- advertisement -

How do you bolus for popcorn?

Discussion in 'Parents of Children with Type 1' started by ecs1516, Nov 2, 2010.

1. ecs1516

ecs1516 Approved members

Our bags are 24 carbs but I never seem to get the bolus right. Do you do combos? We Kettle corn and also Movie theatre butter.

2. VinceysMom

VinceysMom Approved members

For one bag of microwave popcorn, we do 1:10 ratio of Humalog, so he gets 3 units and eats the entire bag! Now if his BG is like 80, i will do less Humalog...he has had an entire bag of popcorn at between 70 and 80 with no insulin and was under 120 three hours later. Mostly, I take the insulin dose and his BG number and somehow come up with the correct amount of insulin. I keep really good notes, too, on how his body reacts to popocorn at different BG numbers, etc., because popcorn is Vince's most favorite snack. This is definitely at YDMV thing.

3. Lawana

Lawana Approved members

We shave off a few carbs for unpopped kernals. Otherwise, just bolus for the carbs just before eating.

4. mommylovestosing

mommylovestosing Approved members

Don't forget there's a BIG difference between popped and unpopped! Don't bolus with the unpopped carbs amount!

Also - while we're talking popcorn. I'm having issues with the Smartfood White Cheddar. It seems to be high - more carbs than there really are. Anyone else seeing lows after bolusing from package?

5. Brendan's Mom

Brendan's Mom Approved members

CalorieKing website is really good site to go to for food infor. They have a huge amount of infor on popcorn.

I usually do 4 to 5 carb per cup for popcorn. It usually works out. With popcorn, it is good to underbolus a little. I learned that the hard way. I had spent the whole night trying to keep my son bs in range when i overbolus last year. :(

6. Heather(CA)

Heather(CA) Approved members

Do you give the insulin before, during, or after he eats it?

I do 3 cups is 15 grams

7. VinceysMom

VinceysMom Approved members

I usually give it just before or during... The "bag" usually equates to a little more than 8 cups of popped popcorn..and yes, he eats the entire bag...and he puts parm cheese on it .. a lot of cheese!

8. emm142

emm142 Approved members

Personally, I always do a square wave bolus for popcorn. I start the square wave when I start eating, and set it for as long as I expect to be eating it. If I give it all upfront I end up low, since I eat popcorn really slowly, but if I wait until I've finished eating to dose, I end up high. That said, I eat salt or butter popcorn.. never sweet. If I ate sweet popcorn, I imagine that I might dose it all upfront.

As to carbs per amount, I go by intuition. :p

9. lynn

lynn Approved members

I barely bolus for popcorn. If Nathan eats only a couple of cups then I don't give insulin at all. Home popped popcorn makes him low a lot.

Now, the couple of times we've gone to the movies and given him popcorn. I've decided that is pure evil. Highs that won't come down visit us after movie popcorn.

10. jilmarie

jilmarie Approved members

Add me to the list of people who have overbolused for popcorn! It resulted in in a low where my boyfriend force-fed me juice and tabs. I actually don't remember much of it :eek:

11. joy orz

joy orz Approved members

We use a non-fat popcorn. Basically popcorn and salt. No fat spike. ;)

Weigh the popcorn (taking out the unpopped) and dose just as she is starting to eat it. I do shave off a bit since it seems to be a lower GI food for her.

12. GaPeach

GaPeach Approved members

We have a Tupperware bowl that holds almost 3 cups exactly and we count 15g per cups. It makes for consistant carb counting.

UNLESS, she decides to make movie butter variety - because she opens the bag and scrapes the butter off the wrapper!

13. KellyMama

KellyMama Approved members

Same for us - we just use air popped kernals or the mini bags of Orville naturals with a touch of salt. If it's movie theater popcorn (shudder) then it always requires a combo bolus or a temp basal to account for the massive amounts of fat/oil in it. :eek:

14. jewlzann

jewlzann Approved members

i cant figure out why anyone would need the carbs for unpopped popcorn?? am i missing something??? popcorn has always scared me. to afraid to bolus for it.