- advertisement -

How do you?

Discussion in 'Parents of Children with Type 1' started by new d dad, Jun 13, 2010.

1. StillMamamia

StillMamamia Approved members

Inject ease. That's the thing I was talking about. Ask your endo about it.

2. Sarah Maddie's Mom

Sarah Maddie's Mom Approved members

Though my child was 4 at dx, I can only imagine how weird and strange it is, from a young child's perspective, for mom and dad to suddenly be poking and injecting them all of a sudden.

You just have to be patient and firm, while setting up rituals that can help your child accept the inevitability of these pokes and jabs. Routines help a lot - and not letting it get dragged out which just adds to everyone's anxiety. The inject-ease is a great tool. It hides the needle and allows the parent to inject the needle by pressing a spring loaded button, so it's easier all around.

He's only two, try not to forget that.:cwds:

Good luck!

3. KHM

KHM Approved members

Welcome to this community that we all regret to which we all regret membership. But we do enjoy each other and find much support--I hope you will as well.

Lots of good thoughts here. Diagnosed at two must be tough. I will echo all those who said there is no reason to deny treats. But I would qualify by saying there are times when its easier than others to accommodate treats. But there are also LOTS of treats that are completely D-friendly so your family should be able to provide lots of food excitement for your son.

Be sure to give yourselves some breaks, too---there's so much to learn, its going to take a long time to really understand it all. Your son will benefit from any changes in a positive direction at this point. Our daughter gained ten pounds (20% of her current body weight) within three weeks of diagnosis---all the while her blood glucose was more often in the 300 range than the 100's. And our first post-dx A1c was down from 11.9% to 7.1%. I wish you guys the best of luck!

4. Lisa P.

Lisa P. Approved members

Jacob'sdad made a good comparison once -- brushing tangled hair. Now, I don't brush tangled hair six to 20 times a day. :eek::( But when it comes to understanding, it's kind of the same thing. It hurts. A two year old will NOT be able to understand why hair must be brushed, be able to see what will happen if it never gets brushed, etc. He does it because mom and dad say to. He probably kicks if he doesn't like it. After finding that, over and over again, no matter the protest, he's going to have to get it done anyway, the protesting dies off.

Also, there's a feedback with endorphins, etc. so that the pain really does, for some, get to be less after many pokes and shots.

5. Becky Stevens mom

Becky Stevens mom Approved members

Hello and welcome:cwds: Im so sorry about your little ones diagnosis. My son was a little over 3 when he was diagnosed. He quickly developed needle phobia. Some things that I did to help make it better was to give him a syringe with the needle broken off to give me and the rest of the family and his stuffed animals our insulin. I also poked myself with a needle several times in front of Steven. I think that was the most powerful thing that I did. He watched me very carefully as I calmly poked the needle into my thigh. I looked up after and said that it was ok that I would always try to be careful and not hurt him. Another thing I did was called "The magic spray" I had a water spray bottle and right after injections i'd give the area a quick spray.

The eating issue is difficult for little folk, they feel hungry and want something to eat. Quite often just a little taste of something will be enough. 1 saltine cracker has only 2 carbs, Teddy grahams are about 1/2 carb a piece so maybe a few of those will fit the bill. Many people on here with little ones get them on pumps rather quickly so that they can eat more often without more needle pokes

6. goochgirl

goochgirl Approved members

Welcome to the board. I'm very sorry to hear you had to join us. My son was diagnosed at 22 months old; his 2 year diaversary will be next week. I remember how difficult it was at the beginning; and the feeling of being alone. Joining this forum was the best thing I did!! One of the things that helped me the most was being able to talk to another parent of a child my son's age. He was also able to meet another little girl and see her get tested and see her pump. It was a very big day for us when we got our pump!!!! I would encourage you to look into obtaining one as soon as possible.

If at all possible, try to go to Friends For Life convention in two weeks in Orlando. You will get to see all of the products available for T1D, your son will be surrounded by other children testing and getting shots/wearing pumps, and you can take classes and attend workshops. There is also a course for grandparents. Its even very reasonably priced.

7. sariana

sariana Approved members

Caedence thought that once she left the hospital, that she would no longer need the meds and finger pricks :( It broke our hearts...

You HAVE to be strong, all of you! Know that there is no compromising with this and it will happen whether he wants it to or not! It will take a while, but he will get used to it....

Do you know any other Type 1's that he could relate to? My dad was visiting just before she was diagnosed, so she was able to see him give himself shots and all the other stuff. This seemed to help her through it and continuously makes her feel that she is not alone...

I mentioned earlier that when the doc mentions the pump, to jump on it asap due to being able to eat what they want WHEN they want. You just need to change the patch once every 2-3 days... The patch still hurts Caedence, and she hates it, but we call it her Power Patch. When she has it on, she can touch a family members nose and they fall asleep temporarily. It only works on family members due to the blood, but she got a kick out of it and still does :) When it is time to change the meds or get a new patch, then she has less power to make us sleep...

Maybe you can do something like that, just be careful what you say so that he doesn't think that more medicine will make him more powerful... lol

Last edited: Jun 13, 2010
  8. twolittleladybugs

twolittleladybugs Approved members

I'm probably repeating some suggestions, but here goes...
    Emily was dx at 2 1/2 and we'll hit 6 years in August. I remember the first 6 weeks or so as being really hard. Although, I think I've blocked out a lot of it due to lack of sleep and stress ;) Some things that were important for us were to have the meter and syringes all ready so we could be very quick with the part involving Emily. We tried very hard to be matter-of-fact about it all and not make a big deal of it. One other thing we thought was important, and has greatly helped us out as she got older, was to always do diabetes care wherever we were. If it was in a restaurant or the middle of Target, fine. We never wanted her to be embarrassed or think that diabetes was something to hide. I think this mentality made her transition to school so much easier.

As far as meals. I think we were on 30g carbs per meal with 15g carb snacks in between. We quickly learned to bolus after she ate after a few scary and frustrating meals with her refusing to eat. Right after dx, food became a major control issue for Emily. She would refuse to swallow. I remember one time she held a bite of food in her mouth for 45 minutes. We had to adapt ways to take the control away from her and make food a non-issue for her again. The post-bolusing helped because then if she only ate 15g carbs, we could give her less insulin and weren't scrambling to prevent lows. Also, with snacks you've gotten lots of advice about having a good supply of free snacks around. Emily was also very hungry after dx. I remember making hamburgers for her at 10pm many nights because she was starving and couldn't eat carbs. It was very frustrating, and probably why she'd prefer to be a vegetarian now ;) One other thing we did that really helped was make up baggies of 15g carb snacks. Emily got to help, then we put them in a cookie jar. At snack time, she could pick whichever one she wanted and knew that she could eat it all. It helped her learn to visualize what an appropriate snack size was for her at the time. It took awhile, but she kind of relearned her eating habits. She also got to the point where she'd be able to tell us how much she wanted for meals. We always asked her, so it was in her control, but the deal was she had to eat what she said she would. When we got this under control, we started pre-bolusing which greatly helped out her blood sugar control.

Good luck, like someone else said, you will find a "new normal." It gets better and he'll get used to everything. Emily's dolls were always going to the hospital and getting shots. I'm sure that helped her work through her feelings. My daughter doesn't remember not having diabetes, whether that's good or bad I'm not sure.

Kelly

Emily 8--dx @ 2 1/2, mult food allergies
    Kaitlyn 4

9. spamid

spamid Approved members

Just wanted to add my welcome, and that I am sorry you have to join us. You have found the best place on the web for support, advice, venting, etc. You will settle into a new "normal" as time goes on. I won't say it is easier, we all still have our bad days, but you will become experts at taking care of your son.

10. Georgeanne

Georgeanne Approved members

My son was diagnosed last June when he was nearly 3. He also hated injections and finger-sticks. My endo told me something that I didn't believe but turned out to be mostly true. He told me that injections/finger-sticks would be hell for the first 2 weeks out of the hospital, but after that he'd be used to it and they wouldn't be a problem. Nicky got used to the finger-sticks almost immediately and injections weren't too bad (he still wasn't fond of them, but wouldn't put up a fuss after about a week). As soon as I could though I did get him on an insulin pump. I found that much easier since, like most children, Nicky likes to graze. However, there are pros and cons to insulin pumping and that's something you will have to think about.

We were truthful about why he needed injections and blood sugar checks. We explained he had diabetes (of course the explanation of what that is was simplified) and that he needed finger-sticks to check his blood sugar because it needed to not be too high or too low and that he needed insulin to keep him from being sick. So far he's been satisfied with that. I know that he will have more questions and issues on it and the unfairness of living with it as he gets older but now he seems to just accept it.

Good luck

Georgeanne

11. LittleGuy'sMom

LittleGuy'sMom Approved members

My son was dx'd just after his 2nd birthday. It took two weeks of someone else holding him down so that I could give him his shot. After that, I was able to hold him down by myself for his shots. It was another week or so after that until he would sit still so that I could give him his shot. Even now, he'll sometimes run off. He has a lot of needle phobia so the Inject-Ease has been invaluable. I don't really deny him anything but if he's high, I'll try to steer my kids toward a low-carb snack.

Good luck. I know this is very rough right now but it will get better. :cwds: