- advertisement -

How Do You Put Together Your Meals?

Discussion in 'Parents of Children with Type 1' started by danielsmom, Dec 2, 2011.

1. danielsmom

danielsmom Approved members

Mainly dinner...how do you put together 60-70 carbs?...It seems there always needs to be a starch in there to add up the carbs..protein and veggies don't add up to much. Which starch do you serve the most? I almost always have the milk serving of 15...Daniel has at least 3 servings of that a day...

2. obtainedmist

obtainedmist Approved members

We don't plan a meal around a certain carb amount, we just count the carbs in the meal and dose according to the I:C ratio. Anyway, we often will have a meal light on starch. I might make a hearty bean soup and salad for dinner. Occasionally I'll do a whole wheat pasta with pesto sauce. We'll also do spaghetti squash with homemade pasta sauce. Occasionally, I'll do a tamale pie with a cornbread topping (we mostly eat vegetarian). I also do a good casserole with layers of corn tortillas, a bean and veggie mixture in between and enchilada sauce.

3. Amy C.

Amy C. Approved members

We eat protein, starch, sometimes bread and a salad or other veggie. My son always drinks milk. Sometimes we might have dessert. A meal typically has about 50 to 80 grams.

My son eats what he wants and doses accordingly.

4. nanhsot

nanhsot Approved members

We were never restricted to a certain carb limit, some meals he eats 20, some he eats 100. Having a set carb amount is usually for those on NPH, not fast acting, so I'd ask your endo if you can loosen up that restriction. You just add up carbs and apply the ratio, dose accordingly.

It's quite a bit easier on everyone and IMO much better for developing bodies, allows them to eat what their body needs. I can see why they might set you up that way initially but you're definitely ready for this step. If you feel confident now, just add up carbs and do the math according to your ratio of insulin: carbs.

5. Becky Stevens mom

Becky Stevens mom Approved members

We are kind of a meat and starch kinda family. We eat some rice mixes, not regular white rice but the bag mixes or Near East. Steven loves the yellow sticky rice or the rice pilaf. We also like noodle dishes as a side dish or potatoes. Sometimes Steven just like a piece of whole wheat bread and butter on the side. We also have a vegy a fruit and a dessert which consists of a cookie or small brownie or piece of pie so it adds up to about 60-80 carbs for supper usually

6. danielsmom

The restriction seemed more about weight gain at the time. But I will let him eat more if the occassion arises. We don't tend to eat less than 60 though. He used to but endo wanted at least 60. Somedays he's hungrier than others, but I do let him eat. I wish he liked other meats. Chicken is getting boring.

7. lynn

lynn Approved members

We eat quite a bit of rice. It's only brown rice nowadays because of the better blood sugars along with the better nutrition. If it is a rice sort of dish then Nathan usually eats about 30 carbs of rice. If we don't have rice then we do have a different type of starch pretty much each night. Be it bread, pasta, potatoes, whatever, the carb amount is pretty close to a constant on a normal night. We also have a fruit sort of thing with dinner--another 15 carbs, generally. A few carbs get added for sauce, veggies, salad dressing, etc., depending on the particular night.

A night or two a week we have dessert as well. I have learned that blood sugars overnight are better if we wait an hour or so between dinner and dessert. I just tell the kids that I am anal and must have the kitchen clean before I can enjoy my treat!

8. BittysMom

BittysMom Approved members

When I left the hospital I was under the impression that Caroline needed a certain amount of carbs a day because she had diabetes. Then I had our first appointment with the Endo's nutritionist and it was there that I was basically told that she needed a certain amount of carbs because she's a 5 yr old growing girl, brain food and all that...it wasn't particularly about the D. Honestly, I never worried whether she got enough carbs before and I still don't. I had asked if it would be alright if she had a carb-free meal like for instance, when I do a bacon and egg breakfast-for-dinner type of thing and that's when the woman launched into the brainfood talk...I feel as long as she eats healthy food and her insulin needs are met appropriately, then I'm happy (thrilled actually). I try to keep Caroline's lunch in a certain range (40-50) just because she's at school and I'd rather not ask the nurse to dose .25 units. Plus she's 5, so she doesn't really look to plan her own meals yet;)

Dinner- I have begun filling her plate and then doing the counting, and that's the way I think it should eventually always be for her. So if it's a taco night and she's only eating 20 carbs total including dessert, so be it. :) I've also begun giving her shots for heftier snacks rather than making her eat bacon and sugar free jello all the time:rolleyes: She's gotten to the point where if she's hungry and it isn't a meal time she'll say "just give me insulin and let me eat!" lol I think she's the opposite of your son in that respect! I honestly can't wait for the pump in some ways.

9. bnmom

bnmom Approved members

We've never planned around a carb count. Since dx it's always been that we eat whatever, whenever and just bolus per the I:C ratio.

Your endo wants you to limit carbs, but then says not less than 60? I'd call him/her and get clarification on that. Don't be intimidated to ask them to clarify what they are saying and why they are saying it. They work for you. If weight is the issue then it would seem preferable to just add more exercise rather than make meal planning a regimented pain.

10. buggle

buggle Approved members

We're vegetarian and our diet is centered around complex carbs. On MDI, we mixed novolog with Regular to act like an extended bolus. On the pump, we use an extended bolus with most meals.

11. nanhsot

nanhsot Approved members

Now you have confused me, sorry! Are you worried about too many carbs, or not enough? From your original question it seemed like you were struggling with forcing more carbs/starches....which I would NOT do. I personally would shoot for 60 but not worry overly about going a bit under or over. I've seen photos of your son...he is a nice, healthy weight! Keep an eye on it but do not stress.

My son at 17 averages probably less than 60 per meal, but we're not a big starch family, he's fond of his protein! We do a lot of sausage, ground turkey, steak, etc. I do a lot of homebaked breads but few starches like rice or potatoes, just not our favorites.

A typical meal includes a strong protein (tonight he had 15 bean soup with sausage and a salad) and a veggie, sometimes a bread, but he tends to self monitor that, and generally avoids the bread by his own choice.

12. Butterfly Betty

Butterfly Betty Approved members

We tend to give SOphie between 45-75 at each meal, but we don't really worry if it's less or more now that we are on the pump. We eat a lot of meat, veggies, fruits, potatoes, rice, and pastas. Basically, a little of everything, lol.

13. MamaBear

MamaBear Approved members

We were never given any kind of restriction on carbs. Breakfast seems to be the most carby meal here, and dinner the least carby (not a word I know). I honestly don't plan anything based on carbs. I put dinner together based on what's in the fridge and pantry and what I feel like eating.;) Sometimes we have pasta and since he is 12 and seems to have a hollow leg, those nights it seems to be mostly carbs. Other nights we have something like chicken, brocoli, raw carrots, and baked potatoes and there are hardly any carbs to count. We also eat a little of everything.

14. Mimi

Mimi Approved members

Amanda was on NPH for almost 2 years so she did have a certain amount of carbs to eat at each meal. I always found dinner to be the most difficult of these to meet the required carb amount.

If we were having pasta, it was easy-peasy, but on nights when it's chicken & veggies & salad it was a real challenge. The easiest way for me to up the carb amount was to add bread to her meal. A slice of buttered bread, a roll, some wholegrain crackers would usually bump those carbs up enough.

15. danielsmom

In the beginning endo got on us because his initial weight gain after diagnosis was more than usual. He has maintained his weight since then, as for less carbs as was mentioned he does need them because he is a growing boy. So they want him to eat enough. I was just curious how much in starchy food your kids ate daily since it is so harsh on the BG's. But I let my boy eat, no doctor will tell me I can't feed him...

16. emm142

emm142 Approved members

My meals consist of anywhere between 0 carbs and 120 carbs (special occasions, lol). Personally I'm a big fan of letting kids' bodies tell them when they're hungry and how much they need to eat (and then parents deciding what would be healthy, but not quantity) because I just think that's the best way to train the body on eating habits long term. So personally I'd talk with your endo on having a more flexible schedule. If you did that, you'd still be able to feed him 60-70 carbs every meal if you wanted, it would just mean that the option was open if he wanted a special treat or if he wasn't hungry.

17. lil'Man'sMom

lil'Man'sMom Approved members

I try to give a balanced meal.

I haven't read the other posts. Are you worried that he isn't eating enough carbs? I don't concentrate on the amount as much as the quality of food. I try to limit processed foods.

18. danielsmom

I"m not worried...Daniel is a pretty heavy carb eater..just wondering how much healthier everyone else ate....and how creative you all got with your meals....I love to cook but my son doesn't like everything I make....and like I said it gets boring with him eating the same foods over and over...But he's happy and fed...

19. Jakethesnakesmom

Jakethesnakesmom Approved members

Jacob hasn't had a set carb count for meals for a while, but I sure remember those days. As some OP's stated, you might want to talk to your endo about having more flexibility around meals.

We usually have a protein and veggie around one of the following: potatoes, rice or pasta. Sometimes if we don't have a starch I might include fruit instead. I also add in a dessert (usually ice cream). The way my son's eating nowadays (he's 9), he can put away 50-60 carbs easily!

Stephanie, Mom to Jacob, age 9
    Dx since 2005

20. Jakethesnakesmom

Jakethesnakesmom Approved members

I also forgot to mention....for a little more meal creativity, with the weather cooling down, I've been making a lot of soups using chicken, veggies and pasta shells. I've also been making chili with turkey and beans (you can serve this with tortillas), and stews with potatoes added. Hope this helps!

Stephanie, Mom to Jacob, Age 9
    Dx since 2005