- advertisement -

How has a CGM changed your nighttime routine?

Discussion in 'Parents of Children with Type 1' started by DavidN, Feb 18, 2013.

1. DavidN

DavidN Approved members

Nights are tough and I'm just wondering what impact a CGM has had on most parents nighttime routine.
    - Have any die-hard night testers given up night tests or reduced them?
    - Do you test less frequently?
    - Does it simply give you more peace of mind?
    - Maybe you awake more because of the alarming?

Just wondering. Thanks.

2. cdninct

cdninct Approved members

It really varies from night to night. Things did not go well last night, and I tested at least 5 times even with the CGM because I sometimes correct an impending low based on the CGM but I will not correct a night-time high based on its readings.

On the other hand, I can often check at 12 and skip the 3am check if all is well. More often than not, I get up at 3 to look at the CGM, but I don't actually do a finger stick; it is less disruptive to everyone's sleep that way. Sometimes, though, I check at midnight then count on the CGM to alarm if things go south.

It might help a bit with amount of sleep, but it really make a difference to my quality of sleep!

3. minniem

minniem Approved members

Using the CGM has given me better quality sleep. I used to get up 1-2x/night, every night to check my son because he doesn't usually wake up from his lows. Now, with the CGM I check before he goes to sleep and if all is well, I rely on the alarm to wake me if something is amiss. Sometimes it alarms a lot and sometimes the alarms are real and sometimes not (i.e.: a false low because he is lying on the sensor, or he rolled on his pump causing a weak signal), and at times you want to turn it off but overall we wouldn't go without it. Every time it catches a real low, I am so thankful we have it.

For me personally, I have gotten a lot better quality sleep because of it. I wouldn't want to go without it even for a night. It has really improved our quality of life of living with diabetes.

4. hawkeyegirl

hawkeyegirl Approved members

1. Yes, CGM has allowed us to reduce nighttime testing. More to the point - we do SMARTER nighttime testing.

2. Absent very unusual circumstances, I do not check at night after I go to bed unless the CGM alarms. Sometimes that means zero checks, sometimes that means 5 checks.

3. Yes, I sleep much, much, much better than without it. It has saved my sanity.

5. ecs1516

ecs1516 Approved members

I only get up if the CGM alarms now, that is after I know it is calibrated and working well

6. MomofSweetOne

MomofSweetOne Approved members

I set an alarm once per night, per our endo team's directions, but if I've responded to a CGM alarm within an hour or so, I turn it off. I sleep much better between alarms, but I'm still awakened often. But, I would far prefer to be wakened to a low than find my daughter seizing or worse. A couple nights ago, I got a 6 hour stretch.

7. TheLegoRef

TheLegoRef Approved members

- Have any die-hard night testers given up night tests or reduced them?
    We weren't "die-hard night testers", but we did regularly test. If we trust the sensor, I don't check unless the MySentry alarms low or high.
    - Do you test less frequently?
    We probably check more often than before the cgm, but like hawkeyegirl said, it is smarter testing.
    - Does it simply give you more peace of mind?
    I sleep so much better now. I am able to sleep for longer periods of time, because I don't wake up worrying. I know the MySentry will scream in my ear if there is a low or a high.
    - Maybe you awake more because of the alarming?
    Depends on the night. I'd say overall, my sleep averages out to be the same. But it's better sleep. Some nights, it's nearly perfect, and I only wake up once around 3am just because I haven't woken up yet, and my brain worries. But then other nights, we might wake up 4-5 times chasing highs and doing site changes, or chasing lows and eating a lot, or silencing weak signals.

We catch more lows, and I am able to catch highs before breakfast, so he doesn't spike after breakfast. Like on school days, he tests/corrects at 6, but if I wake up and notice he is over 175 around 5am, I'll test and correct so he's more in range by breakfast.

I would not trade it for anything. One evening, DS's sensor stopped working, and we decided just to pull it and put a new one in in the morning. I had the worst sleep, without the MySentry to help me out. DS was like 280 in the AM, and then spiked after breakfast. His site had stopped working, and we didn't know that, because we didn't see the climb without the cgm.

8. Megnyc

Megnyc Approved members

From a college-aged CGM user......

1. My parents tested me every 2 hours when I lived at home. And still do during the 2-3 weeks a year I am home. I now test and calibrate before bed and at 6 am. In between I don't test unless the CGM beeps.

2. Maybe? It depends on the night. Sometimes I have stubborn lows and test 8 times while trying to get my blood sugar up. I can't rely on the cgm for that because it has a lag time after lows. I correct highs based on it though usually without testing initially but I will test later if it alarms that I have a high rate of change or am going low. I probably get 1 night every 2 weeks with no alarms.

3. Yep! I feel totally safe at night. I really have no concerns about lows. I know the CGM will alert me if there is a problem while it is still really easy to fix.

4. Perhaps I am awakened more but I imagine the quality of sleep I am getting is better since my blood sugar is kept in a decent range and I feel very safe.

9. Ali

Ali Approved members

As an adult I agree 100 percent with Megnycs' post. Your sleep quality as others have said is way way better with a CGMS. Plus you can actually set your BG to run higher and never have an alarm but not wake up so high that it is an issue. So if i want to be sure I do not have to get up I eat some food so I know I will be above 100 the whole night but the CGMS will alarm if I get up above 160 or below 70 which can make mornings more difficult. Remember I am speaking as an adult, if I was a kid the numbers would be much different. With a CGMS you are able to run so much better numbers all 24 hours, that you can decide when to worry more about the lows and more the highs and set what levels you want. I adjust based on what I am doing, sleep needs, psychological needs, etc. :cwds::cwds:Ali

10. maciasfamily

maciasfamily Approved members

We never get up unless the CGM alarms us. Last night I was up too often with highs. Ugh!

11. pianoplayer4

pianoplayer4 Approved members

I didnt have to time toread all of the replies... So sorry if this is repeat!

Im a teen with diabetes and the dexcom has change my nightime situation radically:) before cgm I had to test an hour or so before I was planning to actually go to sleep, then at least once more... Usually twice! I was going low almost every nigt, but I didnt know how fast I was dropping so I was either up for hours trying to bring a low up but not eating enough carbs or over treating a small low, and up all night trying to bring myself back down... It was rediculous!

Now with the dxcom, I check it (all the time!) as im waling up the stairs.... if im at a decent number I just get ready for bed... If not I can treat acuratly before im ready to sleeo. i still have touble with lows at nigt, but not nearly as bad as before because I get more of the picture.

I honestly only set and alarm to check when Ive been over 250 because I want to make sure that comes down... But other wise the dex wakes me up:) maybe once a night or so?

12. DavidN

DavidN Approved members

Thanks for the response. Do you mind me asking what alarms wake you up so often? I'm guessing you have your target range fairly tight?

We are taking baby steps. Last night was our first night and I can already tell this is going to make a BIG difference. low/high alarms were set at 100 and 250. I checked once at 2am and he was 150, but knowing that it wasn't a falling 150 was very helpful.

The range wasn't as good as I had hoped. The Dexcom literature says 20 feet, but others on this site have said they get much better reception, including throughout their house. I tried the unit in my bedroom, just down the hall from my son, but no luck. I was able to put it in the hallway just outside his door (roughly 25 feet to his bed) and had only a few missed readings during the night.

13. hawkeyegirl

hawkeyegirl Approved members

I'd say we get one night a week on average with no alarms, but it seems to go in spurts. We'll get a few days in a row with no alarms, and then a few weeks with at least one alarm every night. Our nighttime range is 80-140. If we wanted fewer alarms, we could set the high alarm higher (and I do occasionally when I am exhausted). But generally speaking, nighttime is when I feel we have the best shot at keeping BG in range, and I think it contributes significantly to his a1cs.

14. Logansmom

Logansmom Approved members

I was a diehard tester, 11p and 230a every night. Until a few weeks after our G4. Now I test before I go to bed and wait for the inevitable beep. Some nights it beeps 5 times, some once. I test with every single beep unless it's within an hour of the last one and it was a high.

You will appreciate this. Last night I tested him at 1130, he was 142. I go to sleep. I wake up at 430 in a cold sweat. OMG is he OK, did it run out of batteries? I'm FREAKING OUT. Run in there he was 110 and fine. It was pretty funny.

15. Megnyc

Megnyc Approved members

Probably an even mix between high and low alarms and weak signal alarms. Usually I have my alarms set at anywhere from 100-200 if I am on call, 120-200 if I am working (on quiet shifts we try to sleep for a few hours), or 80-140 if I am home and with either my boyfriend or roommates. It is literally wake up, grab pump, and either bolus or have a sip of juice and roll back over and go to sleep. I would say I am awake less then 90 seconds for each alarm maybe two minutes if I confirm with a test.

16. BrendaK

BrendaK Neonatal Diabetes Registry

For us, the big difference was going from the 7+ to the G4. The G4 is much more accurate (peace of mind), alarms louder, and has a HUGE range allowing for it to be next to my bedside without ever losing a signal. So, yes, we sleep better, don't get up as much (have been able to more accurately set basals at night), and A1C has dropped since the G4.