- advertisement -

How do you bolus for a meal when you're low?

Discussion in 'Parents of Children with Type 1' started by calebsmom1113, Jan 4, 2011.

1. denise3099

denise3099 Approved members

This is why I might wait to have dd eat. I could just treat and eat and dose for the whole thing, but i'm not sure how fast she'll come up if I put chicken nuggets on top of 3 glucose tabs. Honestly though I only wait a few minutes, maybe 5 to get that sugar going before dumping a burger into the mix. And if she's still low after the meal, I treat with a lollipop to try to bypass the tummy altogether by going through the cheek.

What a maze!

2. hawkeyegirl

hawkeyegirl Approved members

Yup. That's why we do it too. Any food you put with the "fast carbs" slows down their absorbption. If it's not a low low, it's no big deal, but in the 50s or below, I want that low up as fast as possible.

But Jack doesn't feel his lows, so we don't have the "starving" feeling to deal with.

3. Flutterby

Flutterby Approved members

The only time we would wait to eat was if we were having a high fat content meal where it would possibly slow down the absorbtion of the fast acting sugar. OR if she's been low, was seriously low etc and we needed to make sure she came up.. doesn't happen often, usually we treat and eat. But there have been times were we treated, thought she was OK, she ate, and complained about being low, we checked and she was STILL low, then the food from the meal slowed everything down and we'd have to wait to bolus.

4. Heather(CA)

Heather(CA) Approved members

Hi Brenda, my response was the textbook version. I'm not saying I do it that way all the time, and with a cgms like you said, you can see if it's steady or not :)

5. BrendaK

BrendaK Neonatal Diabetes Registry

Ahhhh, got it. Didn't even think about that!

6. borghard

borghard New Member

why wait

If you take the sugar tablets, they are fast acting and you learn to know how many to take to get you back to a good range. Then eat and bolus as usual. If you eat other foods right away that contain fat (m&m's) it will take longer to bring the number up. It will also be harder to know when and how much to bolus for the food if you eat right away.

I know when my daughter or I go really low, it is really hard not to eat everything in sight!

7. calebsmom1113

calebsmom1113 Approved members

We rarely use glucose tablets but it sounds like that's the way to go. We've been keeping them for emergencies in his travel bag in case we're didn't have food around. I definitely see the advantage of using the tabs though, because we need to figure out exactly how much glucose raises his BG by how much. Thanks.

8. shekov

shekov Approved members

This is why we wait too. We don't ALWAYS wait but try to ;)

9. mom2two

mom2two Approved members

I give the right amount glucose tabs to get his blood sugar above 70, retest to make sure he is over 70 then bolus for meal.