- advertisement -

How do you handle water parks if you are on the pump?

Discussion in 'Parents of Children with Type 1' started by ecs1516, Feb 3, 2012.

1. ecs1516

ecs1516 Approved members

Any ideas?
    Here are some of my guesses.
    I have heard some give a shot of lantus but never using it I would want to try it beforehand.

Do you just disconnect? What do you do?

Putting pump in cooler in locker was a thought.

Maybe put a small meter and glucose tabs in one of those waterproof things that go around your neck?

2. emm142

emm142 Approved members

Personally I'd probably do low dose Lantus (I get 18U basal from pump, but I think I'd do 6U Lantus) and then correct as necessary with the pump. 1/3 of my usual basal might be enough if I'm running around all day, and would at least be enough to keep away the ketones. I'd also rather run a little high, around 200, for the day.

3. timsma

timsma Approved members

When Tim was on the MM pump, we got one of those aquapacs that has a spot where the tubing can go thru, without water getting into it. You can still look at it and bolus thru it. We did temp basal rates as well, for the extra activity. Just google aquapac and you'll see what I'm talking about. Have fun! Oh, and he kept it in his pocket. If it falls out, it floats too.

4. Amy C.

Amy C. Approved members

My son does a bolus of 4 hours worth of basal and then takes the pump off before going swimming.

After 4 hours, he does another bolus to make up for the lost basal.

5. emm142

emm142 Approved members

It's so funny how true YDMV is! If I gave 4 hours of basal at once (usually around 3U) my BG would absolutely plummet.

6. jcanolson

jcanolson Approved members

We haven't done the Lantus. She doesn't develop ketones quickly though.

We do have a waterproof neck thing for stuff to check bg with and something for lows.

We leave the pump at the First Aid station. It is fairly centrally located, so we just swing by occasionally, check bg, and bolus for correction or to replace basal. We'll be there at the end of the day to change a site anyway. We've never had a site last the entire day.

7. McKenna'smom

McKenna'smom Approved members

DD tends to run low when running around water parks. We disconnect and check her often and bolus for snacks.

The last time we went to a water park, we were able to put her pump in a FRIO pack and leave it with the First Aid office.

8. hawkeyegirl

hawkeyegirl Approved members

We avoid them, LOL.

Seriously, I know that is not going to work indefinitely. I think eventually we will buy an Omnipod out of pocket for waterpark days. Jack cannot go without basal for more than an hour and a half, and it just does not work for him to try to replace basal by bolusing occasionally. The thought of trying to use Lantus for the day gives me hives.

9. jules12

jules12 Approved members

We rent a locker and put his pump in a frio pack. We have a special pouch that keeps it from getting moist. We make sure we visit the locker about every hour to bolus the missed basal and/or get a snack. Sometimes if the lockers aren't conveniently located we may bolus for half the missed basal so we can stretch the time out a little but the goal is to have some insulin every hour or so. I just never wanted to mess with lantus for just a day or two.

We carry a meter (a one touch mini) and glucose tabs around with us and just check and leave it in the towel by the entrance of the ride. Someone said using a small airtight container so you could just hold onto it and we might try that next time.

10. Beach bum

Beach bum Approved members

If we were just doing a waterpark for a day, we would just go the unhook and lock it up route, then plug back in at lunch and have the basal going for at least an hour (this way too they can rest and let their food settle), correct if needed. We would hold pretty steady during the day. Night is where the highs would occur, so then we would do an increased temp basal.

If we are going somewhere where there will be several days of waterpark, then we would go the untethered route.

11. Mish

Mish Approved members

we remove the pump, put it in a cooler bag in the locker with the meter, and carry glucose tabs double bagged in zippy bags. And then we just periodically check and correct as needed, but if he feels low, we have the glucose tabs handy.

12. piratelight

piratelight Approved members

H takes his pump off and puts it in his backpack. We then test about every hour. Usually he is so busy that his BG's stay in range.

13. hawkeyegirl

I am so jealous of those whose kids can remove their pumps for hours and not get ketones. :(

14. timsma

timsma Approved members

Me too! We tried that route, not a good thing for him. Getting that aquapac was a Godsend for him. Tim gets ketones so quickly when without insulin.

15. ecs1516

ecs1516 Approved members

Thanks for all the input! Water parks just freak me out now.

16. ashtensmom

ashtensmom Approved members

Hi. Can you educate me... Does he go high with ketones, or stay in range but develop ketones? We have not yet tried unhooking for more than 1 hour so I am green on this subject. Just wondering if it is necessary to check for ketones when spending a day in the water 'even' if bg is in range.

17. emm142

emm142 Approved members

I can't speak for Karla although I think I remember that J has a similar reaction to being unhooked to what I have. If I get ketones from a lack of insulin, they are also accompanied by high BG. The only thing that makes my BG rise faster than missing basal insulin is missing insulin for basal and food at the same time.

18. hawkeyegirl

Yes, he goes high, although it's a delayed high. He goes low from the activity, so we have to carb him up. Then, after he's done, he goes extremely high from the uncovered carbs and lack of basal.

19. Helenmomofsporty13yearold

Helenmomofsporty13yearold Approved members

We were told to disconnect for a day at a waterpark, but reconncect every 2 hours to do a bolus for missed basals. Less basal was needed due to the activity. Lots of tests and lots of snacks. I tried to run her a little high as my fear was her going low while on a lineup near the top of a waterslide. I always followed her when she was younger and carried Smarties in one of those waterproof-around-the-neck things.

20. ashtensmom

ashtensmom Approved members

Thx. So, during the day he's in range or low and then after the water park fun, he goes high at the end of the day with ketones. Thx for educating me. We have no plans go do a water park soon but I will know to watch for the nasty highs and ketones when we do it in summer.