- advertisement -

How High Does a Glucose Tab Take You?

Discussion in 'Parents of Children with Type 1' started by danielsmom, Aug 18, 2011.

1. danielsmom

danielsmom Approved members

Sorry for the dumb question...it may vary according to child...Daniel came in to show me his 51 on the meter. And I gave him 3 Tabs....15 minutes later he was 157... That seemed like a big spike quickly....Just wondering if there is range it should go...

2. LJM

LJM Approved members

Have him wash his hands next time. It could be the chalky residue from the tabs making him appear higher than he actually is.

3. Rusty

Rusty Approved members

Sounds about right to me. One 4 gram glucotab will take London up 40 to 50 points.

4. Tigerlilly's mom

Tigerlilly's mom Approved members

Sounds right to me too.:cwds:

We treat with 3 glucose tablets (12 carbs total) and will usually see an increase of around 100 points (well most of the time:p)

5. danielsmom

danielsmom Approved members

Okay...just checking....thanks...yeah and I didn't have him wash his hands....

6. Lisa P.

Lisa P. Approved members

Yup for us.

There's a number someone else here who isn't a numbers dope can help you figure out -- I can't even remember the capital letter abbreviation for it -- you determine how many bp points one carb will raise you. It's very handy to have in the back of your head so that you can add the right number of carbs together for correcting at 40 or at 60 or at 80. Always remember, of course, that since digestion isn't instant if you need 5 carbs to raise a 40 to a 90 not all of the 5 carbs will get in within 15 minutes, so you usually have to give more than he "needs" for a deep or fast low.

7. TheFormerLantusFiend

TheFormerLantusFiend Approved members

It's the BCR.
    My blood sugar doesn't usually come up much in 15 minutes, no matter what I eat.
    You can get a good guess as to how much 1 gram of sugar will raise your son in two ways: first, by his weight- if he's about 80 lb, one gram of sugar should raise his blood sugar about 6 mg/dl (if he's bigger, it'll raise him less).
    Two, if you take his correction factor (also called ISF or insulin sensitivity factor, the amount that one unit lowers his bg) and divide it by his carb ratio (how many carbs are covered by one unit) then if he's not honeymooning and his numbers are accurate, that should tell you how much a gram of sugar raises him.

8. Connie(BC)Type 1

Connie(BC)Type 1 Approved members

I use 1, sometimes 2 tabs to correct a low

9. emm142

emm142 Approved members

3 glucose tabs would take my BG that high, but not that quickly. The rise depends on 3 things:

1. Which direction his BG was trending in before he got the tabs (it may have already been heading up).

2. His BCR (how much 1g glucose raises his BG).

3. His digestion (if it's faster, glucose is absorbed more quickly).

If I had 3 glucose tabs at 51, it wouldn't be a surprise for me to be around 160 45 minutes later, but my digestion is slow enough that if I was 160 after 15 minutes, I'd know I was headed for a high. You'll get a feel for how these things work for Daniel as time goes on. I'd wonder about the sugary residue from the tabs as well.. Did he wash his hands?

10. ROVERT81402

ROVERT81402 Approved members

My son is 9 years old, weighs 83lbs and 1 glucose tabe (4carbs) will raise his BG about 28 points. This has been our correction factor since he was diagnose 4 years ago.

11. lisac

lisac Approved members

Hadlee is VERY carb sensitive and I have never really worked out just how many points 1 gram of sugar will raise her, but I have seen 3 tabs raise her 100 points. BTW, she only weighs 35 lbs.

12. 3kidlets

3kidlets Approved members

1 tab = 4carbs = about 30 pts. for Hana. This hasn't changed in the 18 months that she has had D.

13. Jacob'sDad

Jacob'sDad Approved members

For Jacob it's about 28 points per glucose tab. Three would bring him up 85 points and it would do it pretty quickly IF and only IF he were not still dropping at the time he took the tabs. !5 minutes would be on the very short end of how fast he would come up. He would come up part way in 15 minutes but I think it would take 1/2 hour to come all the way up.

To the OP: My guess is that the first BG check was off and since there is no info given after the 15 minute BG check we don't know how much he came up in 1/2 hour. If the first check was off we don't know anyway.

14. emm142

emm142 Approved members

1g raises my BG around 10pts, so three 4g tabs would raise my BG around 120pts. It wouldn't go up that much in 15 minutes, though. My peak from tabs would usually be at around 30 minutes after eating them.

15. obtainedmist

obtainedmist Approved members

In the Pumping Insulin book by Walsh, there is a chart (page 191) that shows how much 1 gram may raise the bg based on weight. So, as the kids grow and get heavier, the amount of carbs needed to treat a low should, in theory, decrease according to his chart.

50 lbs (23 kg)--1 gram will raise 8 mg/dl (.44mmol)
    75 lbs (34 kg)-- 7 (.39)
    90 lbs (41 kg)-- 6 (.33)
    120 (55 kg)-- 5 (.28)
    160 (73 kg)-- 4 (.22)
    200 (91 kg)-- 3 (.17)

Since dx Molly has been at around 1 gram to 5 mg/dl raise.