advertisement

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

How has T1 affected mom and dad (family) health?

Discussion in 'Parents of Children with Type 1' started by tonnia, May 21, 2012.

1. tonnia

tonnia Approved members

My 14 YO daughter was diagnosed 06/11 so we are almost to the year mark. she is doing great. Went on to pumping mm in Dec and got a CGM sensor last month. DD takes on so much of her care that I am in awe of her. I have never inserted a site, only gave 2 shots but have had to insert sensors in the back of her arms. When she figures out how to do that on her on I am sure she will fire me. ;)
    I am just curious about how diabetes has affected other T1 families.
    Example: I don't sleep well, even when I sleep I feel like I am never rested when I wake up. For the last 6 months I have also "suffered" from itching in the middle of the night. Different areas of the body, not every night. Never a rash or an itch during the day. I believe it is from stress. I have become more organized than I ever dreamed possible though. DH does a good job with DD when I am not availible but then he mostly asks her what her numbers are and that sort of stuff. He does not exhibit any stress symptoms.
    Any suggestions on how to heal me?

2. Christopher

Christopher Approved members

You may want to start by trying to identify what exactly you are stressed about. I am not seeing anything in your post that indicates it is related to diabetes.

3. pianoplayer4

pianoplayer4 Approved members

lol, when I read this post I almost went down stairs and asked my mom if she wrote it=)

i'm 17 and was dx at almost 15, I went on the pump 6 months in and started the dex a month ago. I'm like your daughter, I like to do it all myself=) though when I do arm site for sensors mama has to do them.

My mom's health hasn't been so great since I was dx either, but I think for her all those sleepless nights weakened her immune system and she just kinda catches everything=(

btw, even if your dd is 'doing' all the work, your still helping her, I've had to do without my mom for a bit (while she was sick) and let me tell its much harder without someone by your side=(

4. Turtle1605

Turtle1605 Approved members

I am now having panic attacks. They are slowly getting better as time goes on though.

I also had a hypoglycemia episode a couple of months after my son was diagnosed. I was completely shocked because I had never experienced one of those before. I actually have met two other mothers who did the same thing after their children were diagnosed.

I think the combination of stress, worry, lack of sleep, and other things do take a toll on us after a while and your body eventually just says "that's enough." It is very hard on me as I have always had strong mind and strong body, with no health issues at all and now I feel like I'm falling apart.

5. Sarah Maddie's Mom

Sarah Maddie's Mom Approved members

Well... you have a 25 year old so I'll hazard a guess that the sleeplessness and itching could as easily be menopause as D stress.:cool: Maybe it's worth asking your doc?

6. emm142

emm142 Approved members

I know my mum didn't sleep well for ~6 months after I was diagnosed - she was very anxious about D back then. But after that point and since I was dealing well with things myself, I don't think she's been particularly stressed about D.

7. MomofSweetOne

MomofSweetOne Approved members

We just went through a rough 3 weeks that started with medication changing BGs. Lots of multiple alarm nights for either highs or lows. I got to a point the exhaustion was overwhelming. I was dizzy whenever I stood, which I knew meant my adrenals were feeling the stress. I've also been feeling blood sugar swings, etc. that also indicate my adrenals have been under great stress. Fortunately, her BGs have calmed down and I've slowed down to get more rest. Diabetes is definitely hard on my health. I only have to look in the mirror to know I've aged years in the last 21 months.

8. ladybuglacy

ladybuglacy New Member

:( right there with you

We have only been on this diabetes journey for just under two months. My anxiety is through the roof and I get itchy from extended periods of stress too. I'm sleep deprived, worried, frustrated, and overwhelmed. BUT, I am HAPPY to do it... why? Because my 4 year old isn't sleep deprived, worried, frustrated or overwhelmed. I'm doing it for him. I'm living it for him and I'm SO thankful that I can do that for him.

When I got divorced a few years ago, my doctor gave me xanax for panicky times. I have a Rx for them but am petrified to use them because I feel like my mind needs to be ON THE BALL day or night, ready to jump in and rescue my baby if he needs me. If your daughter is old enough to recognize her symptoms and treat on her own, get some xanax... it will help you sleep. Taking it at bedtime is the least addictive way to take it.

9. tonnia

tonnia Approved members

I had my annual gyn exam recently and my doc doesn't think it is my hormones (yet) and just really acted like I was a complainer and she didn't really know what it was. So I left it alone.
    Thanks ladies for the input. I know I am not alone dealing with T1 but now I know that me having sleep issues and itching is not just me being weird. Maybe when school lets out life will slow down a touch and my symptoms will improve.
    Thanks PianoPlayer4 your comment touched a place in my heart

10. 3kidlets

3kidlets Approved members

When I've had times of high stress, I itch all over as well. It keeps me up at night. When things calm down, it goes away.

11. Connor's Mom

Connor's Mom Approved members

I thought I was the only one itching at night when the stress finally gets to me. I have had hypo episodes but, I have Hashimoto's and my Endo has said it could be related to that. I rarely sleep enough to feel rested.

12. MamaLibby

MamaLibby Approved members

The lack of sleep hasn't been at all kind to my health. Between somebody needing me every night I don't sleep much, sometimes hardly at all. or I'm up at night worrying (not always about d...maybe about Evans, asthma, bipolar, schooling,$$$...you get the picture) I'm a worrier in a way that I wasn't before dx, and that has worsened with more kids and more problems. I also have chronic tension headaches.
    I know I should take better care of myself, but it's worth it for these kiddos.

13. Joretta

Joretta Approved members

We are 2 and half years in and my health is not going great. My vitamin d levels are non existent unless I take a prescription dose twice a weak. If I was any more tired I would never be able to get up. At one point I went borderline diabetic but that corrected when I got her through a second illness of high stress. I do itch at night too, but only when stress is high. My itching though did not alarm me, as I was stressed during my pregnancy and I had extreme itching in the crease of both arms and eventually developed small spot of exema on both arms.

14. lynn

lynn Approved members

I learned something new today---LIFE is what makes me wake up scratching the flesh off of my legs!

15. Hudson_Rocks

Hudson_Rocks Approved members

This was actually my thought as well. Fatigue/insomnia are one of the "signs" of perimenopause/menopause. I've been blaming kids and such, but it's more like I need to blame the fact that I'll be 43 in a couple of months ;)

16. emm142

emm142 Approved members

Also, I just wanted to say, you might want to keep quiet about how D has affected your health in front of your D kid. The period of time after I was diagnosed was hard enough for me, and I felt a lot of guilt whenever my dad told me how my mum couldn't sleep because she was worried etc.

17. tonnia

tonnia Approved members

Emm142 good advice. I have not mentioned that I think my itching is due to stress over D in front of dd. She is so on top of her D that she would probably look at me like I had lost my mind. She is an awesome young lady.

Okay, so I am really, really not alone in the itching thing...and it sure could be some hormone related stuff also.

18. minniem

minniem Approved members

Thanks, Emma, for reminding me of this...so often I complain of being tired and not feeling well and I need to remember not to say this in front of DS. Sometimes being so tired and worn down, I forget.

Thank you for putting it in a new perspective for me.:cwds:

19. LJM

LJM Approved members

Overall, the stress did cause some initial weight loss, etc. However, for the most part---I think his diagnosis caused me to seriously evaluate my own habits and improve my health---. In short, it gave me the motivation to care for myself so that I could be around there for him---long term.

Love of our kids is a great motivator to care for ourselves too.

20. sisterbeth43

sisterbeth43 Approved members

My dd was 13 when she was dx'd. I only gave her shots when she needed a correction during the night or when she was sick. She went on the pump a yr after diagnosis and I never put a pump site in her or handled her pump. But in one way it had a positive effect on my health. I was already type 2 and not taking the best care of myself. After she was dx'd, I started really taking care of myself D wise and now my A1c is 5.5 and holding steady. She is now 27.