- advertisement -

How has T1D affected your child's diet?

Discussion in 'Parents of Children with Type 1' started by DavidN, Dec 7, 2012.

1. DavidN

DavidN Approved members

On a scale of 1-10 (1 being not at all and 10 an absolute complete and radical makeover) how has your child having T1D affected what you feed him/her? Along with the rating please give a little commentary. If your child was dx at a very young age, how different do you think his/her diet is vs what you think it would be if he/her did not have T1D?

We are five months post dx and our diet change is about a 2.5 on my scale. Not much has changed really other than we eat fewer desserts (maybe 2 a week) and there is not as much snacking in between meals. And we don't eat out as often, particularly for dinner. Other than that, he pretty much eats the way he ate pre dx.

2. tiger7lady

tiger7lady Approved members

I'm probably right there with you at a 2.5. I don't think we eat out as much and I buy the veggie juice that is about 1/2 the carbs as regular juice (still have normal juice for lows) but that's about it. We only did dessert on special occasions and there was already rules in place for snacking so that didn't really change with D. If anything, now that my son is entering puberty he has become an eating machine and snacks more now than he did when he was dx at 9 - completely unrelated to D.

3. Debdebdebby13

Debdebdebby13 Approved members

Around a 2. She rarely drank soda before, and occasionally juice. Now if she gets soda, it's always diet and juice is pretty much only for treating lows. That is the only kind of sugar we avoid. The only other changes we've made are to have more low carb snacks on hand, which were things we really didn't think of before. I mean before if she wanted a snack, I didn't think anything of fruit, or crackers or whatever. We've always fed her a healthy diet, but now we think a lot more about what to feed her if her blood sugar is higher than we'd like, so there are more cheese sticks, pickles, sugar free jello and she's tried many more green veggies than she did before so she has more low carb snacks.

But in our day to day, not a whole lot has changed. She eats when she's hungry and she gets plenty of treats :) (within reason of course, we don't limit because of D, we limit as much as any other parent does.)

4. mmgirls

mmgirls Approved members

I would say a 2 also, she was dx at 13 months and she was my first. We eat out and order in. The only thing that I limit is regular sodas and juices. She eats portions smaller thanothers her age but I think that is more her normal, I guess sometimes I may limit/stop her from having "too much" because I am afraid she we will go low or get a tummy ache. Regular kid I might have let her eat till she was sick, but with insulin going I try to not let her push that limit?

5. JNBryant

JNBryant Approved members

I think I'm around a 2 also. Before my son was dx'd at the age of 2, he ate a lot, but not that much more than he's eating now. We still go out to eat sometimes and order in maybe two to three times a month. The only things I've really changed are the things that he drinks. Instead of regular fruit juice, we buy the diet v8 splash juice which has only 3g of carbs per serving. If he wants a soda (which isn't very often), he can have a diet soda every now and then. The only thing we've had to really restrict is rice because it just throws his numbers for a loop. We do try to push free foods as snacks instead of the usual crackers or chips, and so far he's ok with it. Aside from that, he eats like he normally did before he was dx'd.

6. Beach bum

Beach bum Approved members

I'd say a 2. If anything, I'd say it's helped us stay on track for watching what/how we eat. After 7 years we've learned moderation is the key to a healthy diet and to successful management of diabetes.

We don't restrict, but we think twice about things. Chinese food is one that we look at each other and say "is it really worth it?" We'll be up all night chasing numbers. Sometimes we have success in dosing, other times, what a nightmare!

7. wilf

wilf Approved members

I'd say about a 5 over 6 years. Overall we're eating healthier, lower glycemic index foods..

8. Lee

Lee Approved members

Heck - I am going to say 10! Feeding two juice boxes, 4 cookies, and peanut butter with chocolate milk between the hours of midnight to 3 is a pretty big change!

While her day to day diet didn't change, she does probably get carbs, carbs that she wouldn't have had before, a few times a week. Sometimes it is 14 carbs, and sometimes it is 100. To me, that is a great big change in diet.

Last edited: Dec 8, 2012
  9. Mommy For Life

Mommy For Life Approved members

On a scale of 1-10....we're a 2. I'd say not much has changed diet wise here. We ate healthy before dx and still continue to do so. We have a few tricky foods that give us bg grief like quesadillas and rice from our favorite Mexican take-out restaurant Chipoltle. I haven't really limited foods, but juice and sodas are hard to bolus for so I just haven't served them. I have noticed some meals are better on bg #s when served for lunch then at dinner. DD's numbers crank up as soon as she sleeps. :cwds:

10. cdninct

cdninct Approved members

This made me snort!

I'm in that 2-2.5 range, too. I think it might affect our timing more than the composition of what we eat. K grazes less than he used to, so meals, and more especially snacks, are more timed out. There are also those times when meals are revamped or rescheduled because of highs, or when sugar is pumped in to treat lows--so often between 12 and 3 am!

11. nebby3

nebby3 Approved members

I'd say somewhere in the middle--maybe a 5. It is hard to judge since she was so young at dx. We do do a lot of snacks--chips, ice cream etc. But we tend to have not too high carb dinners and breakfasts since those meals seem to affect her the most. I also tend to make carbs separate from other things at dinner. No casseroles for instance since they make it harder to count or limit carbs. We don't drink juice except for lows.

D has had other affects in a weird way. I think having a child with D made me more willing to question doctors and their very traditional advice so when my other kids have developed health issues (bad eczema in one; a headache that lasted 2 years in another) I was more willing to look at alternative solutions. The result is that now my other 3 kida are gluten-free and one is also off dairy and soy. So those things have affected all our diets to some extent.

So maybe I should rate it at more than a 5 . . . but a lot of it is the very indirect influence of D.

12. LoveMyHounds

LoveMyHounds Approved members

No more chinese buffet :D

13. Beach bum

Beach bum Approved members

Ya, this is so true.
    There's nothing normal about a kid sucking down a tube of gel in bed:eek:

14. steph

steph Approved members

When DD was first DXed I bought pork rinds and juice boxes for the first time. And now Smarties. I never thought I would be giving that stuff to my toddler. Oh, and squirting honey into her mouth in the middle of the night. We get a lower Carb high fiber bread now that we all eat and like. And not as much crackers for snacks. Other than that, its the same. So maybe a 3. The diet didn't change much, but how we serve it with the weighing and measuring was a big change.

15. sugarmonkey

sugarmonkey Approved members

Maybe a 3. For us the biggest change was for hypo treatments. We never had candy in the house before D (couldn't afford it), and Phillip had never had juice or soda before. Having those sorts of things have been a big change for us. Our general diet hasn't changed at all really, it was always fairly healthy.

16. nanhsot

nanhsot Approved members

I think this is a very difficult question to answer. There are elements that have gone down, and elements that have much improved. As others have said, there are now skittles in abundant supply and he's never without a source of sugar in his pocket, clearly that goes in the negative column. I never used to buy sodas at all, but regularly stock diet ones now. After diagnosis things went particularly bad with a home stocked with pork skins!

But all in all diabetes has made him reevaluate many foods and avoid them (voluntarily) like pizza and doritos. He eats them on very rare occasions now and almost always regrets it. The other day I was going to the store and he texted me that he NEEDED 2 bags of Doritos...2 days later he told me "next time I tell you that, say NO"! LOL, he enjoys eating them but finds that things like that are simply not worth it, both for how he feels and how his blood sugar reacts. He eats things like oatmeal, whole wheat pasta, lean meats, etc more. We've never been a fast food family but now he in particular shys away, which is a rare thing in a teenager. I've always home baked treats like cookies and such but I don't do that nearly as much as I used to, just prefer not to have it on hand for any of us. I think that diabetes has taught all of us about how our bodies respond to foods, watching what happens on cgm after eating cereal made me realize that is a food that none of us need, for example, and I generally buy the kashi brand now that doesn't spike him. I switched to almond milk primarily (for baking, none of us drink milk), though he has a horrible chocolate milk (high proten, non dairy, local brand, low carb) habit!

We've always had a fairly healthy diet, but with enough leniency to make life fun, so home baked breads, no fast food, lots of fruit and veggies is the norm but the pantry has plenty of goldfish too. I do think I've added more low GI foods to the kids' diets, they've always been important in my own. I am finding that RIGHT NOW, with working too much and kids busy lives that we are relying on easy foods right now which is a negative.

Overall I'd give it a 2 I guess.