGMs that are integrated with the pump, but they do not interact, just have the info in one device as a readout.

3. Christopher

Christopher Approved members

The simplest explanation is that with the current CGM and pump set up, you need to look at the numbers and make the decision on what action to take. With the AP, it will supposedly make the decision based on the numbers. I would not hold my breath for the AP.

4. Mama Belle

Mama Belle Approved members

Sensors are getting more accurate. Medtronic's new sensor is supposed to be much better. Dexcom's Gen 4 sensor was ridiculously spot on. I am actually more worried about the accuracy of traditional SMBG meters than the sensors.

AP will get there eventually. I've actually seen early (unreleased) data on this and it is astounding. A kid who was hooked up to the AP inpatient ate a hamburger and his BG never went above 140. The AP kept him virtually level. They'll get there eventually, it's just a matter of how long it will take to get approved. Given the rate that it's taking the FDA to move forward with a low glucose suspend system, it could be a good long while.

5. fiaz

fiaz Approved members

How does this work for a hamburger? I am confused. They must have done a carb count and given the insulin 30 min or an hour before the meal, right? Because I would think the hamburger would cause a spike and the insulin will play catch-up easily going past 140 BG.