- advertisement -

How do you do seconds?

Discussion in 'Parents of Children with Type 1' started by kpoehls, Sep 25, 2011.

1. kpoehls

kpoehls Approved members

When your CWD asks for seconds at a meal, how do you respond?

If you pre-bolus, do you make them wait for 20 minutes, or do you just serve the seconds and bolus afterwards?

2. HanksMom

HanksMom Approved members

We just give more food, count the carbs, and bolus accordingly with the pump. One of the very best features of pumping, IMHO. No second shots, no having to draw up itty bitty amounts of insuling in a syringe, etc.

3. Butterfly Betty

Butterfly Betty Approved members

We do shots after she eats, so we know that we are dosing her for as much as she needs to cover her carbs.

4. hawkeyegirl

hawkeyegirl Approved members

It's typical for us to do multiple boluses for one meal. But I don't make him wait for seconds.

5. Teacups

Teacups Approved members

We're on our last week of MDI for ds (Friday is pump day!). We bolus before the meal. If he's still hungry he eats what he wants then boluses afterward for the seconds.

6. emm142

emm142 Approved members

I usually prebolus for the first part, but if I have seconds I bolus immediately before eating, rather than waiting.

7. Lisa P.

Lisa P. Approved members

We have never noticed a benefit from stalling on seconds.

8. MamaBear

MamaBear Approved members

We used to just give another shot if he wanted seconds,no making him wait. Now however checks his BG, makes his plate, and asks if we can wait to give the shot until after he's done, in case he either wants more, or cannot finish his first serving.

9. mom24grlz

mom24grlz Approved members

if Ashleigh wants seconds she just boluses as she's eating the food.

10. thebestnest5

thebestnest5 Approved members

That's what L does.

11. Flutterby

Flutterby Approved members

We usually do three boluses per meal.. we prebolus 1/2 of what we think she'll eat, then when she's done her bolus the other 1/2, if she has seconds we bolus that when she's done because sometimes she doesn't eat all of the seconds. Or we prebolus and then squarewave the rest of what we think she'll eat.. if she eats over what we squarewaved then we just straight bolus the rest when she's all done.

12. RacerWife7

RacerWife7 Approved members

This is what we do, too. No waiting. And if he ends up eating more than we bolused before he ate, we just give the difference after he's done eating. :)

13. quiltinmom

quiltinmom Approved members

When we were on MDI we usually bolused after meals to avoid multiple shots. Now that we're pumping he'll bolus as he sits down to eat (we're working on getting it done 15-20 min beforehand), and after he's done eating we count what he ate and he takes what he needs. I wanted to prebolus with MDI, but I wanted fewer shots even more (his poor fatty spots!) so that's what we did. His eating was way too unpredictable to prebolus. Sometimes he eats 150 carbs in a meal, sometimes only 25 (and everything in between).

Hope this helps!