- advertisement -

How do I raise blood sugar quickly?

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by TeeTee, Apr 12, 2011.

1. hawkeyegirl

hawkeyegirl Approved members

There has actually been a study done showing that Skittles work as fast as glucose tabs for raising BG. :)

2. Ronin1966

Ronin1966 Approved members

Hello Teeitee:
    Lows are a truly evil game of "chicken" for many... and should never be such!

Regular soda, no more problem... drink it conservately if you want/choose... depending on the size of the bottle/can obviously. Half a can will do the "trick" and pull the proverbial "emergency chute", stop your free-fall at
    least

Lows can and WILL take 30 minutes sometimes to register the "typical" (sic ultra conservative "textbook") cures. You are measuring capillary bloodsugar from the fingertips, NOT using veinous readings (far more accurate) which you'd get from a hospital lab blood draw.

In the REAL world, bottom line, do not be afraid to treat a spooky low FAR more agressively. Don't worry about the "number"... just treat, worry about the numbers AFTER the fact. :cool:

3. Ronin1966

Ronin1966 Approved members

Hello hawkeyegirl:

<<has actually been a study showing Skittles work as fast as glucose tabs for raising BG.

Any idea who did the study??? (The chocolate/fat in em should slow down the process signifigantly)

4. jcanolson

jcanolson Approved members

I always hit the after holiday sales for the mini-bags of Skittles. We have just finished our Halloween stash.

5. kk4jbird

kk4jbird Approved members

Skittles don't have chocolate in them. Maybe you are thinking of Reese's pieces or M&M's. And that would be true for those two products.:cwds:

6. nanhsot

nanhsot Approved members

Skittles have no chocolate and no fat that I am aware of. Are you thinking of some other candy?

7. ecs1516

ecs1516 Approved members

I think there are Skittles in England or Canada that have chocolate in them.

8. dejahthoris

dejahthoris Approved members

9. JeremysDad

JeremysDad Approved members

Here is something else you can try. Life Savers Gummies, available at Wal-Mart. They come in 35oz bags. 10 pieces constitutes a serving size which equals 30G of carbs so a quick 15G snack would require 5 pieces. They are not like the hard Lifesaver candies, They are soft and easily chewed. The first 2 ingredients are Corn Syrup and sugar. They taste better then Skittles.

[​IMG]

10. hawkeyegirl

The downside is that I cannot stop eating these things if they're in my house. Especially the sour ones. Mmmmmmm. :D

11. emm142

emm142 Approved members

Our English skittles don't. Lovely, chewy, sugar-filled goodness. Best low treatment ever. Someone on here (maybe Rae) suggested keeping them in old strip containers.. For me, a one-touch container sized amount of skittles is a perfect treatment for a "normal" low.

12. hawkeyegirl

I think it's Smarties that have chocolate in them in Canada. As far as I know, Skittles are Skittles everywhere. ;)

13. ShanaB

ShanaB Approved members

I can chime in for Canada. Smarties have chocolate. Skittles are universal.

14. emm142

emm142 Approved members

Yep, smarties have chocolate in the UK as well.

15. bibrahim

bibrahim Approved members

For little kids, be careful with these. I had to do the Heimlich on a kid who was choking on these. Luckily it worked. Of course you can choke on anything but due to the size and shape, I think they might be a little big more of a choking hazard for little kids.

16. JeremysDad

JeremysDad Approved members

I just realized what BAD idea Lifesavers gummies are. The 35oz bag is about half gone. Between my wife and myself, we have taken care of most of them. Jeremy eats them and then boluses for them and then has more. When it comes time to take care of a low, there will be nothing left.

Nix that idea. I think I'll go back to Skittles. At least you can get tired of them.

17. kajumom

kajumom Approved members

Wow, I am most surprised not to see this mentioned. We use Gatorade. It is faster acting than any juices and candy because it is so high on the glycemic index. Just be sure it is not G2 (it has lower carbs). Also, then you don't have to wait for them to get it chewed up (My daughter takes forever to eat Skittles, smarties or tabs). No sticky stuff in teeth either. Nothing works as well as this for us. Fast and effective!

18. diabeticmeg

diabeticmeg Approved members

Thank you so much for this suggestion!! I have been buying those crummy tasting expensive glucose tabs which I hate. I bought some skittles today and filled an empty test strip container for my purse. Exactly 10 skittles fit. Perfect!! I snacked on 4 (oops!) as I was filling and watched my dexcom climb hahaha. so I know they will work very well for me. Thank you!!

19. Lisa P.

Lisa P. Approved members

Clicked over here with no intention of posting, but this cracked cracked cracked cracked me up.

We do use glucose tabs, they are too expensive, but at least no one really wants to eat them voluntarily.
    :D

20. hawkeyegirl

I warned you! :p:D