- advertisement -

How do you tell if insulin is off???

Discussion in 'Parents of Children with Type 1' started by lisab, Aug 31, 2011.

1. lisab

lisab Approved members

We have had a run of highs.... insulin was replaced only a couple of weeks ago.... in date.... have had issues since we received this batchof both Lantus and Apidra.... D has not been playing fair at all!!

I have a vague recollection of reading years ago... that if the little rubber circle thing is 'bulging' and not flat that it indicated that the insulin has been compromised either by heat or had been frozen.

Can anyone verify that this is the case?
    Have just checked both boxes of Lantus and Apidra and every single pen... has the 'bulging' rubber circle.

My brain function is sadly lacking... due to lack of sleep... did I imagine this tidbit of information?? Surely not!

Thanks for any thoughts on this.:)

2. Lenoremm

Lenoremm Approved members

We have had an issue with bad insulin (lantus) in the past. Once while travelling we had some crazy highs that resolved when I changed the vial. This summer we had some more highs that resolved when I switched out the vial. We had violent storms that knocked out power here and I know the pharmacy was also without power for several days. I have also watched at the pharmacy as the refrigerator door has been left open for about ten minutes while they work. When I tried to point out the door was open they seemed annoyed.

I cannot speak to the bulging rubber stopper but that sort of makes sense to me. It is certainly worth trying. Good luck.

3. Lisa P.

Lisa P. Approved members

I've never heard anything about bulging indicating a problem. It seems to me that would have something to do with pressure and temperature at the moment, but not necessarily indicate a problem from before you got it, unless it was something like the water bottle top bulging and staying put after freezing and thawing. But that's water, which expands when frozen, and the water bottle isn't as flexible as the rubber stopper. But I'm at a high altitude so everything bulges when it comes up here, you can't open a yogurt container without spraying yourself a bit. :p So whadda I know!

You could call the manufacturers directly? The pharmacy has an interest in not replacing bad insulin, but the manufacturer doesn't.

I rarely have seen anyone post here about insulin truly going bad unless it was past the date (our Lantus definitely works less strongly as the month goes on), but it's of course one of those hidden things that can be masked when we just figure there's a virus driving up bg, or growth hormones, etc. I guess I'd be inclined to just give more insulin to get the numbers right, and then watch it like a hawk whenever I switched vials to make sure there's no plummeting if the new vial works better. I've changed out vials once or twice thinking the insulin might be going, but if you think it's the whole batch, that's tough.

4. danismom79

danismom79 Approved members

We've never used the pens, but I have seen them, and every penfill had a bulging stopper. I think that's just how they're made.