- advertisement -

how do i wake a sleeping child?

Discussion in 'Parents of Children with Type 1' started by shannong, Oct 18, 2012.

1. Pauji5

Pauji5 Approved members

I agree. they get used to it.....after 5 years, my daughter doens't even stir.....

2. dqmomof3

dqmomof3 Approved members

My daughter was 9 at dx, and she always wanted me to wake her up as well, at first, so I did. After a while, though, she just slept through it. For her, I think it was about being able to make the choice herself. Now, at 14, she just flops a hand out of the covers when I come in the room, and rarely remembers I've been in there.

3. hdm42

hdm42 Approved members

My son was 9 at dx and is now 14. We turn on the hall light, I go sit on the side of his bed (often after pushing him over to make room) and softly tell him I'm going to test him. He gives me his hand and I test him. If I have to do a shot, I wake him a bit. Neither one of us likes to do it while he's deep asleep and have him wake up mid-shot. He will drink juice in his sleep if he's low.
    If he even wakes, it's barely and he goes right back to sleep.

4. swellman

swellman Approved members

Yep, test, drink juice, change pod ... completely asleep.

Bad thing is he can't hear the CGM alarms and probably never will.

5. nanhsot

nanhsot Approved members

My son insists on being woken but he's much older so it makes sense, plus he was diagnosed as a teen and was used to his privacy in his room. Honestly for a 6 year old I think it will be easier for you to just test while sleeping. I do think he'll get used to it.

But, here's my technique, I shake once or twice, then I start loading the meter, I put the test strip in, load the lancet (we use multiclix) and hand it to him while I shine the light on his finger (I have a tiny little book light I take in with me). Sometimes that's enough and he wakes and pokes; sometimes he is confused and can't really understand why I am there. When he doesn't wake easily I take his finger and poke for him. He's awake enough to not get irritated but he goes back to sleep easily at that point. I wait for the reading and do whatever is needed. If he's high I do ask him to correct (he's not fond of me poking in his pump, rightfully so); if he's low I get choco milk usually, he drinks it pretty much asleep.

Looking forward to having Dex back soon, for that I just go in without waking and check, only waking if needed to verify a high or low. CGM is a great option for kids who don't want to be woken regularly.

6. Hudson_Rocks

Hudson_Rocks Approved members

We test on clean toes, and he rarely wakes for it. We do still wake him for corrections though (hurry up insurance and approve the pump!!) because he prefers to give himself injections.

7. Nancy in VA

Nancy in VA Approved members

He can't hear the Dexcom beeping - that's like the most obnoxious beep I've ever heard!! :eek::eek: I can't believe it doesn't wake him up - I hear it when its in Emma's room and I'm in MINE!! :eek::eek:

8. kimmcannally

kimmcannally Approved members

J sleeps right through his Dexcom alarms too.
    Ever since the day he was dx, he sleeps through BG checks. I just say "finger" and he usually stirs enough to give me one. Or if I already have his hand and he is trying to tug away, I say "finger" and he will quit pulling away from me.

I love that he sleeps through the checks - that many less finger pricks he has to feel. I've changed pump sights and Dexcom sensors while he was asleep too.