- advertisement -

How do they do it ???

Discussion in 'Parents of Children with Type 1' started by yelley, Aug 11, 2010.

1. yelley

yelley Approved members

Our D kids are truly amazing.

As I sit here with tears in my eyes thinking about everything Danielle has to do in order to keep her blood sugars in check, and she does it all with little complaint!

I am a total whimp compared to her. Last night I purchased the One Touch Delica because she has been complaining about the finger pokes hurting. When she was getting ready to try it, she said "Mom you try it first". Can you believe that I was to afraid to do something that my daughter has to do multiple times a day!! What kind of a mother am I???

The one time I did do a finger poke, it hurt for about a half hour. I am truly a whimp, lol.

It is just not fair, she is so good about all this, site changes, finger pokes, etc. I even got her to try a belly site finally and I could see how nervous she was, it breaks my heart.

OK, enough whining! I just want to say that our kids are the best!

I hope everyone has a wonderful day and thanks for reading if you got this far!

Kristi

2. annaluvspink

annaluvspink Approved members

I agree! I was gest. diabetic w/ my second child--I had to do fingerpokes on myself 4-5 times a day. I absolutely hated it, it was torture for me. AND I always 'errored' so had to do it again, ugh. After I delivered, I threw my meter kit under the bathroom sink and said, "Finally that crap can go away!"...well, little did I know that a little more than a year later I would be poking my four year old. That was the toughest thing for me, even worst then the shots. Poking her little fingers. It took me almost 2 years to figure out that the Multiclix lancing device was almost painless. I just wish I knew back then that the One Touch Meter test strips takes the biggest blood sample=bigger poke :eek: Finally we have it down to a manageable system. I'm sure to rotate fingers and areas so she can have healthy fingertips for years and years to come!

3. zapsmom

zapsmom Approved members

I agree as well. I have poked my finger several times and it HURTS!!! My finger was sore for half an hour as well and all I could think is MY Poor baby has to go through these pokes 6-10 times a day!!!! :(

4. spamid

spamid Approved members

Also remember, over time our kids develop calluses on their fingers, even with rotating. We use multiclix, and my DD says she does not feel the finger pokes any more.

I agree, though. Our kids are amazing!

5. madde

madde Approved members

I wholeheartedly agree!!:cwds:

6. PatriciaMidwest

PatriciaMidwest Approved members

Our kids are amazing. I have to really psyche myself up to test my blood, I can't imagine doing it 10 times or more a day!

7. CamsMom

CamsMom Approved members

Our kids are amazing! Cameron is the bravest little boy I know. I am SO very proud of him!!

8. nanhsot

nanhsot Approved members

I know, I had a similar thought myself yesterday, my son was playing football, full pads, sweating like a pig, exhausted, and he RAN off the field, poked and tested in about 10 seconds flat. There was a teen girl there and she said "wow, he's fast"! It just amazed me, I'd have been dragging myself just trying to wear football pads/helmet yet he does that AND then purposely makes himself bleed and never ever complains.

On that note...is the delica a whole lot better, I was eyeing it at Walgreen's yesterday and wondering.

9. yelley

yelley Approved members

She really likes it. My hubby tried it as well and he said it was a lot better then the other.

Funny thing, she was with her friend when she tried it and asked if she could have some extra lancets because her friend wanted to try it too.

I love that her friends are so supportive!

10. RosemaryCinNJ

RosemaryCinNJ Approved members

Because our kids are the most amazing and bravest kids out there...they are so strong..
    But, do you know they are that way..because...of .....Parents like us! Good job Mom!