- advertisement -

How do you like the new G5?

Discussion in 'Parents of Children with Type 1' started by ecs1516, Oct 9, 2015.

1. ecs1516

ecs1516 Approved members

We got ours a couple of days ago , but I have not set it up. Thinking I will do with next sensor. Anything you really like or dislike about it?

2. Megnyc

Megnyc Approved members

I LOVE it!!!!

It is just super convenient to have my blood sugars on my phone and I am way better about keeping an eye on my numbers. I'm (unfortunately) constantly answering emails and texts on my phone so checking out my blood sugar has become very automatic. It feels much less invasive than pulling out my receiver to look. I guess my only dislike is that I do think the bluetooth is a major battery drain. I guess if you already use share 24/7 that would not be an issue though. I'm not used to keeping bluetooth on all the time so I am getting used to needing to charge my phone in the middle of the day. I have only used it for 10 days now and I can't imagine going back to the receiver. Also, I used to really want an integrated pump but I have decided I prefer the G5 to that. I really can't think of any negatives other than the battery problem. And I am going to get a new phone soon (currently have iphone 5 I got right after they were released) so that might help with the battery life.

3. rgcainmd

rgcainmd Approved members

I just got my daughter a new iPhone 6S and the battery lasts much longer than the battery on her iPhone 5C did.

4. caspi

caspi Approved members

5. Megnyc

Megnyc Approved members

I don't have a side by side picture since I don't have a newer G4 transmitter that has been removed from the box. I will try to attach pictures I took for someone else though that do show the size. The sensor is on my upper leg for references. You can see how far out the transmitter sticks from the sensor "pod."

Attached Files:

6. Beach bum

Beach bum Approved members

Two are shipping today.

7. caspi

caspi Approved members

Thanks Meg!

8. Mo1

Mo1 Approved members

Received G5 Monday, but waiting for Saturday. I had just reset the sensor on G4 so I didn't want to interrupt a working session. Looking forward to Saturday though! Good luck ya'all!

9. Lakeman

Lakeman Approved members

One of my kids has it. I got it all set up on her phone but have not yet had the time to do whatever I need to do to make the receiver work too. So far I can see that there is a subtle difference in the graph but have not yet put my finger on what it is. It seems to be less smoothed out so that the curves are steeper. I do get data for a larger portion of the day and have determined that the reason is that before when she carried both the receiver and her phone she would choose to leave them behind in her classroom. Now that she is carrying only her phone she takes it with her. So far she has kept her phone charged though we plan to buy a portable charger. She loves the new look of the screen.

10. mamattorney

mamattorney Approved members

Question on the alerts.

I read somewhere in the DOC that one of the negatives of G5 was all the button pushes to see the graph on your phone.

For alerts: does your phone vibrate first? And can you clear alarms off the "vibrate"? Do the alerts appear on the lock screen and can you just swipe them away (or do you have to type the password and actually go into the app)?

11. glko

glko Approved members

My husband has been using G5 for 3 weeks and son just switched from G4 to G5. For DH he sees only pluses, no drawbacks. He is more attentive to the BG trends since it is on his phone.
    DS is 11yo and while it is a pro that he does not have to carry a receiver we have identified some things that we need to think about. At school he used to keep his phone in his cubby in the back of the room to Share. Now has to keep the phone with him at his desk. When he used to leave the classroom for music or other classes he did not bring his phone. Since he had the receiver on him I knew that if he alerted high or low at least he would know and be able to go to the nurse or treat. Now he has to try to remember to bring his phone when he leaves the room.
    Only drawbacks I have seen are 1. when he is away from the receiver during the day those data points don't fill back in once he is home. 2. I like to use the receiver at night in our bedroom to monitor his BG, but it seems that the G5 receiver does not have the same range as the G4 as I am not able to consistently pick up his BG readings from the transmitter. I used to sleep with the receiver under my pillow so I would wake when it vibrated and never lost connection. Now I have to keep the receiver near the door and still don't have consistent readings during the night. So have been using my phone but that is a pain to have to "turn it on" during the night.

12. Megnyc

Megnyc Approved members

I'm pretty sure there is no way for it to vibrate first. But I keep my phone on silent during the school/work day since I look at it enough that I will not miss an alarm. At night I turn it off silent so I will get actual alarms. The alerts appear on the lock screen but you have to go in and clear them from the app. And you can't just open the app to see the number, you have to specifically click to clear the alarm.

13. Beach bum

We just received ours yesterday, but I won't break it out of the box as we just changed both sensors a few days ago. Here's our problem While the high school the girls are at is wifi enabled, there are some serious dead spots. I personally don't need to know what's going on during the day as they are both 14 and run their own show at school (nurse on staff who's fantastic), but they are still going to need to carry the transmitter to make up for the classes they are in that are in the dead zone.

14. Megnyc

Megnyc Approved members

Sorry, I'm confused. You don't need wifi or cell data for the G5 to work unless you want the data to get into the cloud. It uses bluetooth which works as long as the phone is on and bluetooth is on. Even if they don't have wifi they don't need a receiver. Just the iphone. I could be completely misunderstanding what you are saying though.

15. Beach bum

Nope, I was a bit confused. As long as the two can communicate at school, they're golden. As I mentioned, I don't need to know what's up at school, though of course, if they are after school that's a whole other story. But then again, they are 14 and do a pretty good job with self monitoring so I'm not going to sweat it.

16. Megnyc

Megnyc Approved members

As an update to this I am starting to regret the upgrade to the G5. I love the actual product but the cost increase to my insurance is huge. They are paying $540 per G5 transmitter which will apparently shut off at 112 days. So over $2k on transmitters alone per year. Previously they paid $600 for a G4 transmitter which would last me well over a year. I used the G4 for 2.5 years and I was only on my second transmitter. It isn't a huge issue to me since I pay $25 per transmitter (though my cost per year did go from $25 to $200 for transmitters) but I am not sure that the significantly increased cost to insurance is reasonable for a product that can't be that much more expensive to dexcom to manufacture. It does not seem like a good use of healthcare resources at all to me. That said, I plan to keep using the G5 since I already have 2 transmitters on hand and then I will reevaluate.

17. jenm999

jenm999 Approved members

The press I've read made it sound like insurance would be billed the same for a two-pack of G5 transmitters as for a single G4.

18. funnygrl

funnygrl Approved members

Yes, Dexcom has repeatedly said they're selling two packs of transmitters at similar prices as one transmitter before. They are also billing them as a two pack.

19. Megnyc

Megnyc Approved members

Mine goes through pharmacy insurance (express scripts) so it is a bit different. They bill it as a single transmitter and you only get one at once and can then order an additional one 23 days later which is again billed as a single transmitter (at least that is how it worked for me). I'm actually wrong though. It looks like the negotiated price for a G4 transmitter for my insurance changed between when I last ordered one and now. It is now close to $800 for a G4 transmitter and $450 for a G5 transmitter so a much smaller difference.

It says they only dispensed one so I do think/hope it was billed correctly.
    Screen Shot 2015-10-28 at 11.20.59 PM.png

Last edited: Oct 28, 2015
  20. rgcainmd

rgcainmd Approved members

We apparently only get one G5 transmitter at a time, too. I hate not having a "backup" if something happens. The thought of going without Dexcom for even a few hours makes me uncomfortable...