- advertisement -

How does your child act while high?

Discussion in 'Parents of Children with Type 1' started by nanhsot, Jan 9, 2011.

1. MissEmi

MissEmi Approved members

I usually just have this "high" feeling. There's no other way to explain it, I just feel...HIGH. Lately though, I've been VERY hypersensitive. I had 2 full weeks and a few more days of absolutely beautiful BGs, which is the first time something like that has happened to me, I'm talking like 1 BG over 190 and I think 2 slight lows. Since then, I've been thirsty, exhausted, hungry, and MAD when I'm high.

2. SarahKelly

SarahKelly Approved members

When DS is high he's like most of you explained cranky, unable to cooperate, needs extra cuddles, screams a lot, tired, screams a lot, thirsty, screams a lot, and says he's STAARRRVVVIIINNNGG while he's screaming a lot.
    DH is just grumpy and tired when high.
    High = no fun!
    I won't ever forget my husband saying to me with the most honest face after Isaac was diagnosed and we were dealing with terrible behavior and stubborn highs, "Being high is like being hit in the head with a 2x4 while you're starving and tired. I'd rather have a low than a high any day." Ummm, okay. So, I keep that in mind when the behavior is awful that no matter how tough it feels to deal with it for me it's even worse for them. That said I don't allow it as an excuse for unkind behavior, ever. I'll ask my husband to check, get a drink and come back when he's feeling better. I'll tell my son, " you may be high, you may be low, but you may not be unkind." Together we work it out though :)

3. mandapanda1980

mandapanda1980 Approved members

Love this! Picturing the 2x4 makes me understand on a whole new level! And your saying is just great. I may steal it ;)

4. mamamccoy87

mamamccoy87 Approved members

LOVE IT !!! I need to soo keep that in mind. we have really been struggling with highs lately - 300 to 400s - cranking up basals, getting tested for celiac.
    Grace has missed alot of school and trying to make up homework. NOT been fun!! It is really affecting our homelife. Crying, screaming, being mean, hitting - and we're not even a teenager!!:( Makes me want to cry. I wish I could feel how Grace feels for a week - so I would know how she feels - how it feels to have someone poke you in the middle of the night, to have this disease control how you feel and rob you of your time.

And I too love your saying - you may not be unkind. We can all learn alot from that.

5. VinceysMom

VinceysMom Approved members

We find this happens with Vince, too. Just will not stop, very argumentative and could be disrespectful.:( He was 300 last night at bed time, which is very unusual for him, and I would not have known (had we not checked him before bed) because he didnt have ANY of the signs like this, tho he did have 3 glasses water and he never likes to drink water...

When he is low, he is just starving and very weak, not mouthy, etc. Complete opposite.

Last edited: Jan 10, 2011
  6. manda81

manda81 Approved members

Angry
    Whiny
    Restless (If he is asleep, he will be flipping around in his bed unable to get comfortable is the best way I can explain it.)

7. Our3girls

Our3girls Approved members

DD is pretty good with highs if they do not last long- typically. If she is stuck in the high 200's plus we revert to oh 3 years old. She describes it as shakey, irritating and a loss of control of her body. I think how she describes it as being drunk. Many like that feeling, but I cannot stand the feeling (so I don't drink) and I have gotten flustered because I feel like I am loosing control of my thoughts and body motion. I try to give grace during these times because she is irritable because she cannot change how she is feeling. Of course no hitting or complete loss of control is ok but she gets whinny and clingy normally.
    Someone said homework is difficult, oh boy it is like impossible. Especially if she was high most of the day :eek: I have had to write a letter to the teacher asking for an additional day because I was not choosing that battle.
    Someone else said restless. When hormones hit we say stuck highs and I could hear her in there tossing and turning. Such a helpless feeling.
    I know our dd recovers from lows very well but highs throw her for a loop. My friends 12 year old recovers from highs much better but lows whip her out for a bit. Another YDMV!!

8. Brookiesworld

Brookiesworld Approved members

this may sound strange but one thing we have noticed with our daughter is when she is high her voice changes she normally has kind of a gruff voice and when her bs is high her voice is higher, i dont know if it has anything to with being high or not but something we have been noticing. has anyone else seen changes like this?

9. liasmommy2000

liasmommy2000 Approved members

Depends on how high, how long etc. We don't see much difference in the 200-300 range. But above that she can get really cranky. Whining, crying, talking back etc. Almost like toddler temper tantrums without the kicking and running away lol.

10. 4monkeez

4monkeez Approved members

My son is the same as a lot of other posts...gets fidgety and emotional when high...cranky and gray when low.
    I have to say though, I had a good chuckle over the title of this post...never in my life did I think "how does your child act when high?" would apply to me :cool:...funny what makes me laugh these day...maybe beacuse I haven't slept in FIVE MONTHS!!!!

11. cmshehade

cmshehade New Member

I can ALWAYS tell when my son is high, his personality is totally different. He becomes easily irritated and acts kind of crazy.

12. Connor's Mom

Connor's Mom Approved members

Agitated
    Combative
    Rude
    Disrespectful

He is completely different than when he is "normal". It's like Jeckle and Hyde.

13. mom24grlz

mom24grlz Approved members

Right now i don't really see a mood change when she's high. However shortly after dx whenever she'd go high she'd get really moody. Start crying at the littlest things, get agitated at simple situations.

14. ChristineJ

ChristineJ Approved members

This. Exactly. :(

Christine

15. pabiabi

pabiabi Approved members

This is EXACTLY what happens in our house.

I have a previous thread started on this issue, but my 12 year old Riley goes thru the roof when anyone suggests that she is high.

The great irony is that it is crystal clear to everyone in the house except for her.

16. pabiabi

pabiabi Approved members

Nancy

I know you responded on my thread regarding this issue- thank you!

I know what you mean about trying to separate "normal teenage-ness" from behavior caused by being high.

I suppose I have a slight advantage in that Riley is the youngest of four. I have a daughter who will soon be 21 and two other kids ages 15 and 17 right now. We have BEEN though regular teenageness in this house. ANd while I fully realize that each kid can and will be different- Riley has always been our EASY one!

You just have to know your kid I guess. I am 100% confident that Riley when high is not the "real Riley"- which is why it has been so hard for me to dish out discipline for behavior that isn't really her.

17. Jake'sMama

Jake'sMama Approved members

we're dealing with a high right now and he's definitely argumentative, disrespectful and now that there is a consequence of not being able to read before bed, sad.

I try to cut some slack but it's not excused either.

18. Williamsville mommy

Williamsville mommy Approved members

That's exactly how I know my daughter is high... Unable to sleep well, exactly........

19. danielsmom

danielsmom Approved members

Well just yesterday after baseball practice Daniel had a fit about whatever it was he was upset about,this is not the first time after practice he's gotten this way since he will shooot up above 300. But I was getting mad and it was time to check him for dinner and I yelled he better be high or he was getting a whooping. He was180! Lol, so he just got a scolding...Prior to D, daniel was already strong willed and opinionated...When he is high I have noticed he can lose it a little more easily, but mainly he gets emotional and cries..

20. Beach bum

Beach bum Approved members

For a sports spike or meal spike, we don't see any behavior issues, nor does she say she feels it. Illness or lack of insulin high, she does feel it and she is restless, tired, irritable, emotional. As another poster said, she also gets this "hi" feeling. She can't explain it, but she says she feels hi, but without all the emotions, feelings that go with it. We will test her, but it's usually she's around 150-180. Don't know if it's that she might be going hi, coming off a spike, but as of yet, we haven't caught the culprit.

Oh and to tie this to another post. In regards to discipline, we will always wait until the hi has blown over, and then we will discipline. She's gotten a lot better, and has even taken care of it on her own, apologizing to us and saying she knew she was wrong, her bg's are what caused her to be mean, and that she knows it's not an excuse, it is an explanation of why she acted the way she did. We will discipline based on how bad the situation was, but it's usually go chill in your room for a while with no electronics, no reading in bed. We are a little soft in this department:)