- advertisement -

How do you count carbs?

Discussion in 'Parents of Children with Type 1' started by bnmom, Oct 10, 2011.

1. bnmom

bnmom Approved members

I'm curious on how you were taught to count carbs...wondering if everyone does it the same or if there is variance in instruction on carb counting.

We were told to use this formula:

Total Carbohydrates
    - Dietary Fiber
    - 1/2 the sugar alcohols
    --------------------------
    Carb amount to bolus for

When we left the hospital, it was just Total Carbs we worked from...took about a month before the endo and nutritionist told us about subtracting dietary fiber and sugar alcohols.

I'm wondering if that is the way everyone does it - or do you use another formula?

2. Christopher

Christopher Approved members

Just the carbs. The only time she subtracts for fiber is if it is over 6g. And that is pretty rare. Tried accounting for the sugar alcohols a few times but honestly, it never made any difference for her.

3. virgo39

virgo39 Approved members

We were told to deduct 1/2 sugar alcohols and 1/2 fiber from things that had more than 5 g. of fiber. We almost never deduct the fiber. We deduct the sugar alcohol, but DD generally only had sugar-free syrup infrequently, but sugar free gum (which we don't bolus for unless it got to 4 g., but so far it never has).

4. tiger7lady

tiger7lady Approved members

Carbs - 1/2 dietary fiber - 1/2 of sugar alcohols. We do this for anything with more than 2g fiber.

5. L101418

L101418 Approved members

Total Carbs - 1/2 fiber if fiber is more than 5g per serving.
    Sugar alcohols were not mentioned.

6. Mom2Will

Mom2Will Approved members

This is what we do. Do whatever works best for you.

7. hdm42

hdm42 Approved members

We do straight carbs here too.

8. Becky Stevens mom

Becky Stevens mom Approved members

We were told that a carb is a carb and not to subtract anything.

9. KatieSue

KatieSue Approved members

They had us on some unit system. Every 15 carbs was a unit. You rounded up or down. It seemed extremely complicated so we asked why could we just add up the actual carbs and use that number. They said that was fine too.

10. Mommy To 4

Mommy To 4 Approved members

This is pretty new to me still, but when we left the hospital they told us just to use the total carbs. The nutritionist mentioned that we could subtract 1/2 the fiber if it was over 5g but that we didn't have to. I haven't even tried yet, as it is all I can do to make sure that I am counting things correctly at this point. May consider the fiber thing later, but it sounds like it is more work for not much more benefit.

11. lgouldin

lgouldin Approved members

We were told to look at the Total Carbs and add them up

12. Blue

Blue Approved members

We do straight carb counts . . . Once he is older (and eating more) the endo said we will start subtracting half of fiber content. Nothing has been said about sugar alcohols.

13. MommaKat

MommaKat Approved members

I asked about sugar alcohols early on, like day 2 of education following discharge from the ICU. We were told half of the sugar alcohol should be subtracted, and to never treat a low with sugar alcohols. It isn't that they don't raise blood sugar, but the molecular structure of the sugar alcohol takes longer for the body to metabolize, and ends up raising blood sugar much more slowly. That's been important info for us in some cases, like xylitol and isolmaltulose, but not others like malitol which sends dd's bg through the roof, and quickly.

Other than that, we count total carbs

14. emm142

emm142 Approved members

I've found my post meal numbers a little more predictable since I started to subtract fibre when I remember to. I don't eat much in the way of sugar alcohols.

15. pianoplayer4

pianoplayer4 Approved members

we were taught to count carbs-1/2 fiber over 5g but i dont, it doesn't seem to affect me that much and I swag most of my carbs so I don't usally know the fiber count

16. bnmom

bnmom Approved members

Interesting to see we aren't all doing it the same way. Now I'm curious why they tell us to do it that way when other folks just do total carbs and don't have any issues. I can't imagine they're just trying to give us busy work, but maybe they are :p Not a big deal since we are used to it now, but interesting nonetheless.

Hmmm...maybe that's why. My curiosity is piqued now, so I'll have to ask the endo next time we go.

Thanks to all for sharing!

17. lisamustac

lisamustac Approved members

18. BittysMom

BittysMom Approved members

Just total carbs here.

19. swellman

swellman Approved members

Exactly that.

20. bandmkolb

bandmkolb Approved members

Just carbs. The nutritionist nor the endo has ever mentioned anything about fiber and sugar alcohol.