- advertisement -

How does your tween carry supplies?

Discussion in 'Parents of Children with Type 1' started by Charmed7, Jun 3, 2012.

1. Charmed7

Charmed7 Approved members

My son has turned 13 on me!! He is used to carrying a shoulder bag that is bright green with soccer balls. We're very accustomed to carrying a calorie king book, a juice box, meter, insulin and two bottles of test strips (one is for discarded ones in case we don't have a garbage near by) etc.

Does anyone have any links for older boys to carry their supplies, or suggestions? I felt bad the other day we were at a school function for his younger sister and one of his girl friends walked by and he's got this little kid type bag around his neck. But I don't want to give up the items he carries every day when he leaves the house. And he doesn't want a carry by hand one. I was thinking something for his hip, but IDK. My other thought is a small messenger bag with a carry one inside of it... Ugh! I just don't know....

Any help is appreciated.

C7

2. Jenneve93

Jenneve93 Approved members

My ds will turn 13 in July. Right now he carries a small black backpack, but I've been thinking about switching to a messenger bag so that it doesn't look so much like he's carrying a kids' bag.

3. Sarah Maddie's Mom

Sarah Maddie's Mom Approved members

Maddie, who is not a girly girl, has had some cute bags from the army navy store. Your son might find some thing "cool" and "manly" there ;)

4. Joretta

Joretta Approved members

My daughter also dislikes girly girl and she is now 16 in 3 days. She hangs out with more boys. She carries a small backpack. I also work with kids and they see nothing wrong with a black or camo type backpack. Waist bags are not to cool more girlish or European. I know other boys simply wear cargo pants they hold a lot. My daughter wears cargo pants/shorts when she does not want to carry anything she would have to hold and remember. She does not carry calorie king as I upgraded her phone to Internet for carb counts from the site. She does carry a phone, Itouch music, epi pen, glucagon, meter, strips, juice box, pricker and other meds.

5. nanhsot

nanhsot Approved members

Teen, not a tween here, but he carries his meter and that's it, and he puts it in his pocket.

In his meter are extra batteries and candy (smarties are small and easily portable), one syringe. When he was on MDI he also carried a small frio pack with his insulin in it, with more syringes, also in his pocket. We keep glucose in every car, and truth be told, most places he goes to there is easy access to sugar, for example at work there is a soda machine.

For longer trips, like overnights or even a full day trip with friends I keep a bag packed that he can grab that has more insulin, calorie king, extra strips, etc. It's this one:

http://www.target.com/p/SwissGear-Mono-Sling-Black/-/A-11149390#?lnk=sc_qi_detaillink

6. caspi

caspi Approved members

7. Paula+four

Paula+four Approved members

8. jessicat

jessicat Approved members

we got a little tiny black backpack in the luggage section of walmart(they were still there this week) very basic and masculine enough that my hubby and son both will wear it. its just big enough for my son's meter, our little zip case that holds inslulin, syringe, glucagon , and juice/tabs and a snack. we too had to change from a child-like bag recently.

9. buckmarko

buckmarko Approved members

10. Heather(CA)

Heather(CA) Approved members

11. Amy C.

Amy C. Approved members

Since my son was in 9th grade, he carries his meter, pricker and strips (out of the case) in his pocket. In another pocket goes a vial of glucose tabs (much less space than a juice), his pump, plus a couple of pencils.

We saw no need to bring insulin when it is in his pump. (He keeps insulin at school.) The book would not be used as he guesses carbohydrates very well when needed. The used strips go back in his pocket.

The only issue was that when he added keys, the meter was severely scratched. I purchased the plastic film that goes on the pump for his meter. It doesn't quite fit, but is working pretty well.

12. Mrs. Russman

Mrs. Russman Approved members

Ben carries a sling backpack. He was given it, it has the logo of the local hospital.
    It's become a trend, now all of his friends seem to have a sling backpack they carry everywhere. He carries a bible, supplies for making paracord bracelets, all kinds of things not just meter and smarties, syringes, extra infusion site,

CDE who did his pump training said he should carry his glucagon everywhere.
    We keep it at home in the cabinet, and send it with him if he goes out of town or somewhere. But she had a point, it isn't going to do him a lot of good if it's at home and he loses consciousnesses at the park. so I think it will be added and I will show his closest friends.

13. Charmed7

Charmed7 Approved members

Thanks everyone! The one at LLBean and Amazon are exactly what I was looking for!! I did talk to him and he seems to like the idea.

Thanks again!

C7

14. Daddyto4

Daddyto4 Approved members

Backpack.
    Or messanger bag (the kind of backpack that goes from one shoulder to the opposite hip, ussually has some sort of release mechanism in the middle, mine uses simple velcro).
    Sorry I can't find a specific pic.

15. Stacey Nagel

Stacey Nagel Approved members