- advertisement -

How does your diabetes vary?

Discussion in 'Parents of Children with Type 1' started by bisous, May 16, 2014.

1. bisous

bisous Approved members

Reading the glucagon thread reminded me of how different diabetes presents itself in different kids. DS1 was diagnosed almost 8 years ago. He is 10, weighs 70 pounds and uses only about 25 units per day. The really weird thing about DS is how little insulin he seems to need for both meals and corrections. His I:C ratio for lunch has remained at 1:25 for YEARS now. What is even odder is his sensitivity is 175. He also drops like a rock during any kind of exercise.

What is unique about how your child's diabetes presents itself?

2. MomofSweetOne

MomofSweetOne Approved members

That excitement drops her BGs, so car rides away on trips make for ideal BGs despite inactivity whereas the return requires increased basal.

We have to reduce basal for camp week already the night before she goes.

3. ksartain

ksartain Approved members

Chris is 8 and somewhat similar to your son. His sugar is highly sensitive to activity. We have to carb load before ball games and check him after every inning or quarter or interval of whatever he's playing. If he's over 300 when he starts a physical activity, his sugar shoots up. If he's under 200, it plunges. He ran a lap around our track (1/4 mile), then sprinted 100 yards. He went from 191 to 35 during that time.

His basal is around 9 units a day right now. That varies depending on his activity level of the day. Breakfast is 1:15. Everything else is 1:20. Sensitivity is 175.

Mexican and Chinese food are impossibly hard to figure and no matter how close we think we are, he invariably hits 400 after he eats either of those. I guess it's the sodium that affects him? I have no idea. We only eat that on weekends so I can be up late pumping insulin into him.

When we travel (previous post reminded me), he stays high. I double his basal, change his I:C ratio, whatever I can do to get more in him and it is never enough.

4. cdninct

cdninct Approved members

When we visit my family (9-hour drive away, so only a few times a year), DS's BGs are sky-high the whole time, regardless of what we are doing/eating. When we visit my in-laws (9-hour drive away, but in another direction), his BGs are in the basement. I have no idea why, but it has happened consistently for 3.5 years, so I don't even wait and see any more--I set 24 hour temp basals as soon as we leave the house!

Nights are more variable than days for DS--two days back to back of identical activity and identical eating can yield one night fighting to stay above 80 and another of multiple corrections to get down from the mid-200s or higher. While most endos think that is weird or due to some setting being off, there is one in the practice that says that that's just the way it goes--with no bolus insulin on board, weird internal fluctuations are not masked the way they can be during the day. Let's just say that night checks are absolutely necessary around our house, and the Dex is indispensable!

5. valerie k

valerie k Approved members

well, matt has NEVER had a spike eating pizza, in fact, no matter how we try to under carb him, he always goes low after eating pizza. which seems to be one of the worst foods here for most people.

also, he is 15, and about 100 pounds. Since delightful puberty has taken over (lets NOT even start on the mood swings it has brought with it) his insulin needs have doubled. He used to use under 50 units a day, now, he uses about 100 daily. (that's both basal and bolus combined)

6. nebby3

nebby3 Approved members

My dd does best with way more basal than bolus insulin. Drives the DRs crazy cause it doesn't fit their model. Don't know if others have experienced this but since she got her first period a few months ago I think her bgs have been MORE stable.

7. Lisa - Aidan's mom

Lisa - Aidan's mom Approved members

DS's adrenaline highs make me crazy. They occur most from baseball. Last night after dinner and before his game started, his BG was 168. He only had water in the dugout. BG after game, before bed at 9:45 his BG was 435. I've learned not to correct these highs or he will crash. His morning BG today at 7:00 a.m.: 92.

8. MomofSweetOne

MomofSweetOne Approved members

Same thing here. 68% basal. Defies every chart in every book.

9. Lakeman

Lakeman Approved members

My daughter goes back and forth between being insulin sensitive and insensitive so we never know when she is going to take three hours or an extra correction to come into range or when she will go low after a meal that she has had a hundred times before.

10. shannong

shannong Approved members

My son's diabetes varies the most at night. There is rarely a night where the same basal level will keep his bg's in range. I feel like I have had a ton of sleep if the Dexcom has not alarmed me for 4 hours with either a high or a low. Also, when my son falls asleep his blood sugars can go from a perfect 100 to a 400 in an hour's time. Adrenaline spikes from hockey can do the same thing. There is just no insulin that can off-set how fast his blood sugars can rise in these situations.

11. missmakaliasmomma

missmakaliasmomma Approved members

Story of my life.. We can never have two days be the same no matter if every single variable was the same.
    Yes, I brag when I get 5 hours straight, which is rare.

12. Darryl

Darryl Approved members

Some nights insulin needs to be suspended for 3 or 4 hours, other nights it needs to be 3 or 4 units per hour. At least exercise is predictable, it always causes BG to go up, go down, or stay flat.

13. wearingtaci

wearingtaci Approved members

I know a lot of kids use less insulin in summer,but Sophie has needed more insulin in summer,even though she is far more active. Thanks to having Dexcom this winter we saw that simply walking from the house to the car,or from the car to the store can drop her 70 points or more in cold weather

14. mmgirls

mmgirls Approved members

My dd uses less insulin in summer but she is having a tone of uncovered carbs, it just works out well, and can not seem to get the same rhythm in any other time of the year.

Is my dd gets a chill, goosebumps, she drops like CRAZY. I have a saying in my house, I would rather you sweat than be cold, because if you get too cold your will drop and be out of the sctivitiy.

15. dpr

dpr Approved members

Another one of those here. My daughter runs 75%-80% basal. Her evening sensitivity is 600 and lunch ratio is 110 to 1. Non of it makes sense, but it works for her. Back when I used to listen to our endo, every time I went with one of his changes it screwed up everything. Now he just looks at me like I'm crazy, shakes his head and says, ok. They just don't seem to be able to relate to out of the box diabetics.