- advertisement -

How do you deal with mornings?

Discussion in 'Parents of Children with Type 1' started by BCmom, Nov 24, 2010.

1. HanksMom

HanksMom Approved members

My last comment on this thread...

Chris and I BOTH apologized, publicly and privately. This got out of hand when everyone's intent was positive.

I messed up - you know how when you're already having a bad day and something just rubs you the wrong way, and you overreact? That's what I did, and my guess is, we've all been there before.

While I am a new D Mom, my fears are real, and I was attempting to relate to the OP's also-stated fears.

Can we please stop this back-and-forth and get back to helping the OP?

2. Becky Stevens mom

Becky Stevens mom Approved members

I was just thinking last night about how scary night time corrections can be if one doesnt have a CGMS for their CWD. What I mean is that, if I test at 2AM and Steven is 300+ Im not quite sure if its a fat spike from supper and will settle down on its own. Or is he that number but already starting to come down on his own.And when Steven has been super active during the day he may have a delayed hypo at night, sometimes many hours after the activity. I realize that with a CGMS it will show you arrow down or up so that you can know which way the BGs are heading. I am very cautious with night time corrections and start out with a half correction or less then test again in another hour to 1 1/2 hours to see where thats gotten us. It's definitely a good subject to discuss with the endo or CDE.

3. Amy C.

Amy C. Approved members

I haven't read all the responses, but I guess that the OP was being encouraged to treat the high blood sugars.

The fear of treating at night is reduced when you consider the problems if you don't. I am concerned about my son's kidneys. After 13 years with diabetes, he has micralbuminuria and consider any high blood sugar to be chipping away at his kidney function.

My son tests or is more between the hours of midnight and 9 am than the other 13 hours in a day. You can catch lows by testing more often.