- advertisement -

How do you hear medtronic's CGMS alarms at night?

Discussion in 'Parents of Children with Type 1' started by suej, Oct 20, 2013.

1. suej

suej Approved members

Hi
    It seems not currently possible to get a "My Sentry" in SA. My DS 11 years does not wake to the Veo CGMS alarms. He is not pumping yet but we want to asap (still need to convince Endo we are capable of it). I put his veo at his bedside with a baby monitor right next to it and with the monitor at its most sensitive, the alarms transmit to my bedroom just loud enough to wake me. When he pumps the Veo will be further away and under blankets and I don't think baby monitor will pick up alarms. What do other parents with medtronic CGMS's do? No Dexcom available here otherwise from what the forum says would be the way to go.
    Thank you

2. 4MyBoys

4MyBoys Approved members

We have a MySentry now, but before we got the MySentry we used a lapel microphone set up. We bought it all at Radio Shack. There was a small microphone attached to a battery pack in Gregory's pump case. It transmitted to a receiver connected to an amplifier in our room. It wasn't perfect, but it worked pretty well! When we got the MySentry I really missed being able to hear every growl of his stomach and every breath he took! Here is a link to the lapel microphone and receiver. The entire system cost less than $100. i don't know if it would work in SA (due to frequencies) or how much it would cost to ship it, but if you are interested in it I can get ours out and post the links to all of the parts. I don't remember the specifics for the little cords and connectors. Our receiver was still going strong when we stopped using it after more than five years. We had to replace the part that went in Gregory's pump case twice, but it wasn't expensive (less than $20.00.)
    http://www.radioshack.com/product/index.jsp?productId=2131022

3. suej

suej Approved members

Thank you, what a clever idea:) I will go and visit the equivalent of the Radio Shack here in SA and see what they have on offer. If I struggle to find an equivalent then perhaps I can ask you for more info but this helps a lot.

PS - does the MySentry work well? Is it worth the cost?

Kind regards

4. Mish

Mish Approved members

I was under the impression that the MySEntry wasn't available with the Veo?

Anyway, we demo'd it. It alarmed, but it also alarmed every time the sensor went out of range (which was all the time). So it just wasn't a very good system for us, at all. Without, there was no way to hear the alarms without rigging up something like the previous person suggested.

5. 4MyBoys

4MyBoys Approved members

We love the MySentry, so the cost (even though we think it costs a lot more than it should) is worth it to us! Gregory wears his sensor 24/7 and he hears the daytime alarms without the MySentry, so we only use it at night in our room and if he is sleeping in we bring it downstairs. It does alarm if it it loses touch with his pump (which isn't very often based on how we use it), or if the power goes out. I like that it alarms so we know he is basically without a sensor and can set our alarm to wake and check him, etc. I also like that I can see how many units of insulin he has, how his battery is and scroll back to see what his blood sugar was at school today without bothering him while he's sleeping.
    I had also heard that the MySentry will not work with the Veo. I really hope it does since we have invested in it and we would like to keep using it after we upgrade! At this point, owning the MySentry will probably keep us with Medtronic for Gregory's next pump but if the MySentry doesn't work with it we will probably look at other options.
    I hope you are successful finding a way to hear his alarms! -Allison

6. suej

suej Approved members

Thank you for your wisdom. I do have MySentry envy - its good to know it works for some kids as there have been a few negative blogs about it, and if I could would try it out. But I will try lapel mic in interim. I have also heard may not work with Veo which sounds like marketing suicide to me and just not sensible. I have asked Medtronic local office but not received a direct reply. Will just keep trying to figure diabetes out day by night by day....

Thank you

7. TripleThreat

TripleThreat Approved members

Put the pump in a can cut the plAstic lid so tubing can come out, the noise is annoying

8. suej

suej Approved members

Interesting... but does not sound comfortable to wear a can when sleeping and my son wriggles around at night a lot? On my way to the SA version of Radio Shack. I still can't believe MySentry will not be compatible with Veo.