- advertisement -

How do you handle your T1 child's exposure to unvaccinated kids?

Discussion in 'Parents of Children with Type 1' started by lauraqofu, Oct 12, 2016.

1. lauraqofu

lauraqofu Approved members

My daughter recently told me that her younger half sister, who is nearly four, has received no vaccines, and won't receive any until she starts public school, as per the law in California. My daughter has had all of her vaccines, and gets her yearly flu and pneumonia shots, as per her endo's orders, but vaccines can lose efficacy over time, and I probably wouldn't be so concerned about my daughter spending time with her unvaccinated sister if she wasn't T1, but as we know, a simple flu can land our kids in the hospital, so something like Measles or Chicken Pox is that much more frightening.

I don't have a super great relationship with my daughter's father, and he's obviously not that concerned that he's risking the health of both of his daughters by not vaccinating the younger one. I have a call into the endo's office to talk to her team about what we should do, and how risky it really is, but I'm kind of curious what other T1 parents have done or would do in a similar situation.

2. jenm999

jenm999 Approved members

I don't think there's anything you can do about this. You might try to educate your ex but I'm guessing he's your ex for a reason? I am about as pro-vax as they come but would probably try to keep my mouth shut. A relationship with her sister and harmony between her parents are probably more important for your daughter's long term health and happiness than the small reduction in risk to her, given that she herself is vaccinated.

3. samson

samson Approved members

If you're concerned, you ask her pediatrician which immunities are likeliest to wane, see if she can be given booster shots for those vaccines, and if you're still concerned, I believe there is a way to test whether someone has an immune response to a vaccine, which would indicate their effectiveness. I'm guessing the TdaP will need refreshing, as the modern vaccine is just not that effective. Other than that, if your daughter has received two measles vaccines she likely has lifelong protection.

4. Lakeman

Lakeman Approved members

My son was vaccinated for chicken pox and got it anyway. Then after already having had chicken pox he got it again a few years later. And to top all that off I got shingles at the same time (which is related to chicken pox). The long and short of it is that receiving a vaccine does not guarantee that one will not get chicken pox nor that one would not pass it on.

This experience caused me to look into the whole vaccine thing a bit and I learned that no vaccine is 100% effective in protecting people from stuff. If a million people get vaccinated a percentage of those people will receive no effect from the vaccine just as if they had never been vaccinated. The percentage of people who do not receive a benefit varies widely from vaccine to vaccine but in just about every case the number of people who get the vaccine but received no immunity is higher than the number of people who do not get vaccinated.

If your child is in a group of 100 kids and 1 of them is un-vaccinated your child is more at risk from the 5 kids (estimated number not knowing exactly what vaccine we are talking about at any moment) who received the vaccination but did not get a benefit than from the 1 who did not receive any vaccine at all.

If vaccines were as great as they want us to believe then your vaccinated child would be at zero risk from un-vaccinated kids. But if vaccinations are not as great as they want us to believe (and they are not) then your chilid will always have some risk and it does not really matter much at all if a tiny percentage of people choose not to get their kids vaccinated.

So just stop worrying about it and live your life.

5. Beach bum

Beach bum Approved members

I'd ask both your pediatrician and your endo. Being that she's 17, she's had some boosters already and will probably be due for more coming up. Possibly, but not entirely, that will protect her a bit more.

Honestly, I'd be more concerned with the non-vac 4 year old getting something than your 17 year old vaccinated child. Honestly, I don't think our T1d kids are any more at risk for catching things than other kids. The only illness that ever really gets me on edge is stomach bugs as those can go down hill fast and we've had ER visits for those.

6. Christopher

Christopher Approved members

What is the risk of her walking down the street? Going to the mall? Going to a movie? Going to a restaurant? At all those places and more she might be exposed to people who have not been vaccinated. Over the past 8 years Danielle has gotten colds, the flu, pneumonia, etc and has never ended up in the hospital. I know that is anecdotal evidence but I think you might be worrying for a very low risk reason.

7. Mimikins

Mimikins Approved members

Unfortunately, I'm exposed to a lot of things as a nursing student. The biggest things to preventing infection for me is making sure I stay up-to-date with my vaccinations (flu vaccine every September-October, though it's required for my school. Tdap booster every 10 years. I don't think there's any other major boosters unless she plans on traveling internationally) and having good hand hygiene (washing my hands frequently, keeping hands away from my face, not coughing into my hands). A lot of diseases are spread through droplets (chickenpox can be airborne), so it would often require me to have the germs on my hands and me then placing my hands at a port of entry into the body (eating something, scratching my eye, nose picking, etc.) before I could inoculate myself with that germ.